MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sexton Wireless Cage Protective Screen (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23808)

Chris Johnson 20-05-15 18:42

Sexton Wireless Cage Protective Screen

1 Attachment(s)
Was the protective screen on the Sexton's wireless cage a wartime feature, or was it a postwar addition? I took the attached image of the Borden Museum Sexton and I'm wondering if my arrows are indicating the hinges for this screen. If so, the screen would swing up, and I assume it would rest against the railing on the top edge of the left side of the hull, correct?

Cheers,

Chris

Grant Bowker 20-05-15 23:00

Is it possible that the grille was a museum addition to keep hands away from things they weren't meant to touch?

rob love 21-05-15 01:14

I'll make the climb up tomorrow and see if the one at work has it.

SDT16 21-05-15 15:14

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some reference pictures I took a while back for our project.
SD

Perry Kitson 21-05-15 19:16

Hello Chris,

The screen was just bolted in, no hinges. The two bolts on the top screwed into the tap pads your arrows point to, leaving a gap, and two bolts on the bottom of the screen. My machine is a late war (35th last one) product, and has this setup. There was also a canvas cover that was unrolled from the top to give some protection from the elements.

Perry

Chris Johnson 22-05-15 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Kitson (Post 209644)
Hello Chris,

The screen was just bolted in, no hinges. The two bolts on the top screwed into the tap pads your arrows point to, leaving a gap, and two bolts on the bottom of the screen. My machine is a late war (35th last one) product, and has this setup. There was also a canvas cover that was unrolled from the top to give some protection from the elements.

Perry

Thanks everyone for your comments and help.

It's interesting to hear that those aren't hinges Perry. With no way to quickly and easily move the screen out of the way, it would make operating the wireless set difficult, if not virtually impossible. That being said, they exist on Sextons that aren't museum pieces so one has to think that they were added by users to protect the equipment. Could that mean it would be more likely that they were a postwar addition? That's my impression.

Cheers,

Chris

Perry Kitson 22-05-15 17:32

Hi Chris,

The operator's manual (Dec. 1944) shows the screen fitted to the wireless compartment. I would suggest that the screen was definitely a production item.

Perry

Chris Johnson 22-05-15 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Kitson (Post 209683)
Hi Chris,

The operator's manual (Dec. 1944) shows the screen fitted to the wireless compartment. I would suggest that the screen was definitely a production item.

Perry

Excellent! Thanks for that information Perry. It nails it down as a wartime production item.

Cheers,

Chris

David Dunlop 22-05-15 22:38

Not at all familiar with the details of the Sexton, but that does seem a very odd set up to put a wireless set behind. In the photos posted so far, however, there appears to be a rather heavy duty switch box and voltmeter mounted near the top, and facing outwards.

Is this compartment perhaps meant for a PSU location for wireless equipment, like a chore horse etc.? Or a wireless power distribution centre?

Can that switch be operated with the screen guard in place?

David

tankbarrell 22-05-15 22:43

The aux gen, a Homelite lives in the Rh rear box. The switch and gauge in the tin box is a battery balancing switch to allow wireless use from either battery.

Perry Kitson 23-05-15 03:30

Adrian is correct. The wireless set ran on 12 volts, the battery balancing switch allowed the user to draw from either 12 volt battery, on a 24 volt system
The openings on the cage are large enough for the average hand to fit through.

Chris Suslowicz 23-05-15 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Kitson (Post 209706)
Adrian is correct. The wireless set ran on 12 volts, the battery balancing switch allowed the user to draw from either 12 volt battery, on a 24 volt system
The openings on the cage are large enough for the average hand to fit through.

The cage looks to be no worse than the standard WS19 "brush guard", but looking at the kit list in the EMER (FZ256/3) is causing me some confusion: there are far too many 6-pt connectors, given that there's only a single 6-pt plug (on the supply unit for DC input). It may be that they were options for 24V installations and the driver intercom, though.

The radio goes on the bottom of the cage, fitted to Carrier No.2, the supply unit is mounted somewhere else (!) I believe, and there will be holes in the "box" for the A and B set aerial feeders.

Chris.

Jesse Browning 10-03-16 04:41

Here is my winter project.

Jesse Browning 10-03-16 13:58

Working WS19

http://rs157.pbsrc.com/albums/t62/ht...h=480&fit=clip

Half-Track Guy 10-03-16 22:14

Thats Nice!!!

Perry Kitson 24-04-16 00:01

Jesse,

Does the A/B set box sit centered on the #22 carrier, with about 2" of channel on either end of the angle? I am just trying to clarify if the set is centered or offset to the left on the carrier.

Does anyone have a good photo of the #22 carrier?

Perry

David Dunlop 24-04-16 00:20

1 Attachment(s)
Perry.

The Carriers No. 22 are actually an asymmetrical piece, which from the factory had the front face of them clearly identified, as per the attached photo of an NOS Basic Carriers No. 22 in my possession.

On the left side, the two main rails extend exactly 2.5 inches beyond the angle. On the right only 2.0 inches. My guess is that this was a critical clearance for many installations using this item.

Two versions of the Carriers No. 22 exist. The Basic like this one, and a second version (under a different 'PC Number') that could be ordered complete with the appropriate canvas hold down straps, cushions and Mounting Bridges. Cannot recall that PC Number at the moment.

Hope this helps.

David

Chris Suslowicz 24-04-16 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 223615)

Two versions of the Carriers No. 22 exist. The Basic like this one, and a second version (under a different 'PC Number') that could be ordered complete with the appropriate canvas hold down straps, cushions and Mounting Bridges. Cannot recall that PC Number at the moment.

It will be only one version, but every single component will have its own part number so that spares can be ordered as necessary, I think. (It's also possible that a "partial carrier" is included in some installation kits, e.g. for Universal Carrier, where you get a replacement Carrier No.2 and clamping strap No.3, but have to salvage the cushions, steel angle pieces and their screws, and the long clamping strap No.1 from the Carrier No.1 contained in the "Set and Standard Kit" (and return the unused parts to Stores).

(My recollection from reading far too many manuals while scanning them.)

:)

Chris

David Dunlop 24-04-16 11:57

Hello Chris.

You really need to upgrade your reading material. Most of these books don't end well, with the poor family members being torn apart and scattered across the globe! :D

Cheers for now,

David

Chris Suslowicz 24-04-16 12:43

Right now I'd settle for a couple of my family members being torn apart and scattered across the globe. :p

(Actually, just one inDUHvidual would do.)

The above is entirely in jest BTW.

Chris.
(Resumes packing his life into boxes.) :(

Perry Kitson 24-04-16 14:32

David/Chris,

Thanks gentlemen. Would anyone have a No. 22 carrier that they will part with? I am currently installing the 19 set in the Sexton.

Perry

Jesse Browning 24-04-16 16:15

I modified a different carrier to make the one I needed. It has to be just right as the radio compartment gets real tight. I was ready to fabricate one, but ended up finding one locally. Jesse.

David Dunlop 25-04-16 15:00

Carriers, Sets, No. 22

Just found the other PC Number I was thinking of for these things.

Carriers, Sets, No. 22 PC75465C

Not quite sure what sets it apart from the other one.

David