MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Radio set No 11 power supply leads. (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22369)

kevin powles 25-07-14 10:49

Radio set No 11 power supply leads.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, does anyone have a set of power supplies connecting leads or just the odd one please, 3 pin and 10 pin type.

Cheers Kevin.

Mike Kelly 26-07-14 02:23

plugs

Hi kevin

we meet again :smoker:

kevin powles 02-08-14 15:28

Plugs.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Here is what I need, A kind gentleman has loaned me these to copy, which I will do if I can't get two more of each originals.

Regards Kevin.

Mike Kelly 03-08-14 02:48

Hmmmmmmmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin powles (Post 198380)
Hi, Here is what I need, A kind gentleman has loaned me these to copy, which I will do if I can't get two more of each originals.

Regards Kevin.

I'm no gentleman :nono:

cletrac (RIP) 03-08-14 02:59

That looks like a job for a 3D printer.

Mike Kelly 03-08-14 10:10

Cnc

Quote:

Originally Posted by cletrac (Post 198397)
That looks like a job for a 3D printer.

Maybe a CNC milling machine would be an option . Or go down the road of making a mould . The original was made from bakelite ?

kevin powles 11-08-14 14:03

No 11 set radio plugs.

I am having three sets of radio plugs cast in black resin by a pro model maker, each set consists of 4 three pin (or four pin can't remember which) plugs and 2 of the ten pin plugs. When I get them back I will post some pictures. Idea is to replicate them in every detail and be able to get them working if required.

So if anyone wants a set let me know.

Kevin.

Ron Pier 11-08-14 20:48

Kev I think all those 11 set owners will have to form an orderly queue. :)

Ron

kevin powles 11-08-14 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 198691)
Kev I think all those 11 set owners will have to form an orderly queue. :)

Ron

Ron, I think the militaria market is very flat at the moment, I have posted several other prize gems recently and had zero takers, It might go the same way on these :-(.

Ron Pier 12-08-14 18:40

Kev I applaud your efforts at supplying a niche market. I do it all the time in the motorcycle world. If I need a part made I usually get extras, and often get left with them.
How many 11 set owners out there I wonder? And how many missing those plugs?
Sometimes you have to have a small batch made to create some interest from the engineer and get the price lower than a one off.

Cheers Ron :cheers:

cletrac (RIP) 12-08-14 19:40

I still think a 3D printer would be the way to go. Take all the original metal bits out then set it in the printer and it'll spit out as many as you tell it without any actual labour. It'll put in any stampings or marks or whatever too.

Ron Pier 13-08-14 07:31

David, I've read about such things in Marvel comic books!! It's fiction! It's stuff of the future! Next you'll be saying "Men will land on the Moon"!! :)

Ron the dinosaur.

Mrs Vampire 13-08-14 08:26

1 Attachment(s)
They look eminently castable using silicone molding and resin.

I am in need of a power plug for my own. I don't have an original to copy from so if you are making them I would be interested in one of those .

kevin powles 13-08-14 09:16

Plugs

Hi, These plugs have the Brass inserts pressed into the Bakelite, disturbing them would not be a good idea, wouldn't want to break the one on loan. What's available is two complete sets at the moment.

Kevin.

Mrs Vampire 14-08-14 01:50

have you contacted the No 19 group???

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/19setmember.html

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/

Both have extensive membership and No 11 owner members.

kevin powles 14-08-14 19:48

11set plugs.

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a trial one cast, when painted gloss black, brass inserts placed in and lid holes tapped these will be identical to the originals.

Kevin.

Mrs Vampire 15-08-14 01:22

they look very good .

Mike Kelly 15-08-14 06:50

top job

Those repros look very good .... top marks to whoever did it :thup2:

kevin powles 15-08-14 09:16

Will put some more pics up as the work progress, Gina, you said you needed a single one, was it the three pin type?, if so I can get one made on its own.

Kevin.

Mrs Vampire 15-08-14 11:19

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kevin

My need is for the two pin main power input plug .

the middle one in this picture. Plus you might have another customer here.

http://members.dcsi.net.au/clem/vk3c...1set/plugs.htm

kevin powles 15-08-14 12:22

1 Attachment(s)
Gina, I'm not making the 2 pin type as these came with my radio set, but if these ones turn out ok, I can get the guy to do them. So lets see how they turn out.

That link you posted doesent seem to work.

Kevin

kevin powles 15-08-14 13:53

10 pin type cast.

1 Attachment(s)
10 pin one trial cast.

Mrs Vampire 15-08-14 15:46

think it does now

kevin powles 16-08-14 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina Vampire (Post 198855)
think it does now

Hi Gina. Yes works now, made contact, thanks for the lead.

Regards Kevin.

Phillip 18-08-14 13:27

No.11 Set Frame.

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Kevin,

Photos of the original radio frame, its adjustable in length from just the transmitter/ receiver or add one or two PSU's depending on configuration.

The photo two canvas pads are on the lower frame rails and have some sort of petrified foam in them.

I don't have the small frame that you sometimes see bolted to the top rails that takes one of the PSU's. You can see (just) on the front rail where the condenser was attached.

Last photo is the front cover that turns into a stand or seat!

Ron Pier 18-08-14 19:50

1 Attachment(s)
Well mine was supposed to have been faithfully reproduced from an original. But it hasn't got those half round pressings in the end plates :whinge
Unless of course there are variants :confused
Otherwise if someone is making them, I wouldn't mind the correct end plates.
Ron

Ben 18-08-14 21:06

I believe British made frames don't have the pressings, Australian ones do. Other than that I believe the frames are identical.

kevin powles 18-08-14 21:08

Tray

1 Attachment(s)
Philip, Here is the tray your tray sits on, I have two originals here.

Kevin.

Ron Pier 18-08-14 21:18

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for that Ben. That makes me happy again.

Kevin I believe Philip is talking about the frame that sits on top, with a leather strap. It was part of the frame assembly even if not used. One part of the PSU was laid down in this frame, whilst the main frame was concertinaed up where a shorter installation was required. Ron

Ron Pier 18-08-14 21:31

2 Attachment(s)
You are quite right Ben. I should have looked through my archive photos.
Here is an installation in a British 8cwt truck. (flat end panels)

Also a shot of my frame from when it was manufactured. You can see the square frame on top. Also the rubber pads below the top rails and the canvas covered pads under the bottom rails. Ron