MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New User Registrations temporarily prevented (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19447)

Hanno Spoelstra 18-11-12 16:15

New User Registrations temporarily prevented

Due to the high number of spammers registering on this forum I have temporarily prevented anyone new from registering. Anyone attempting to register will be told that we are not accepting new registrations at this time.

If you have legitimate reasons to want to register, please check our full membership requirements here. If you agree to the terms, please us the "contact us" button at the bottom of each page.

Thanks for your understanding!

Hanno
Maple Leaf Up Administrator

Hanno Spoelstra 23-11-12 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 172661)
If you have legitimate reasons to want to register, please check our full membership requirements here.

Just a heads to for the people who want to register by mail, the first requirement is that all new User Names must contain your first name and surname.

Thank you!

Regards,
Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 07-05-14 07:59

Please note we cannot accept new subscriptions until further notice.

Best regards,
Hanno

Jan Thompson 07-05-14 14:30

Hi Hanno
If there are any people from Australia wanting to register you are welcome to send me an email to check if they are known in the military vehicle fraternity. My database of people with email is now not far off 1000.

Robin Craig 11-05-14 13:51

I have a bunch of people who I know who cant get on here.

R

Darrin Wright 12-05-14 09:34

I also know of several people with restoration projects who are becoming disheartened with the inability to get on this forum and the lack of feedback when they follow the instructions in this sticky.

Perhaps they should, as Keith Webb has posted, look at alternative forums/social media to contribute to?

What is the problem?

Private_collector 12-05-14 09:46

Are the fraudulent attempts by people or are they being attempted by some sort of automated system? If the latter, wouldn't a form of 'type what you see' at time of joining eliminate the problem?

I also know folks that would like to be members. Glad this didn't happen around the time I joined, because MLU has proven priceless to the process of restoration!!! Shame to think others might not have the same opportunity.

Keith Webb 12-05-14 10:31

Posting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin Wright (Post 195277)
I also know of several people with restoration projects who are becoming disheartened with the inability to get on this forum and the lack of feedback when they follow the instructions in this sticky.

Perhaps they should, as Keith Webb has posted, look at alternative forums/social media to contribute to?

What is the problem?

Darrin, just to clarify I wasn't suggesting people go elsewhere... hopefully the situation with registrations can be rectified soon, I now these problems are being addressed.

Darrin Wright 12-05-14 11:01

I know Keith, just broadening our media horizons. :)

But what options do others have if they cannot get onto this informative community of like minded people? Just watch from the sidelines?

Lynn Eades 12-05-14 12:16

I am sure that, for what ever it is, Hanno has a good reason for advising that nothing is going to change, for now. It is only about a week ago that he posted.
Thinking about his voluntary work load, it must be time I made another donation. Thank you Hanno, for what you do. :salute:

Hanno Spoelstra 12-05-14 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 195285)
I am sure that, for what ever it is, Hanno has a good reason for advising that nothing is going to change, for now. It is only about a week ago that he posted.
Thinking about his voluntary work load, it must be time I made another donation. Thank you Hanno, for what you do. :salute:

And thank you Lynn, for bearing with me :)

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 12-05-14 22:25

All,

The main cause is lack of time :giveup
  • If self-registration is enabled, the forum administrator gets swamped with spammers who have scripts running to register on forums across the internet. So we need a SW upgrade to be able to identify spammers, but for this we need to select a new SW package first as the current one is going nowhere. This takes time.
  • So for the meantime we have to revert to manually entering new users. This takes a lot of time.
  • In the meantime I am looking for a new forum hosting provider, which again takes time.
  • Then we need to migrate the database to the new SW. This takes time.
In short (and I have asked before): if there are any (prospective) members with the required IT skills to solve these problems, please step forward!

Regards,
Hanno

Private_collector 13-05-14 09:10

Yeah, I guess it's a lot for one person.

Mijn excuses als ik klonk gefrustreerd. Ik had vergeten u actief waren dit alle door uzelf, Hanno.

Now, I dont know what all that computer speak was about, but i'm glad you do. Some of us are still living in the 20th century. Not the last decade or so, either. :D

eddy8men 02-06-14 00:06

lol i've got a freind that's restoring a grant and he can't get on the forum, he was taking it personally. i will tell him to be patient.

thanks for all your hard work hanno

rick

Robin Craig 28-06-14 21:58

Could I perhaps suggest a vouching system too help speed up people getting on here?

There are some of us who are somewhat known entities and could perhaps have people we know fast tracked in?

Would save some admins some work?

Benefits us all

R

rob love 28-06-14 22:25

I was saying the same thing just the other day.....new users could be vouched for by current members in good standing. That may reduce some of the backload.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-06-14 22:26

Like I said, the current registration process is labour intensive, there are only two moderators who can put members in the database and we lack time. So for now it just a matter of queuing up and wait patiently - sorry people :o

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-06-14 22:40

PS what would really help is a member with well developed IT skills: technical skills to set up, host and run a forum like this.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Hanno

Andrew 04-09-14 21:49

Hey Hanno, ever find anyone? PM me if not with requirements, or if you need help anywhere else on here
Andy
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 197112)
PS what would really help is a member with well developed IT skills: technical skills to set up, host and run a forum like this.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 09-09-14 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 199771)
Hey Hanno, ever find anyone? PM me if not with requirements, or if you need help anywhere else on here

Andy, email sent

Thanks!
Hanno

Andrew 09-09-14 02:36

Thanks, i emailed you back :)