MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any trouble accessing MLU lately? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10135)

Vets Dottir 2nd 14-01-08 00:52

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Payne
Thanks Karmen, I'll try those links.

This is a new problem for me. The e-mail links have always worked really well until just recently, in fact until last week, I don't think I've ever had a problem with one.

Has something changed ?

Rich

Nothing has changed (good or bad) as far as I know, but Geoff would be the one to answer as he's the one dealing with this stuff. I know zip about net, servers and software, or any progress in sorting these glitches out. Sorry ...

:)

cliff 14-01-08 01:00

I am getting in OK but replying to PM's and the PM section in general is patheticaly slow. :)

Vets Dottir 2nd 14-01-08 01:17

Quote:

Originally posted by cliff
I am getting in OK but replying to PM's and the PM section in general is patheticaly slow. :)
I find PM's area to be usually extremely slow too.

I also always wonder how many PM's are stored in MLU :eek: wonder if that could slow things down? I dunno. I do know that most forums have a "limit" on how many PM's can be stored at a time, but MLU has no limit. I once had about 3,000 :eek: :D :nono: (which reminds me, time to clean out my PM's again ... am usually too lazy to delete them after reading them .............

cliff 14-01-08 06:02

At 2.51pm local time I could not get in on any of the 3 links but at 3pm local it allowed me in on the usual front door entry and quickly at that! :)

PPS 16-01-08 20:15

Access

E-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y slow to load today, it would not let me in at all by the usual route at all this afternoon.

A bit better now, but still slower than usual moving between Forums etc.

Paul.

cletrac (RIP) 16-01-08 20:41

For the last several days I have to click the retry box a dozen times or more before hooking up. Sometimes I just have to do something else for a couple of hours but it'll eventually let me in.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 16-01-08 21:06

Re: Access

Quote:

Originally posted by PPS
E-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y slow to load today, it would not let me in at all by the usual route at all this afternoon.

A bit better now, but still slower than usual moving between Forums etc.

Paul.

For me too, Paul.... I know they had to reboot a couple of hours ago, but MAPLELEAFUP.ORG has been affected by another DNS hit before & since; I've had a ticket open, will continue to pester them.

I DID uncover that one or more of the servers in the chain (in Vancouver, Washington state) has been acting up something fierce for a couple of days. Periodically, check the following for continuity and timings:

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

http://visualroute.visualware.co.uk/

All the connect times SHOULD be under 100 ms, and preferably in the green. It's the other way around right now... :mad:

Thanks,

Jif

PPS 16-01-08 21:56

Slow connection times

Geoff,

They are useful bits of kit, those two sites.

I am not as computer proficient as some, but I had a play with it and found more info on them than others I have tried.

Has anybody invented a smart missile (air, ground, or sea launched) that could target the IP addresses of some of the w!!!!!s that muck about with this and other sites?

Paul.

Jon Skagfeld 17-01-08 01:35

MLU access

Sunray:

FWIW & FYI, I still must use tortuga to get in.

Bullshit WIE error msg still comes up when I try to log in the "normal" way.

"So, apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" :rolleyes

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 17-01-08 13:37

The MLU Link

Is anyone in on the MAPLELEAFUP.ORG address right now, or are you all on TORTUGA.DNSROUTER.COM/~MLU/ ? An hour ago at home I was on MLU, but now at work I'm just getting the DNS error crap - I need to know if this is just me here behind my company firewall, or universal...

Thanks,

Jif

Vets Dottir 2nd 17-01-08 14:29

Morning Geoff.

AT 6:27 a.m. here, I was just able to come in the mlu.org AND class5 like a whiz, tortuga a bit slow though. Tortuga still the one I can usually get in on.Am posting via tortuga right now. Too lazy to login anew through the other links ;)

PPS 17-01-08 14:40

Slow connection times

I came on through .org a while ago, it was a bit slow loading but there were no error messages.

It has been sitting idling since, but loaded quickly when asked.

Paul.

PPS 17-01-08 14:48

Slow connection times

Gone slow again, especially PM's

Paul

Grant Bowker 17-01-08 16:39

Jan 17 10:38 EST (Canada) .org failed, tortuga is working.

Grant

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 17-01-08 16:48

Strange as it may seem, I'm posting this right now from the MLU address which is, admittedly, a trifle slow but otherwise working. I also have Tortuga open in another window.

Earlier, it was just before 0900 when my mail service came back up. Prior to that I had nothing, yet all of the other domains on my server are fine -- ergo, it's the DNS server and/or its settings for MLU. I've advised the host accordingly and will see where this leads.

