MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mystery bag help (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28812)

kevin powles 14-04-18 13:24

Mystery bag help

3 Attachment(s)
Gents, is this some kind of radio bag?, no markings or dates on it

cmp truck 15-04-18 23:50

radio bag

Kevin,
I have one of these in jungle green dated 1963. It has 37 Pattern fittings (brass) and the "L" strap attachments are like 37 Pattern.
However, I do not know of any radio that fits in a bag like this.
I saw a 31 set on Epay that had a bag such as this, and I tried putting my 31 set into my bag and it doesn't really work when you try to put all the CES into the bag.
This bag does not fit the British idea of a radio bag or frame which allows the radio operator to have the controls readily available. I am not referring to vehicular radios or small sets like the PRC-349, rather sets carried by a radio operator. Also, the Brits had a habit of liking their manpacks to be self standing (vertical) when in use.
The loop on the end of the webbing strap is slightly odd.
I have no idea what it is, however, it could be "radio equipment" related or designed for a totally other purpose.
Ian
VA6SSV

kevin powles 16-04-18 08:48

Hi, thanks for the reply, interesting that yours is 63 dated as I thought they had moved away from 37 pattern by then ?, does yours have any other markings ??, if not radio maybe mine detector perhaps ?

Have you a pic of yours ?

Thanks

cmp truck 16-04-18 22:20

bag id

Kevin,
The "pattern" of manufacture doesn't really matter with equipment that was manufactured for non infantry use.
So, I have a case, aerial dated 1952 made of 44 Pattern hardware and similar webbing, as well as another case, aerial made of the same webbing as your bag but with leather straps used for attaching to the GS frame.
I tried to send the photos but there seems to be a security concern.
As soon as I resolve this, I will send the photos.
Ian

rob love 16-04-18 22:24

Your photos are too large.....put them on a photo editor and make them smaller.

cmp truck 16-04-18 23:51

bag id

Hi again,
Thanks for the tip.
Here are the photos.
The two extra photos illustrate the difference in philosophy with US and Canadian and British radio use. The flat carrier is the CW-503 used with the PRC-25 and 77. The frame you can see on the right of the photo is an A41.
While learning to reduce the photo size, I ended up naming all the jpeg the same(this photo), so the A41 photo was erased.
The last set is the British A13.
The use of a frame to permit vertical use goes from the WS31 thru to the Clansman PRC-351.
This is the main reason I don't think this is a radio bag.

kevin powles 16-04-18 23:57

Hi, yes same bag, somewhere someone knows what it’s for I guess, yours looks unissued like mine so I guess they didn’t know either lol, thanks for your pics.

Tim Bell 17-04-18 19:23

Think this bag was for Civil Defence Corp rescue kit.

Cant remember where I got that info from though - will need to "phone a friend" to be sure now.

Tim