MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WS-19 battery boxes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18372)

universalgrl 28-04-12 01:54

WS-19 battery boxes

5 Attachment(s)
Picture of 6 volt battery boxes for military radios dated 1952. Approved by the pussy cat.
And the 19 sets I have collected over the past 3 years, set 1 base station, set 2 MK I carrier, set 3 MK II carrier.

Lynn Eades 28-04-12 02:40

Wow!! What a collection! :note:
Do you do girly stuff as well Roberta?

universalgrl 28-04-12 03:12

Bling and shoes

1 Attachment(s)
A girl can never have enough bling and shoes

jeff davis 28-04-12 03:40

shoes

Good to see the Combat Boots in the Background

Phil Waterman 28-04-12 04:40

New MLU Unit of Measure the Cat

Hi ALL

Well it is official we now have an MLU standard system of measurement, THE CAT, small items will hence forth be in units of paw, longer items will be in units of tail. Volume will be one very large cat or several small cats.

You can see where this is going, I'm sure Bob can give us several other cat related units of measure.

How many purrs per minute, sound units in levels of yowls.

Of course this will require a new system of numbers which is based on the number of whiskers of the common cat instead of a base 10 system.

Cheers Phil

Mike Kelly 28-04-12 10:36

battery box

I know somebody who makes repro WW2 radio battery boxes . Yes, I know ,
" go out more and get a life " might be a appropriate line of advice .

But, Me too have a few old wooden battery boxes .

The cat seems to have found a nice ohm

Lynn Eades 28-04-12 14:04

Watt next Mike :giveup

barneyhines 07-09-12 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by universalgrl (Post 164081)
Picture of 6 volt battery boxes for military radios dated 1952. Approved by the pussy cat.
And the 19 sets I have collected over the past 3 years, set 1 base station, set 2 MK I carrier, set 3 MK II carrier.

Hi Roberta,fantastic No19 set collection,(i think you're battery box has a new owner :coffee!!!).I am looking for a power supply, for my No 19 set,have you a spare to sell?regards barney

Peter Hommes 10-01-13 22:06

Cats

I love cats much more than dogs always have two cats somewhere near me in the house. They are to good to be a measurement device

Peter
http://www.milmarket.org

Jim Burrill 18-02-13 02:41

Battery boxes?

Did the Mk1 carriers use battery boxes in the rear Wireless battery box? I didn't think they did, but now I wonder....

Who was makign repros of them?

CHeers,

Johnny Canuck 15-11-13 01:34

I'm a cabinet maker, $300 each.

Johnny Canuck 17-11-13 06:31

That's what I figured, how many do you want if they are free?

Tim Bell 20-11-13 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck (Post 188132)
I'm a cabinet maker, $300 each.

Does that include all the metal bracing, hinges and power socket?

Tim

Ron Pier 21-11-13 08:45

2 Attachment(s)
Fortunately I have two originals but I wouldn't mind finding two more. But before I had any, a very good friend and cabinet maker had made four exact replicas for himself. I asked him if he would make me some, and even at the very best 'mates rates' he said he would need £200 each. There is just so much work in these. My WS11 station set up should have four 6V boxes. At the moment I have two 6V and one 12V. I'm happy to swap 12V boxes for 6V. Ron

Johnny Canuck 21-11-13 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 188305)
Does that include all the metal bracing, hinges and power socket?

Tim

I don't think the wooden boxes have a power outlet or plug, the ones I have, have notches for wires to pass through.
Finding the hardware is the issue.
Templates for the lettering and the wax finish are not too big a hurdle.

Re:$50ea perhaps Ikea carries them.

Geoff

Ron Pier 21-11-13 22:03

2 Attachment(s)
Mine have sockets. Here is one of the drawings I have and an original picture. Far more to these than you would think.

Ron

Ron Pier 22-11-13 08:29

1 Attachment(s)
I have no agenda with this......it's simply a discussion. $200CND is about £120. The hardware produced by a professional would probably double that figure. That's why these things are best done in batches. The hardware includes:- The sliding lifting handles, hinges, metal strip round edges to protect the mortice joints, socket and plate and lid catch.
These pictures and full set of drawings were supplied to me years ago by another forum member and I'm happy to share them with others. Ron

Neil Ashley 22-11-13 09:18

The plugs will be Niphan products who still manufacture so may still be available.

In my war-time Canadian Chorehorse Manual I note that a cable with a plug on the end is supplied presumably for these boxes.

The post war metal type introduced during the 1950's are quite common in the UK but not the wooden boxes.