Cheers,

Jif

wim sikkelbein 17-01-08 18:20

am using the normal mapleleafup.org adress right now and it's sloooowwww.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 17-01-08 19:12

DNS Error Again

...sometime between 1230 EST and 1300 and still extant. Does everyone else see this too?

Jif

Keith Webb 17-01-08 19:51

5.35 AM my time

Both options are dropping out intermittently. :mad:

Tony Smith 18-01-08 22:33

I'm in via .org at the moment, first time I've been able in days. This server problem is giving me the chronic S :mad: :mad: ts!

aj.lec 26-04-08 01:59

Is anyone else having trouble with accessing mlu the last couple of days ?
ive tried both .org and tortuga with about 1 in 5 getting through
once in it is very slow or non responsive going between threads and the like
thanks

Vets Dottir 2nd 26-04-08 02:09

That's a definate for me since last night through ALL access routes, off and on. I was going to post in this thread about it earlier when I got in, but I ended up giving up waiting for the damned page to load MINUTES still had not happened so I just left. Times I've got in since last night especially is extremely slow to load pages or I end up giving up.

I don't know what the problem is, nor how to fix it. Geoff is on occassionally in the day but is away from home until about Thursday and only has intermittant access until home again, but maybe he can agitate the server people or something to look into this and fix it or something :bang:

Sorry to all for the frustrations and wish I could fix it for us all!!!

Vets Dottir 2nd 26-04-08 02:30

fer cryin out loud ... I let the thing sit for 17 minutes after hitting "post" and it sat spinning saying "posting" ... argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see it went in though but don't know how long AFTER I hit post that it registered ................... :fry:

Vets Dottir 2nd 26-04-08 02:31

and that last one I hit post at 6:30 my time and it entered immediately took me to the thread with it showing up!

hrpearce 26-04-08 02:34

Same problem here :bang:Just logged off because I was getting noware, logged straight back on and it is working fine :giveup been doing this on and off for a couple of weeks :coffee

Lynn Eades 26-04-08 05:50

Getting it on

I've been trying to get on the site for about an hour. Its been a problem for weeks. Usual stuff, wrong address, not connected, or site is down.
Anyhow, having read the troubles some of the other guys (and Karmen)are having, I think I'm quite lucky.

Vets Dottir 2nd 26-04-08 06:41

Yes. I'm quite cranky with the frequent non-workings of this place and want to toss my :fry: :fry: :fry: ... if ONLY I could lift and toss the darned things :bang: Too many problems and too often and for far too long is what I say. I NEVER have this much or frequent troubles in any other forums and I visit some very high traffic ones too. I imagine the contributors/supporters if having same problems to be very frustrated and irritated so I hope the server gets its crap together or else a new server IF that is what the problems are ....

(psssst ... I told ya I'm cranky and I meant it today :( )

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 26-04-08 14:11

Hi all,

Unfortunately, it seems my email address is under attack right now. By extension, that means they're bombarding the server, which would account for the slowness. I'm going to have to remove all trace of my sunray address from the site, and replace it accordingly; in the meantime, use my corowa30 _at_ sympatico.ca address for coms and have patience while I shift attention away from the site. I know it's frustrating - I could cheerfully choke the life out of these bastards! :no4:

BTW, I'm in on all three addresses right now and it's not TOO slow... but it varies.

gordon 26-04-08 15:38

Not been able to get in for a couple of days

I think it was Wednesday that I last managed to get MLU to load.

Not a local thing, as all my other stuff loaded at the normal speed.

Gordon

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 26-04-08 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon (Post 97620)
I think it was Wednesday that I last managed to get MLU to load.

Not a local thing, as all my other stuff loaded at the normal speed.

Gordon

I can only repeat that I've seen very little of this, but HAVE seen it slow at times... don't forget, there are four ways of getting in. Bookmark all four below and try them in order if you have difficulty:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/

http://mapleleafup.org/forums/

http://tortuga.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/forums/

http://www.class-five.com/~mlu/forums/

Unless they're rebooting the server, at least one of these WILL work for you. The problem with the DNS error is that because there are SO many requests to resolve (thank you, hijackers :mad: ), it stalls out from time to time. On my SUNRAY account alone I have 28 mb of spam-related text messages sitting on the server right now. This address has to go. :eek:

Clive_Dakers 26-04-08 18:52

2 other military type forums I frequent have been targeted by hackers recently. One of them was showing symptoms similar to those affecting this one, the attacks were from from a some nutter advertising a certain religious fundamentalism leaning of a type most represented in the middle east. Doing a whois.com search of one of the websites he was advertising shows that he was in South Africa and his Server Hosting Admins were in Toronto.