MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New UCW project (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21393)

Dusonn 10-12-13 10:31

New UCW project

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all, if it seems to be rather impossible to make a new registration on the MLU forum, I am sending few pics in behalf of my friend Petr, owner of the new UCW project over here. Hope you will like it. A lot of work ahead, but apart from cutted armor, all main components are present. Dont have serial number, but we think that its MK.II late production (british made?) or Mk.III? It seems that it have Mk.III air inlets and motor cover (well remains of it). Any comments would be appreciated.
I also wonder if there are any other owners of similar UCWs (not AOPs)?
And if there will be a chance to make a registration for Petr, it would be much easier for him to keep him updated about the project progress :)
Thanks and regards :salute:
Duson

Ron Pier 10-12-13 10:48

3 Attachment(s)
Hmmm! Someone else told me that they gave up trying to register for this site?? Anyway here is my MK2* from 1944. Ron

Michael R. 10-12-13 13:54

Good to hear from you Dušan. Is that British welded hull construction Petr has there?
There are a number of indicators other than the obvious welded hull and lack of rivets with supporting angle iron brackets.

I am noticing the steering gearbox, driver seat upper bracket, solid (i.e.: non-cast) Stacey attachment, cable access opening through divisional wall near driver right elbow.
Can you post some engine detail images? You may find a serial number on the block.

Once it is restored it will make a nice compliment to the mortar carrier and outstanding Windsor Carrier your group has access to at the Military Technical Museum Lešany.

Dusonn 10-12-13 14:49

The details you mentioned are pointing to british made UCW, am I right? Sorry for poor pics, but you got all the clues! :note:
What do you think about the air inlets / hole in the division plate? I suppose its Mk.III style, however I have seen Mk.II with this style of inlets. A bit confusing :)
Petr will send better photos incl. engine number, hull number etc. asap. (there is a 24 studs engine).
Thanks for comments!

Michael R. 10-12-13 16:04

So many items point to British manufacture, including the water can rack. The part numbers off the brackets may also support this. The divisional wall may indicate a lack of fastening holes for the ventilator boxes, pointing to a MK-III welded hull.

Ben 10-12-13 16:13

I think MR is correct. British steering wheel and what looks like a bishops steering gear. British steering wheels are very hard to find in any condition, that one looks very good. Nice project, upper armour is pretty straight forward, looks like most of the frame is still there too.

Ben

RichardT10829 10-12-13 17:43

Yep agree welded hull, mk3 it has the removable glacis plate section for the pedals too.

shaun 10-12-13 20:15

That's a really nice project , should be on the road in no time . Arnhem next year ??????

Dusonn 10-12-13 21:11

Thanks for all the nice comments!
Will see, it all depends on the spare time. Hopefuly it became a runner soon. Perhaps Petr could tell you more - if he will be ever allowed to join the forum? Hanno, please! :)

Dusonn 15-12-13 11:01

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some promised pics of welded Mk.III's in use of Czechoslovak Independent Armoured Brigade Group in UK and in the Europe 1944-45. I would say these are the same type as Petr's.
Hope you will find them interesting (photos by T.Jambor).
Would like to ask you guys, if here is anybody who owns the same british made welded UC? Thanks!

Ben 15-12-13 11:26

Lynn Eades owns a welded hull MKIII I think?? I know he's off line for a few days but Im sure he'll let you know when he's back, not sure if it's British or Canadian.

Ben

Marc van Aalderen 15-12-13 13:37

1 Attachment(s)
This one was fore sale a couple of years ago here in the Netherlands. Never saw it again after it's sale to a new owner.

Attachment 62121

Cheers,

Dusonn 15-12-13 16:38

Thanks both!!
I have seen pics of the "Dutch" one on the forum and in fact its the only one such restored carrier (now missing :) ) I found so far. Anyone knows where it is now?
I am surprised, it seems that they are pretty rare. Hopefuly this is not the only one survived on the forum...

Nigel Watson 15-12-13 21:02

Great project

I notice the interesting double back shelf arrangement. Is it original do you think? Are the Stacey attachments in the correct holes?

Great to see another carrier in Czech land! Brilliant.

shaun 15-12-13 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusonn (Post 189309)
Here are some promised pics of welded Mk.III's in use of Czechoslovak Independent Armoured Brigade Group in UK and in the Europe 1944-45. I would say these are the same type as Petr's.
Hope you will find them interesting (photos by T.Jambor).
Would like to ask you guys, if here is anybody who owns the same british made welded UC? Thanks!

I restored a welded hull many years ago ( it's now in Greece ). You will be pleased to know they are a lot easier to restore than the riveted carriers. There are several differences ... Engine covers, fuel tanks and air intake to name a few.

