MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Staghound hull MG casement? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29934)

Jack Geratic 17-03-19 18:33

Staghound hull MG casement?

3 Attachment(s)
Been putting together some markings for Bronco's 1/35 scale Staghound, and I end up running out of room on the glacis plate, such that the arrangement does not quite match that of a period photo:

Attachment 106095

Attachment 106096

I've taken a measurement of the width of the kit part (cast mound including the weld bead), and then placed that over a scan of the glacis plate. Placing that unit of measure three times across the glacis, it ends up extending past the kit part.

Attachment 106097

Using the same method on an actual photo, the result is different. So wondering if maybe the kit part is tad large.

Anyone have access to official blueprints, or actual vehicle and provide a measurement of the width for the MG cast mound? The height measurement against the glacis plate would be good to have too if possible.

regards,
Jack

marco 22-03-19 22:36

1 Attachment(s)
Jack,

See attached sketch.

Marco

Jack Geratic 24-03-19 08:09

Marco, thank you so much for providing that sketch and measurements. Am assuming the width of the machine gun mound includes the weld bead?

So we have:

- total glacis width (at narrowest point) 52 + 410 + 817 = 1279mm
scale @ 1/35 = 36.54mm
kit part = 35.4mm ... so glacis kit part is short by 1.14mm

- mg mound width (plus weld bead) = 410mm
scale @ 1/35 = 11.7mm
kit part = 12.2mm ... so not that bad, only 0.5mm too wide

- distance of mound to glacis edge = 817mm
scale @ 1/35 = 23.34mm
kit measurement = 20.5 mm ... so mound has to be moved over by about 2.84mm

Some time tomorrow will draw up a new glacis on the computer to see if the markings fit better. Again thanks very much for this.

regards,
Jack

marco 24-03-19 10:01

Jack,

Yes, the dimension is including the weld bead.

Marco

Jack Geratic 24-03-19 19:53

2 Attachment(s)
So here the computed results in image form:

Attachment 106193

Here we have markings in place - I see more space plus some breathing room finally on the bottom edge:

Attachment 106192

My only concern now are how the rest of the glacis measures up on Bronco's kit. There was the widening at it's narrows point, but maybe the complete sides need to be widened by the same amount? Also the overall height of the glacis, but this can be difficult to measure since the top edge is curved.

Marco, do you still have that tape measure handy?

regards,
Jack

marco 25-03-19 18:37

1 Attachment(s)
Jack,

See attached sketch.

Marco

Jack Geratic 25-03-19 21:46

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Marco, thanks once again for your help.

This second diagram you have posted is quite informative. The base width of the glacis at it's bottom edge has Bronco's kit only short by @ 0.65mm - I can live with that.

The other unit value of 245mm is interesting. That scaled down @ 1/35 is 7mm, while the Bronco measure is only about 5mm. This doesn't necessarily mean the kit part is short by 2mm, could be just the angled section above it is wrong or a combination there of.

Difficult to tell exactly because your drawing has been skewed in perspective, but it seems the mg mound is basically square shape at it's base- so it's height and width should be equal?

Only three more measurements and then, I think, this can be put to rest. Any values to input for below?

Attachment 106211

regards,
Jack

marco 27-03-19 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
Jack,

Hereby the dimensions you are looking for.
The base from the mg mount is nearly square, the vertical dimension being slightly less than the width.

Marco

Jack Geratic 27-03-19 21:52

1 Attachment(s)
Marco, still more thanks to you for all your help. Here are the additional measurements in light blue bars;

Attachment 106251

Have raised slightly the mound and compressed it's height to reflect the new information. It's final height though is with a question mark.

Overall glacis height could have 0.5mm added but not really necessary - only if one wants a bit more space for the markings, in which case I would add that at the bottom edge.

The headlights are also very close, only 0.7mm off when measuring from their centers.

regards,
Jack