MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wife loses a bet (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32751)

Bruce Parker (RIP) 02-09-21 01:33

Wife loses a bet

1 Attachment(s)
So....I rebuilt the face of my garage this summer to include a sliding door to make getting the Fox in and out that much easier, plus board and batten which is more in character for a 125 year old house. Wife, always a sarcastic kidder, bet I would botch the dimensions and the door would be too low for the Fox (which was inside during the entire construction).

As you can see the Fox made it out just fine and the wife isn't talking to me. Dinner at her favorite steak house paid for with my winnings should bring her around.

Jordan Baker 02-09-21 06:02

Looks great and combined with a sense of humour sounds like you got a nice dinner out of it.

Hanno Spoelstra 02-09-21 11:11

Nice of her to encourage you in such a way both of you benefit from it :)

maple_leaf_eh 02-09-21 14:51

What every century house needs, a Fox in the garage.

maple_leaf_eh 02-09-21 14:59

Garage dimensions

On a related topic, when we bought this house there was (and still isn't) a garage. The bylaws require a 1 or 2m setback from the property lines, the house, and avoiding an overhead power corridor. A new two-car garage would be plonked in the middle of the yard with a sharp bend around the corner of the house. I have resigned myself to nonpermanent shelters on a thick crushed rock pad.

A number of the neighbours have pre-existing garages, often single car width which over the past 50-60 years have deteriorated. If the owner demolishes them, they're in the situation I am with no good alternatives. But, at least one entreprising company specializes in lifting old garage structures, rebuilding the footings and knee walls, and repairing the woodwork, without changing the surveyed footprint of these old outbuildings. I like their idea!

Bruce Parker (RIP) 02-09-21 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 281650)
What every century house needs, a Fox in the garage.

We had considered a hand painted 'Fox Den' sign in the style of Ye Olde British Pub but thought that might encourage strangers in for a pint. In the end we settled for hanging petunias and a sign reading "Chev Parking Only. All Others Will Be Scrapped" (oh, and another that reads "German Sheppard Barking Only"....less direct than a beware of dog sign but it gets the point across). The carrier took offence until I made it an honurary Chev and promised it was safe.

Lars R. 02-09-21 16:13

Any scratches on door or Lynx?

Should you ever change tyres, beware!

As a teenager I was working part time in a local UNIMOG workshop.
It was in a converted old village black smith's shop, small door. We got a customer who needed new tyres. Vehicle driven in, tyres changed...lunchbreak.
Customer comes to pick up his Truck. Ready? Yea. He drove out and crushed his cab!:ergh: