MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Some pictures of my new carrier (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2189)

Jordan Baker 09-07-14 06:49

2 Attachment(s)
Started making this part today. Its the bren tripod bin.

kevin powles 09-07-14 09:14

Bin.

Jordan, when you have time, no hurry could you put up a drawing for that, looks like a nice water trap.

Kevin

Lynn Eades 09-07-14 11:10

Water trap, Yes especially when it's lined with felt.
Nice job Jordan.
It doesn't show in that old thread that you revived, but did you get the details for that Bren butt mount in the front floor centre. I thought I had posted details on that?

Jordan Baker 09-07-14 11:31

Kevin, see the thread on the Mk1 rifle and MG brackets. I already posted a drawing in it.

Lynn, do you mean the mount that sits up front by the drivers left foot? I've got the actual bracket. But I know there should be a kidneyished shaped plate it bolts to.

Lynn Eades 09-07-14 12:42

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pictures.

Ben 09-07-14 13:26

I have a template to hand for the mounting plate if it's of use. Taken from Lynn's original in the pictures

super dave 14-07-14 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 197551)
Here's a couple of pictures.

A question here, does this plate bolt down on another plate as I have one and it has a small square plate welded underneath at the square portion and does not sit level on the floor :confused

Jordan Baker 18-07-14 04:13

3 Attachment(s)
Dave Im not too sure on that plate. I would think it bolts down onto the hull floor and covers the hole.

Finished making the tripod bin the other day. Im getting better at welding and loving every minute of it. I also cut the felt to fit. I found using a zip disk in the hand grinder the easiest way to cut on the angles. Much easier then a knife.

super dave 18-07-14 05:51

2 Attachment(s)
As I said mine has a small square plate welded to the underside of my mount and looks original and is 1/8th thick so maybe it had a gasket of the same thickness that went under it as the mane plate does not sit flush with the floor, See pic. Also my tripod box has whats left of the bottom felt and the 3 holes are 7/8 in diameter for the bolts possibly, see pic.

Jordan Baker 18-07-14 06:00

That standoff is probably to keep the plate level.

Jordan Baker 04-10-14 06:52

2 Attachment(s)
I made up the jack block a few weeks ago for the Carrier. I used a period milling machine for drilling the holes.

kevin powles 04-10-14 11:53

Nice work Jordan, interesting you have put the jack block in facing the carrier, I have mine the other way round, with the later canvas strap fastening, is your the correct way?.

Kevin.

Jordan Baker 06-10-14 11:51

It was copied from the pictures of an original. I do not see how it could fit any other way.

rob love 06-10-14 13:50

Jordan
It looks like you put the two notches on the wrong end in comparison with the opening. Here is a link to some examples you posted previously: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...91&postcount=4

I have always seen the strap holding the jack into the block into the mount as Kevin alludes to.

Jordan Baker 06-10-14 14:30

Look at the pictures again in that link. The notches are on the same end as the metal plate. I simply copied what I saw. It wouldn't surprise me if there were differences.

rob love 07-10-14 00:52

My apologies Jordan....I had to look at the one you made again. I did not see the metal plate.....it's so close to the same colour of the jack that without some contrast I was mistaken for what I was seeing.

Looks perfect. Now you need to make some more for re-sale.

RichardT10829 04-09-16 00:15

looking good Jordan ! its all the little extra's that really complete the radio op's compartment :)

Jordan Baker 23-11-17 20:41

5 Attachment(s)
Back in 2014 I started making some new replacement engine covers for the Carrier. Well jump ahead to now and I finally finished them. I was stuck on making the handle portion due to trying to reliably bend them. Now that I have a shop press I figured why not give it a go. After a couple of trials I figured it out and pressed up 4 of the handles. Today I riveted then on. In the spring I'll get the panels blasted, primed and painted. One more mini project done.