Dusonn 16-12-13 11:48

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Watson (Post 189322)
I notice the interesting double back shelf arrangement. Is it original do you think?

You mean these leather straps on the left side in the rear compartment? Actualy there are 4 of them. I think they are genuine and hopefuly they could tell us what was the original purpose/stowage layout of this particualr carrier. One theory is that they are for MMG ammo boxes. I was checking all available stowage diagrams and I am not sure... Found one with such straps (attached pics.), but have no idea if its it and what it was exactly for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun (Post 189322)
You will be pleased to know they are a lot easier to restore than the riveted carriers.

Yes, thats right and we are glad of it :)

Hanno Spoelstra 16-12-13 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusonn (Post 189171)
Perhaps Petr could tell you more - if he will be ever allowed to join the forum? Hanno, please! :)

Dusan,

He's on the waiting list. Sorry, I am very busy but hope to process all new applicants during the Christmas holiday. So have a little more patience, please ...

Hanno

Dusonn 17-12-13 09:57

Thank you Hanno, no problem!

Nigel Watson 18-12-13 00:11

Rear shelf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusonn (Post 189333)
You mean these leather straps on the left side in the rear compartment? Actualy there are 4 of them. I think they are genuine and hopefuly they could tell us what was the original purpose/stowage layout of this particualr carrier. One theory is that they are for MMG ammo boxes. I was checking all available stowage diagrams and I am not sure... Found one with such straps (attached pics.), but have no idea if its it and what it was exactly for.

Yes, thats right and we are glad of it :)

Hi Dusan
It was the shelf along the back I was meaning. It looks as if it may have been added later and slots cut for the rear lifting eyes......or not! The back shelf on carriers usually folded down where it met the track mudguards at the back. Interesting though.
Nigel

Dusonn 18-12-13 14:01

1 Attachment(s)
I see now! :)
It seems to be the same shelf as seen on "the Dutch" one carrier (mentioned in Marc van Aalderen's post above) - please see detail. I would say these two carries are pretty similar ("the Dutch" one is marked No.1 Mk.IIW though).
Possibly late production variant?

Dusonn 30-12-13 22:16

3 Attachment(s)
In behalf of Petr (hopefuly he will be able to write a posts on his own soon):

"Nice present under my Xmas tree - two bins over the gasoline tanks. In perfect condition, original color, original stencils. Great addition to my carrier. Thank you, Santa :)"

Dusonn 06-01-14 22:31

2 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen, again one silly question regarding Petr's carrier: Have you ever seen such oil cooler on the UC's? I know the common "tube" type, but now I am talking about the very late carrier's production. Perhaps there was a design change (U.S. GAEA Ford engine)?
Thanks a lot for opinions!

Dusonn 16-02-14 21:22

3 Attachment(s)
In behalf of PetrB:
"Today I got surprised by my carrier (first but certainly not the last time :) )
I spent many hours trying to take out pulley from the generator. When I had almost gave up (and partialy damaged pulley and shaft) I accidentaly found out that this generator has threaded pulley instead of usual woodruff key.
Its Ford Canada 6V 32A generator.
So beware! :) "

Dusonn 22-02-14 15:16

In behalf of PetrB:
" Would like to ask you for an advice: What is the scale of the contract No.'s for the british made Mk.IIIw universal carriers from 1944-45? If its known...
Many thanks for help in advance!
Petr"

Petr Brezina 08-03-14 22:39

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I'm in :) - thank you Hanno!!!
Happy I can join this great forum and share with you my project's updates.
I'm slowly getting there, some parts primed, some repaired, currently working on the transmission (still waiting for new reverse idler gear) and carburetor. Lot of work ahead but it's a part of fun, right? :cheers:

Lynn Eades 09-03-14 00:39

Hi Petr, Welcome to the forum.
I have a British MkIII Armoured O.P. (AOP)
The MkIII had no air duct (scoop)
Mine has the same access plate at the front as yours.
You have some parts that I don't know, and 1 I would like measurements from (the wiring cover in the first photo,on the left)

Would you be able to post photos of the engine bay?

Petr Brezina 09-03-14 12:32

3 Attachment(s)
Surely, no problem, will send you dimensions a detailed photos. Do you mean this one - marked with arrow?
Check pics - this is all I have got from the engine covers.

Lynn Eades 09-03-14 13:13

Hi Petr (correct this time) that is the one. The cover for the cables beside the driver.
Have you established where your carrier was made yet? (Canada or U.K.)
I would like to see a photo of the engine bed rails.

Petr Brezina 09-03-14 13:31

1 Attachment(s)
I see, sorry, dont get it. Pic added. I would say its UK made.

Petr Brezina 09-03-14 23:04

1 Attachment(s)
Done. Must say it again - this carb is just beautiful piece of engineering. Im looking forward to the connecting and setting :D