MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   C15A Instrumental Panel (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13776)

m606paz 15-11-09 17:47

C15A Instrumental Panel

Hi Fellows
I need information and pictures about late 5 instrument panel, light and ignition switch.
Thanks in advance :thup:

Luis Mariano Paz
Buenos Aires , ARGENTINA.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 16-11-09 06:30

Late?

Hi Luis - what do you mean by "late". I restore instrument panels and through searching on the forum you should find my work.

Bob

cletrac (RIP) 16-11-09 07:16

My guess would be the individual round gauges.

m606paz 16-11-09 12:17

Bob
Thanks for answering!
Look in their post, some data required.
It is right what say David, I mean the panel, composed of 5 round instruments.!!!
Thanks David !!.

cmperry4 19-11-09 08:31

Later instrument panel

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a snap I took of the later, post-'44 "American-style" CMP instrument panel (F15A) for reference in restoring my C8A panel (it was completely gutted and cut out). This is a much easier panel to refurbish as gauges and speedos were GI-standard, same as used on Jeeps and other U.S. vehicles. Repro and NOS gauges are relatively easy to find - I just got a very nice NOS temp gauge, complete with threaded probe bulb and sender line and a repro amp meter via EBay. Speedos tend to be a little rarer, and be aware of variations in markings, etc. Hope this helps.

cmperry4 19-11-09 08:38

Switches

1 Attachment(s)
And here is a shot of the switch plates as I found them on my truck, which shows you what's what and where. Note the dimmer switch mounted on the left side of the housing.

Phil Waterman 19-11-09 14:58

Red light in the stop switch isolation switch location

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmperry4 (Post 122078)
And here is a shot of the switch plates as I found them on my truck, which shows you what's what and where. Note the dimmer switch mounted on the left side of the housing.

HI Mark

Noticed that someone has installed a warning light in what would be the location for the stop switch isolation switch, do you know what it is connected too?

Turn signal, high beam indicator, hazard indicator or something else?

Just in passing I rewired the stop light isolation switch so that it provides power to the brake lights which passes through a signal flasher in parallel with the brake pressure switch. With the isolation switch in the on position it causes the rear brake lights to flash. When you step on the brakes the lights go on and do not flash. I also did install a indicator light for the high beam and one for the brake flashers.

About the gauges over the years I have been able to collect spare gauges including the temperature some of them have slightly different markings than the original CMP gauges which I suspect did not all match depending on the supplier. One comment about the temperature gauge and sender tube assembly most of these that I have found have sender tubes that are significantly shorter than the original Chevy CMP. Some of them are long enough though if you route the tube carefully.

Cheers Phil

cmperry4 20-11-09 04:54

Wiring and switches

Hi Phil - I don't recall if that light wasn't even connected, the wiring behind the panel was so messed up and cut to bits - which is why I needed a whole new harness and loom from you. I'm just hoping to get things as close to original as I can, plus turn signals.

The sender tube on the temp gauge I got is 42", which I thought ought to be long enough, but the seller had longer ones at 81" which I figured would be far too long.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 20-11-09 05:17

'Original'

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a dash panel waiting to be re-installed in my 1944 Chev HUW. To the best of my knowledge, it's as authentic as I've been able to determine after a 'few' years' of research.

Mike Timoshyk 20-11-09 07:03

work bench

Bruce....I see you cleaned up your work bench... :smoker:

cmperry4 22-11-09 03:59

Very nice looking panel and pic, and it also reminds me of where the dash jewel should go.

Lionelgee 31-01-10 01:05

F60L Gauges

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmperry4 (Post 122246)
Very nice looking panel and pic, and it also reminds me of where the dash jewel should go.

G'day MLU,

Since this thread is about gauge clusters - could someone identify the missing gauge out of the cluster from a Cab 13 F60L.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Phil Waterman 31-01-10 01:42

Temperture

1 Attachment(s)
Simple Temperature, now next questions did Fords use the same as Chev.

Here is the instrument group from my `45 HUP.

