MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VICKERS MK6B's resto (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26465)

George Moore 13-09-17 17:40

Rotary platform and supporting frame

1 Attachment(s)
This id from the IPL......if only we could track the original drawings with dimensions.....if only.
Sorry its a bit feint, I have better, but in larger format.
George.

Attachment 93930

colin jones 13-09-17 22:43

George, that's fantastic as you have just answered a bit more to the puzzle. The drawing here looks like a part of the collective group that I have but I never had that one. Do you have any other drawings.

Richard Farrant 13-09-17 23:17

Hi Colin,
Looking at George's post with the two photos, I am sure these are of Platypus, I can see my cabling, and if you look at the photo looking back past the drivers seat, on the upper left is the air cleaner, which I think was fabricated to a pattern on the Bovington museum's Mk6B. According to the manual it should be rectangular filter, maybe George has illustrations in the parts list?
also, just under the air filter you can just spot the Festoon lamp. Something else just come to mind, the oil cooler, that was made from a Saracen oil cooler if I recall and looked the part.

cheers Richard

colin jones 14-09-17 00:42

Hi Richard, yes they are of platypus as I too have some very similar. Fortunately, I do have an original oil cooler is excellent condition and I do have a drawing of the air cleaner and it is round so perhaps the Bovington one is original. It is great to see a photo of the fuse box lid which I assume is original.

Richard Farrant 14-09-17 01:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by colin jones (Post 242460)
Hi Richard, yes they are of platypus as I too have some very similar. Fortunately, I do have an original oil cooler is excellent condition and I do have a drawing of the air cleaner and it is round so perhaps the Bovington one is original. It is great to see a photo of the fuse box lid which I assume is original.

Colin,
Unfortunately the only photo I have of the Pucka Mk6A is of the instrument panel, but in the others I am sure there was a rectangular air cleaner, when I mentioned this to the guys who were doing the fabricating, they said that they copied the round one from the Bovington one, but that is a Mk6B .. who knows!
The fuse box, I have one of those on another project and it was less cover, they all appear to go missing. In the end on my current job, I decided to make a cover and formed it in copper sheet and soldered together, it looks the part. Here is a picture of the fuse box and cover from a part book on another vehicle, it was a common used item.

colin jones 14-09-17 01:33

4 Attachment(s)
Richard, an interesting point here is the photo of Georges showing the fuse lid differs from the drawing I have as it shows a curved top rather than a pyramid
style and the horn button looks like a bren or land drover style. I believe the air filter would be the original style which looks a bit like the Volks type.
Colin.

Richard Farrant 14-09-17 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin jones (Post 242462)
Richard, an interesting point here is the photo of Georges showing the fuse lid differs from the drawing I have as it shows a curved top rather than a pyramid
style and the horn button looks like a bren or land drover style. I believe the air filter would be the original style which looks a bit like the Volks type.
Colin.

Colin,
that illustration is a bit vague and incorrect, it shows the wire retaining clip as arched, but they are not, see my last post, if it was arched it would not clear the cover when pulled over to remove it. The wire clip is still with the one I have now, think piano wire of the correct diam. would do the job. I think the horn button you refer to is not like on the Pucka one. I will have to try and send the picture to you, I printed off before the old PC died, so not a sharp image but clear enough.

George Moore 14-09-17 10:18

e mail

Colin, I sent a personal message via the website, if you could send me your email address, I have few other odds and photo's to send.

George.

colin jones 14-09-17 13:36

3 Attachment(s)
I got my springs back today for the hatch mech. They did a wonderful job and it is great that you can still take a drawing to someone and they can actually make it for you without it doing a return trip from china nut it too is a dying trade.

George Moore 14-09-17 14:56

Info on its way

Colin, a heads up to say thanks and that I have sent some stuff to you, plus a link for the files I have on dropbox.

Enjoy !

