MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Perfect Tool (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26743)

David Dunlop 15-12-16 02:34

The Perfect Tool

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a last minute little stocking stuffer you might want to add to your workshop, or perhaps give to a mechanically inclined friend.

One end is Metric, the other Imperial. :D

David

cletrac (RIP) 15-12-16 04:40

They rated those double ended crescent wrenches by the size of the jaws. eg 8-10 inch had one jaw the size of an 8" and the other the size of a 10" crescent. I don't know what ever happened to mine.

Tony Smith 15-12-16 12:46

I need a Whitworth one, but I've never seen one.

John Genereux 15-12-16 15:19

Do they come in metric and S.A.E.?
:)

maple_leaf_eh 15-12-16 16:25

Are there left handed versions, asks Ned Flanders of the Leftorium?

http:// simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Leftorium

Joćo Freitas 15-12-16 18:01

No way with metric, sae, or others :eek:
This wrenchs are always forgeted at lowest part of toolbox, if one end is with rust and do not move, we have, possibly, the other end . . . :thup:

Chris Suslowicz 16-12-16 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 232301)
I need a Whitworth one, but I've never seen one.

You can use the next size up BSF version.

Chris.
(I'm still looking for one in BA so I can overhaul the turbo encabulator.)

chris vickery 17-12-16 02:02

If anyone needs, I have for sale:
1 metric ball peen hammer
1 cable stretcher
1 smoke shifter
1 bucket of steam
plus assorted odds, ends and do-dads.
PMs please

Lauren Child 17-12-16 19:19

Have they got one with curved jaws for rounded nuts?

Chris Suslowicz 17-12-16 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren Child (Post 232373)
Have they got one with curved jaws for rounded nuts?

Try looking under "Garden Tools" for a mole wrench - they're intended for getting moles out of your lawn, but work quite well on rounded nuts.

Chris.

maple_leaf_eh 17-12-16 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz (Post 232336)
You can use the next size up BSF version.

Chris.
(I'm still looking for one in BA so I can overhaul the turbo encabulator.)

When you find one, I have the manuals on lambskin vellum bound in four-ring binders.

Sometimes when doing manual labour, my mind wanders back to remember classroom lessons drummed into me by an old master craftsman.

'Fish or cut bait.'
'Use the correct tool correctly.'
'Filbert head screwdrivers for the adjustment rods to the variable volubility control panel.' and,
'Grapple grommets are not to be used as beer coasters.'

Why he thought the last one was important, I'll never know.

Lauren Child 19-12-16 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz (Post 232375)
Try looking under "Garden Tools" for a mole wrench - they're intended for getting moles out of your lawn, but work quite well on rounded nuts.

Cheers :)

-Lauren

Peter Phillips 21-12-16 02:01

My wife has a double ended tool just like that, its called a shoe! You can wear it and hammer with it.

Now go get me some hangar line and prop wash. We did send a FNG (no hook Private) to the CQ truck to get grass seed to plant over a trench we filled in; the CQ played along nicely I might add.

universalgrl 21-12-16 17:21

The perfect tool

And the air force privates were always looking for buckets of prop wash and 50 yards of flight line.
And if anybody got tasked looking for a pair of left handed wire twisters I actually have one.

Robert Bergeron 21-12-16 20:04

A long long time ago , fresh out of basic , i got tasked by a nice Seargent to fetch the keys to the parade square ....at the Regimental Ops office ! Chit , what a reception i got .

Robin Craig 21-12-16 21:50

In the UK jape of the time was being sent by the intake squad Sgt down to the stores to ask for a what was heard as "a long weight and a clump" which ended up being a long wait on the bench opposite the civvy storemen's office while they brewed tea and read the paper and oogled at the page 3 girl and generally ignored you.

When the recruit finally developed the courage and went up to the counter and rang the bell (not a good thing to do to the storemen, who knew you were there and could see you but ignored you) and they came out and said "what do you want?" and the recruit said " I'm here for the long weight and the clump they would reply in a jiffy "you have had your long wait" and clip you round the head and retort "and there is the clump".

Very amusing for someone I am sure

Paul Taylor 09-02-17 13:45

Years ago I worked in a good old fashioned hardware shop, stocked everything with lots of rambling store rooms in the cellar. A regular customer came in one day and asked the holiday help for a left handed ratchet screwdriver, we gave him about half an hour of poking around in the very extensive cellar before we put him out of his misery. A week or so later another regular came in and asked the same lad for a left handed bagging hook (such a thing does exist, its a form of scythe), took us 10 mins and a cup of tea to calm the customer down again.