MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member/Carrier owner in Alberta Canada (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16793)

Bob Brown 28-06-11 06:06

New Member/Carrier owner in Alberta Canada

I have been reading your forums for some time now and they are GREAT!

Very happy I'm a member now. All that knowledge out there.

I have a Universal Carrier MK I (and other two tubs) and any help is much appreciated. Love to make contacts with Alberta Canada locals with the same projects. Project coming along great so far.

Found a friend of a friend that is redoing the rubber on my boogie wheels and is interested in doing others.

Is there a resource for serial numbers to help identfy my unit. My main carrier serial # has an arrow with a circle around it pointing up before and after the number. The number is 8119. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Brown

Dave Schindel 28-06-11 07:18

Hi Bob,sorry I can't help with the serial# but others can. I am interested to hear about the re-rubbering of your wheels.I have at least 2 that need it.Any idea of cost yet?
Dave
And welcome aboard!

RichardT10829 28-06-11 07:48

does it have all of its armour ? can you take some images ? the lower tub number is located on the angle iron which mounts the rear armour (on the outside) on the gunners side between the first two rivets

Hans Mulder 28-06-11 18:49

And if you are looking to get rid of a spare tub...

Bob Brown 28-06-11 18:53

Update

Thanks for the responses guys.

Regarding the rubber....he says that he will sand blast, prime, turn down the old rubber, reinstall new rubber with part number showing in rubber. Hasn't come up with a price yet as he has to do a few (I'm giving him a couple to start). He figures 200-300 CDN.

No armour left on it but it purrs like a kitten. Good drive train. Found the tub number "8119" right where you said it should be.

Will post a few pictures.

Thanks
Bob

Bob Brown 29-06-11 01:46

Photos 2011-06-20

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some photo's.

Attachment 42444 Attachment 42445 Attachment 42446 Attachment 42447

Doug Lavoie 29-06-11 03:19

Welcome to the carrier world. Try and contact Rick DeBruyn on the armour bits. He has some parts being made at the present time.
Doug

Jordan Baker 29-06-11 03:31

Not a bad start. Its got a post war engine and it looks like they made new front mounts for it.

Mine was similar to that condition when i got it 7yrs ago.

Dave Schindel 29-06-11 07:08

Looks like a great start Bob.

RichardT10829 29-06-11 10:50

the armour has been taken off with a degree of sympathy ! this will be an easy one to re armour in comparison to some i have seen.

Roddy de Normann 09-07-11 16:05

Bob -

Had a look ref your number '8119'....this is not the veh T-number as this would then refer to a Matilda II. I suggest this might be the Manufacturer's number - can you see if there is a T-No on the armour upper edges...?

Roddy

universalgrl 09-07-11 18:35

MK I carrier restoration.

Hello Bob
The ultimate sporce of carrier information is Nigel Watsons books on the " Universal Carriersvol I and vol II". Beg, borrow, steal or buy direct from Nigel in Scotland. Well worth every penny.
Vol I lists all the carriers alloted to Cdn units, the nearest serial # to yours is 819 which was issued to M.T. Borden.
If you are planning to install a radio, Sir Plus in the west Ed mall had about 20 WS 19 sets a year ago.
I also need the rubber on my wheels redone, 2 have no rubber at all, but the idlers are in perfect condition.
I have my MK I carrier listed under the restoration section.

Regards
Roberta Melville
AKA universalgrl

Bob Brown 11-07-11 07:54

Rubber

Just got a couple of wheels off yesterday. Taking them in next week after I get back from British Columbia to put rubber on them. As soon as they are done I will post pictures. Thanks Guys

eddy8men 11-07-11 23:20

really nice straight carrier you've got there.

good luck with the resto.

rick