George

colin jones 15-09-17 05:51

5 Attachment(s)
I must say thankyou to George Moore and Richard Farrant for the information they sent me which is of great value. :thup2:
Moving right along, they are now both on their feet and the next stage begins.
Also, thanks to ben for the bolt supplier as it was only 10days after I placed my order they were in my workshop. The supplier here in Adelaide only got back to me the day after my order came from the UK. They also told me it would be about 6-8 weeks before I would get them because they were coming from the UK. I then told her that they don't use sailing ships any more. :confused;)

colin jones 15-09-17 06:29

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm! I just found out how to convert to B&W :)

Richard Farrant 15-09-17 11:04

Hi Colin,
Great work, I reckon you have earned yourself a day off after this milestone!

cheers Richard

Tony Smith 15-09-17 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Farrant (Post 242570)
Hi Colin,
Great work, I reckon you have earned yourself a day off after this milestone!

cheers Richard

And you can take it in December! Keep going. :D

charlie fitton 15-09-17 12:43

"thanks to ben for the blot supplier as it was only 10days after I"

You actually bought a blot?

Dave lean 15-09-17 14:08

rarety

Nothing so rare as a rare Vickers Mk 6b fitted with blots...

Mike Cecil 15-09-17 18:23

Evan rarer, a pair of "Vickers Mk6A f/w Blot, No.1 Mk.1"! Just joking Colin: you are doing a magnificent job and we are all in awe at your skills and the rate at which these gems are coming together. (I'd not like to be footing the bill, though!)

Mike

colin jones 15-09-17 23:19

Blot,............BLOT!......what blot?, :confused who said blot:blink:, I never said blot :nono:, why would I say blot :doh:, never heard of such a silly thing:ergh:, what's a blot :rolleyes. :coffee :coffee
OK, I MADE A MISTAKE, I ADMIT IT, I WAS TIRED ::coffeeSheesh :doh:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-09-17 23:35

Black and white blots are the rarest.

Lynn Eades 16-09-17 07:38

And then there was the Phantom Blot.......

Tony Smith 16-09-17 08:34

Yes, but none of those are Countersnuk.

colin jones 16-09-17 09:55

5 Attachment(s)
After double and triple checking my spelling :teach: :rolleyes :giveup I had quite an eventful day making the drivers hatches which I might add need to be clamped and braced to keep its shape as the angle is critical.

colin jones 16-09-17 09:58

5 Attachment(s)
Some rivets are upside down but they are all flush on the opposite side. There is a lot involved with these hatches.

Howard 17-09-17 01:24

Mr Jones

Once again, Mr Jones, I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.
:cheers: :cheers:

colin jones 17-09-17 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 242657)
Once again, Mr Jones, I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.
:cheers: :cheers:

Said the nut to the bolt :yappy: :yappy:

lynx42 18-09-17 03:02

1 Attachment(s)
You now need two of these Colin to transport your pair of Vickers.

Attachment 94097

I believe that there is one being restored in the UK.

Regards Rick.

Lynn Eades 18-09-17 03:46

Is it a Retriever? If so, there is also one getting tidied up about 25 minutes away from me.

jack neville 18-09-17 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynx42 (Post 242694)
You now need two of these Colin to transport your pair of Vickers.

Attachment 94097

I believe that there is one being restored in the UK.

Regards Rick.

And a Carrier to push it by the looks!

lynx42 18-09-17 04:32

Lynn, it is an AEC/FWD R6T/850. The first ones were an FWD R6T with a Dorman 78 bhp engine and in 1929 AEC took over production and fitted an AEC 95 bhp engine . They were made until 1936. They had planetary gear final reduction in the wheel hubs and that is why there is the big hub caps shown.

lynx42 18-09-17 05:05

Aec/fwd r6t/850

1 Attachment(s)
Colin, you would have these on the road in a few months at the rate of your restorations. Unfortunately they have disappeared from the REME Museum in the UK and no-one knows where they are at the moment.

Attachment 94107

Regards Rick.