MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sherman III at Base Borden (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33559)

Tony 22-07-22 16:17

Sherman III at Base Borden

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone , I keep seeing a WW2 Sherman III with VVSS at Base Borden near the Museum . I noticed the engine was still in it . Anyone know the history behind it ? The turret has a blue triangle with the number 8 on it . Just want to know the history behind it .

Thanks
Tony

Colin Alford 22-07-22 21:03

Tony,

That tank was modified for the installation of the Canadian Indestructible Roller Device (CIRD) mine roller.

I have not found any historic paperwork indicating when it became part of the RCAC Museum collection. To the best of my knowledge, the painted markings are not original to the tank.

It does have two engine blocks loosely sitting in the engine compartment and they are in very poor shape. See this link for a couple of images of the engine compartment when we opened it up about a year ago: https://www.facebook.com/BordenMilitaryMuseum/photos

Colin

Tony 23-07-22 04:20

Thanks Colin but I’m not on Facebook.Any other way of getting the pictures ?

Hanno Spoelstra 23-07-22 10:42

Cird

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Alford (Post 287774)
That tank was modified for the installation of the Canadian Indestructible Roller Device (CIRD) mine roller.

Read more about the CIRD here: https://www.mapleleafup.nl/g104/cird.htm
The dozen or so Sherman tanks converted were based on the Sherman V (M4A4), one of which was found at the Canadian Forces Base Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where it stood on the base golf course in the Gore Training Area. It was later acquired by the Canadian War Museum at Ottawa. I have not seen this in the listings of the War Trophy’s being shipped back.

The subject M4A2 may have been a development vehicle which was not used in Europe.

This is conjecture as there is little information about this ingenious Canadian development.

Grant Bowker 23-07-22 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 287776)
Thanks Colin but I’m not on Facebook.Any other way of getting the pictures ?

Strange, I'm not on facebook either but the provided link did let me see the photos from my desktop PC (including clcking the photos to enlarge them). I've no idea why you and I are having different results (perhaps if you were viewing from a mobile device??? or if the network you were viewing from has banned Facebook i.e. employer views Facebook as personal use?).

Tony 23-07-22 13:55

OK ....DUH !!! , I saw them now on facebook . I just clicked on photos . Thanks for the help . I keep going to Base Borden and end up at the Tank Park . Consecrated Ground . I'm a big Sherman Tank fan . I wouldn't mind buying one if I won lottery money or even restoring one . Any idea what the process would be if you wanted to buy one from the Base ?

Michael R. 23-07-22 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 287781)
OK ....DUH !!! , I saw them now on facebook . I just clicked on photos . Thanks for the help . I keep going to Base Borden and end up at the Tank Park . Consecrated Ground . I'm a big Sherman Tank fan . I wouldn't mind buying one if I won lottery money or even restoring one . Any idea what the process would be if you wanted to buy one from the Base ?

Yes! A special place.

As for buying an M4 series tank from the base: :teach:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 23-07-22 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. (Post 287782)
As for buying an M4 series tank from the base: :teach:

Once you figure out how to do that let me know. I want their Churchill.

rob love 23-07-22 20:17

I did hear back, decades ago, that a movie company was filming on or near the base and needed a Sherman to blow up. The example in front of the Sgts & WOs mess was procured for $10K and used as such. So it may have been done in the past, but doubtful today.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 23-07-22 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 287784)
I did hear back, decades ago, that a movie company was filming on or near the base and needed a Sherman to blow up. The example in front of the Sgts & WOs mess was procured for $10K and used as such. So it may have been done in the past, but doubtful today.

So the Churchill is mine if I tell them I'm making a movie and want to blow it up? And better yet, I'll get a government grant to cover the cost if I tell them the movie will be 100% Canadian Content and will revise Canadian history to the latest 'woke' standard. Nothing left to do but clean out a space for it in the garage....

Tony 23-07-22 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 287785)
So the Churchill is mine if I tell them I'm making a movie and want to blow it up? And better yet, I'll get a government grant to cover the cost if I tell them the movie will be 100% Canadian Content and will revise Canadian history to the latest 'woke' standard. Nothing left to do but clean out a space for it in the garage....

No kidding, I’ll sell my soul for one of the Shermans there 😆