Cheers Phil

Lionelgee 31-01-10 01:45

G'day Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 125428)
Simple oil pressure, now next questions did Fords use the same 0-80 as Chev, of course the Chevs never used more that 1/4 of the gauge once they are up to temperature.

Cheers Phil

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the identification Phil. Do you have a photo of the temperature gauge that you could post? Thank you.
Kind Regards
Lionel

Phil Waterman 31-01-10 01:51

Now that is known as real time

Hi Lionel

Your response to my posting was going up at the same time that I was correcting my first incorrect post and adding a picture. Not bad for opposite side of the world.

Cheers Phil

Lionelgee 31-01-10 01:55

G'day Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 125430)
Hi Lionel

Your response to my posting was going up at the same time that I was correcting my first incorrect post and adding a picture. Not bad for opposite side of the world.

Cheers Phil

It would have taken me less time to reply to work out the difference between the title line and the message. It is 10:55 am Sunday morning here in Queensland what day time is it there in New Hampshiire USA? Thanks for the photo too. Have a good day/night?

Regards
Lionel

Phil Waterman 31-01-10 01:57

Current time 7:56 PM

Time now is 7:56 PM eastern standard time here in the States

Cheers Phil

Lionelgee 31-01-10 02:01

Temp Gauge

Quote:

Simple Temperature, now next questions did Fords use the same as Chev.

Here is the instrument group from my `45 HUP.

Cheers Phil

G'day Phil,

Did Ford temperature gauges vary much in size and style throughout the war in the years that the Cab series 13 were made and the different countries of assembly?

Kind Regards
Lionel

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 31-01-10 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 125433)
Time now is 7:56 PM eastern standard time here in the States

Cheers Phil

Saturday evening. You lot Downunder (in the eastern bit anyway) are ahead of us, by 16 hours at this time of year. :)

Tony Smith 31-01-10 06:21

Quote:

.... now next question, did Fords use the same as Chev?

Cheers Phil

We discussed this in a thread a couple of years back. I think the agreement from that was that Chevs used the same capillary gauges as Jeeps and GMC's while Ford used Stewart Warner electrical types with a little cover at the base of the needle.

Tony Smith 31-01-10 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball (Post 125435)
You lot Downunder are ahead of us, by 16 hours at this time of year.

Oh, we are in so many ways, not just time zones! :kangaroo :kangaroo :kangaroo

Tony Smith 31-01-10 06:41

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 125429)
Hello Phil,

Thanks for the identification Phil. Do you have a photo of the temperature gauge that you could post? Thank you.
Kind Regards
Lionel

Here's three variations on the face design (Pic 2 and 3 are in place in Ford CMP dashes, pic 1 is a NOS spare so could be CMP):
Note too, the Ford dash lighting is in a fatter, squat housing placed lower on the panel than the long slim housings used on Chev's ("Cigar Tube" same as Jeep/GMC)

Hanno Spoelstra 31-01-10 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 125443)
pic 1 is a NOS spare so could be CMP

Tony,

Donīt count on it. It comes from the ex-Norwegian Army stock of M7 Snowtractor parts which Sean recovered years ago. That is why it is painted white.

Hanno

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowtractor (Post 24316)
Like this NOS WWII electrical gauge? I have a handfull in cosmoline if someone is interested.
Sean

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/at...=&postid=24318

Tony Smith 31-01-10 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 125450)
Tony, Donīt count on it.
Hanno

So there are no variations in the faces or temp scale, just a straight needle or arrowhead needle? Anyone else seen any other variations?

Jordan Baker 19-07-19 00:32

The screw that is between the choke and the dash emblem. What is it for on the back side of the panel?

Bruce Parker (RIP) 19-07-19 01:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 261944)
The screw that is between the choke and the dash emblem. What is it for on the back side of the panel?

A condenser. I just need to remember what it attached to.

Lynn Eades 19-07-19 03:43

Likely connected to the ignition or charging systems.