MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Black canadian uniform (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33158)

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 21-01-22 22:05

Black canadian uniform

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Anyone know what is this ww2 canadian black unifom i put a normal greend trouser to see the difference :confused
Attachment 127096

Bruce Parker (RIP) 21-01-22 23:20

Two often quoted theories. One is for POW's held in Canada, the other is post war died for factory workers. Are the inside cotton pockets still there? Are they died black too?

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 00:50

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 284679)
Two often quoted theories. One is for POW's held in Canada, the other is post war died for factory workers. Are the inside cotton pockets still there? Are they died black too?

Hi,
i saw a pic of the armour having black uniform :coffee

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 00:57

1 Attachment(s)
here a pic with black unifom and not coverhall i think :doh:

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 01:20

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
here is some old stiching patch on the shoulder :no4:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 22-01-22 01:38

Definitely there were black armoured corps coveralls, and your pic in front of that beast of an armoured car sure looks like black battledress for the same reason. I can't confirm, maybe somebody else can.

The pics of your battledress sure looks as if the internal cotton pockets were died instead of the whole tunic made from black wool. I also see the CWA stamp on the collar. This is not the C/|\ acceptance stamp. It was basically a sold surplus stamp which might suggest a post war die job for whatever reason. Or a WW2 armoured corps/POW one sold surplus? I guess that might depend on if you can determine if the stamp was pre or post die job.

Contact Ed Storey, he's an expert on this sort of thing.

One last comment. The stitching does indicate some shoulder title was there. But....if this is a period correct battledress for armoured corps use there is a problem. The black would have been a very early war thing well before they used sewn on shoulder titles. Later in the war the black battledress (if such a thing existed) would have been abandoned and titles sewn on khaki battledress. So basically, a black battledress and sewn on titles are historically mismatched.

Jordan Baker 22-01-22 01:43

The picture of the armoured car is the one the Hamilton Civil Guard had commissioned by Hamilton Bridge in 1940. The uniforms they are wearing, although close, we’re not battledress but based off of battledress and were a very dark blue.

I suspect the example you have was not manufactured that way but dyed after the fact for the possible reasons as stated by others.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 01:46

1 Attachment(s)
hi,
here is you zoom they don't have coverhall :kangaroo

Bruce Parker (RIP) 22-01-22 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) (Post 284686)
hi,
here is you zoom they don't have coverhall :kangaroo

OK Jordan, what do you make of this photo? The uniforms on the guys in the back do look black, but is it shadow? Has this pic been 'enhanced'? It dates from the UK in 1942/43 at which point, if black battledress for the armoured corps was a thing initially, would have been dispensed with by then. Maybe those boys just need some corporal to order them to the unit laundry?

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Parker (Post 284687)
OK Jordan, what do you make of this photo? The uniforms on the guys in the back do look black, but is it shadow? Has this pic been 'enhanced'? It dates from the UK in 1942/43 at which point, if black battledress for the armoured corps was a thing initially, would have been dispensed with by then. Maybe those boys just need some corporal to order them to the unit laundry?

Hi,
Here the link :coffee

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Royal_Ca...Armoured_Corps

Bruce Parker (RIP) 22-01-22 02:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) (Post 284688)

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying I've seen very little evidence of it. I'd love to be proven wrong and discover that black battledress was in fact used in the armoured corps.

edstorey 22-01-22 02:36

Blackened BD Blouse

That is an interesting blackened BD blouse and unfortunately we will never know for sure why it was dyed, although I suspect it was done after the war. For a short time the British manufactured, early in the war, blackened BD for armoured use which may explain the uniforms worn on the Ram tank; although coveralls, both in black and KD were popular for wear when mucking about AFVs.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 02:44

2 Attachment(s)
hi,
we found on the sleeves we found a crown on the left size and on the oder size i dont know :doh:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 22-01-22 03:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) (Post 284692)
hi,
we found on the sleeves we found a crown on the left size and on the oder size i dont know :doh:

Just wondering, if someone took a regular khaki battledress, removed the patches and died it to make some sort of sports jacket...it would explain things.

That's my best guess net seeing the actual item.

Jordan Baker 22-01-22 05:05

There is a few more pictures in the link below.

Some are clearly black coveralls and a couple could be black battledress. Unfortunately the pictures aren’t just quite clear enough.

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/pos...rvice-ram-tank

Regardless it’s and interesting battledress blouse.

David Dunlop 22-01-22 06:04

Just a thought.

If that blouse was an early issue from a contracted order, it would probably have been made with black wool cloth which would have been pretty much colour fast.

If it was a postwar die job, the colour would have a tendency to bleed. Can it be tested in an inconspicuous spot with a little warm soapy water on a white cloth and see if the colour transfers to the cloth?

David

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 284697)
Just a thought.

If that blouse was an early issue from a contracted order, it would probably have been made with black wool cloth which would have been pretty much colour fast.

If it was a postwar die job, the colour would have a tendency to bleed. Can it be tested in an inconspicuous spot with a little warm soapy water on a white cloth and see if the colour transfers to the cloth?

David

Hi,
the stiching is all black wire and i did try colour dont transfers :teach:

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 284696)
There is a few more pictures in the link below.

Some are clearly black coveralls and a couple could be black battledress. Unfortunately the pictures aren’t just quite clear enough.

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/pos...rvice-ram-tank

Regardless it’s and interesting battledress blouse.

Hi
On the tank Z18 pic you see i think a black battledress blouse :eek:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 22-01-22 14:42

If there is such a thing as a black armoured corps battledress (which I haven't seen evidence of in a great many years of following this sort of thing, but anything's possible) I would think it would be purpose made such that it would have tan cotton pockets, cuffs, collar, etc. like a regular battledress and be marked and stamped to reflect what it is. Perhaps "Blouses, Battledress, Armoured Crewman's"

On the other hands, what's not to say some unit unofficially did up a batch of black battledress? Or some returning veteran repurposed his issued battledress?

David Dunlop 22-01-22 16:22

Was black wool Battle Dress ever issued/considered for RCN or RN personnel for certain circumstances?

David

edstorey 22-01-22 17:53

Dark Blue BD

Yes, the RN had a dark blue BD working uniform during the war, but not the RCN until after the SWW.

NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) 22-01-22 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstorey (Post 284711)
Yes, the RN had a dark blue BD working uniform during the war, but not the RCN until after the SWW.

hi,
i found that on ebay :teach:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373715197563

edstorey 22-01-22 20:47

Rcn bd

Yes, you have found a SWW British Army BD blouse which has been dyed blue and had RCN badges applied.