MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Radiator Overflow Tank (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5991)

Alan Nicholas 07-04-06 05:13

Radiator Overflow Tank

1 Attachment(s)
G'day fella's
I am presently in the proccess of doing up a C15A Cab 13 1942 ish era. Does anyone know where to obtain a external radiator overflow tank or has plans so that a replica could be constructed?

Also The cab has holes on both sides, at about head height when sitting in the seat. i am attempting to attach a photo to clearer discribe what i am talking about.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be ment to go there?
Cheers
Alan

oztankboy 07-04-06 09:44

2 Attachment(s)
hi there!

Well here are 2 shots showing brackets on both sides of the cab. Can't be 100% sure but appear to be antenna mounts.

Phil... :salute:

07-04-06 11:58

Holes?

Hi Alan, my C15A has the same holes, but have bolts in them filling the holes. They look to be original bolts to me. Never really thought what they were for. On the inside of the cab has yours got an extra layer of steel ie. a strengthening piece were these holes are? this probably supports the idea of something substantial having been bolted there.
Robert.

Neil Ashley 07-04-06 13:08

Alan

I believe Convoy Magazine published plans on how to make a Chevy condensor tank last year?

I asked for the same thing for my C15TA last year on this forum.
If I have the right magazine, can anyone scan these plans in.

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-04-06 13:25

Convoy Magazine Plans....

Quote:

Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Alan

I believe Convoy Magazine published plans on how to make a Chevy condensor tank last year?

I asked for the same thing for my C15TA last year on this forum.
If I have the right magazine, can anyone scan these plans in.

Neil....
Perhaps a better option would be to comtact Marc Montgomery at Convoy Magazine ...
We that subscribe to the magazine and pay for advertising would prefer to see another Convoy subscriber so that they could get the full benifits of the magazine and support to keep the magazine going...
Here is the link.
http://www.dana-nield.com/d32/convoy...0/Default.aspx

Neil Ashley 07-04-06 13:36

Alex

I agree with your comments but I already buy 30 plus magazines a year and am in 6 clubs.

We are only talking about one page here and its good advertising for the magazine.

Bob Carriere 08-04-06 03:39

Repro cans.....

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff and Dan of CC fame have made one with a one gallon paint can....... from 5 feet away you caould hardly tell the difference...

Dan..... wake up Jeff....... tell how you did yours....

Bob Carriere 08-04-06 03:40

Compare to Jon's

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure how original this one is on Jon's C15a.....

Jon....any comments?

oztankboy 08-04-06 03:48

Hi there!

Well i have a mate here in Brisbane who is planning to repro them. He has aquired the rolling and awageing machine to do it. But dont ask me when or how much they would be...

I will keep the forum posted... and i'll tell him of the interest in them and it may motivate him to pull his finger out! :yappy:

Phil... :salute:

Alan Nicholas 10-04-06 08:14

Re Radiator Overflow tank

Thanks gents,
Phil & Rob, Thanks for the info. The holes are re-enforced be it rough though, I thought it was an "after market" extra.
Thanks for the advice regarding possible use of the paint cans, unfortunately I am a bit anal retentive regarding using no genuine parts, but I see what you mean they look pretty close to the real thing.
I will see about becoming a member of Convoy magazine or their web site. I am like you Neil not really into mass subscriptions.
Phil, are you going to be in Brisbane on the weekend? I am coming down to Brisbane on the weekend arriving Friday morning leaving Sunday arvo.
Thanks again fella's much-ly appreciated
regards
Alan

oztankboy 10-04-06 08:42

Sent you a PM...

Phil...

Bruce Parker (RIP) 10-04-06 14:02

O/F Tanks

I have 2 NOS Chev overflow tanks (unfortunately ear marked for two restorations) but I will make a detailed drawing and post it here shortly.

Keith Webb 10-04-06 21:53

Here's a NOS one used on a restoration

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/Chevs/C...oflow_tank.jpg

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/Chevs/C...ds/43front.jpg

This C15A was restored by Malcom Long who is better known for his restorations of two Lockheed Hudson bombers. I took the pics of it when it had just been purchased by Roger Richards. Link

Here's a shot of the second Hudson :

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/Aircraft/Hudson/Huds_1.jpg

Keith Webb 10-04-06 21:57

Years of neglect

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/dayles/oflow_2.jpg

Sometimes you'll spot a promising looking one which turns out on closer inspection to be infested by tinworm.

Hanno Spoelstra 10-04-06 23:06

Re: Here's a NOS one used on a restoration

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb
This C15A was restored by Malcom Long who is better known for his restorations of two Lockheed Hudson bombers. I took the pics of it when it had just been purchased by Roger Richards. Richards.
Link: "April 2005 update: Roger has offered this truck for sale due to needing to reduce his collection."

Keith, is this C15A still for sale?

H.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 11-04-06 04:06

Drawing

1 Attachment(s)

Neil Ashley 12-04-06 15:33

Bruce

You will have to excuse my ignorance, but why are there two pipes coming out the bottom? Is one a vent to atmosphere.

Also does the dome on top serve any purpose?

Neil

Jordan Baker 12-04-06 17:28

If you only had one pipe in the bottom the steam over flow would never go into the tank. That second pipe in the center is a vent. Im just guessing at this point but would the dome in the top allow the vent tube to go slightly higher then the "top" of the can itself.

Alan Nicholas 13-06-06 04:00

Re Radiator Overflow tank

Thanks gents for all your replies to my question and to Bruce Parker fot your detailed sketch of the overflow tank. I have given it to my brother inlaw who is a sheet metal worker to see if he can make it. Hopefully he will have success.
Regards
Alan Nicholas

Ponysoldier 17-06-06 12:23

Ah bear with me

Ok Im a yank I know, but bear with my question.
This is a 5 ton general cargo truck? Right?
Patrick

Alex Blair (RIP) 17-06-06 13:45

Re: Ah bear with me

Quote:

Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Ok Im a yank I know, but bear with my question.
This is a 5 ton general cargo truck? Right?
Patrick

Hi Pat.
If we are talking of the C15 A this would be there is always room for confusion...
GM and Ford originally were to manufacture trucks for the Brits,and as early as '37-'38 they started working out a design that the Brits could live with (Right hand drive,etc.) and a design as short as possible to facilitate being knocked down and shipped in crates over seas from Canada..
They colaborated on the design so that many of the parts and major assemblys were interchangeable...
One of the Brit influances they incorporated was how they used the "Hundred weight system"to rate their trucks....

So the US equivelant to this would be ..
C 8........800 weight ..............1/2 ton
C-15......1500 weight...............3/4 ton
C-60......60 hundred weight......3 ton....

Ford and Gm uses this system today,even in the latest trucks..
Silverado 1500...2500..
Ford...F 150...F250....
Sound familiar now...??
That is where that came from...
Strange people those Brits...

Tony Smith 17-06-06 15:28

....Where 1 Hundredweight =112lbs
20 Hundredweight=2240lbs=1 Ton.

Hundredweight is abbreviated to Cwt. :teach:

Ponysoldier 18-06-06 02:41

Ok

Hey thanks now I understand.What threw me was
the 5 ton weight symbol on the front of the truck..
The total weight including cargo must be 5 ton
Or the symbol is wrong,oh shoot I dont know.
Seems to me a # 10 can with some fittings brazed
on would do the the same thing,or is it heavier than
that??
Patrick