MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   MVPA convention in Cleveland (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27373)

japes 04-05-17 22:54

MVPA convention in Cleveland

I'm not sure how many fellow Canucks plan on going to Cleveland this year for the MVPA convention. It's about 3.5 hours from Windsor for those of us at this end of the province or about 4 hours from Fort Erie for those of you at that end. I'm proposing getting any MLUers together for lunch or dinner one of the days (Sat?). I'll coordinate if there is enough interest, just let me know.

J.P. Brescacin

Mike Cecil 06-05-17 06:33

I'm attending.

Mike

super dave 08-05-17 18:55

I will be there.

chris vickery 08-05-17 22:34

Will try dependent on work schedule...
Already have Findlay OH and Gilbert PA for this year!

Les Fisher 13-05-17 13:59

I will be attending with at least three others

chris vickery 13-05-17 14:44

Only a few days until Findlay. Stoked, hoping I am fortunate enough to secure a ride on Huey 369

Bruce Parker (RIP) 13-05-17 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 237743)
hoping I am fortunate enough to secure a ride on Huey 369

Oh yes, you really want to do that!!! I did in Windsor and the pilots are...well... VERY good at throwing that Huey around the sky to the delight of its passengers. Looking straight down out the open door as they're doing a tight turn 500 feet in the air with nothing more than a 2" nylon seat belt holding you in...exhilarating!! Or when they flew at ground level just clearing tree tops to startle a young woman sunbathing on her pool deck. Never seen such big, round eyes.

chris vickery 14-05-17 01:17

Well Bruce hopefully it works out. From what I hear they may have 2 hueys there this year, even better.
I might have to pull out my VN re-enactment impression gear for this one...
At least for a photo op.

chris vickery 23-05-17 02:14

Well my ride on the Huey was memorable to say the least!
As Bruce alluded to, thinking you are going straight out the door at 500ft while banking at least 45deg is breath taking.
I spent a lot of time talking with many former combat chopper pilots, door gunners and crew chief. Most interesting was the 1st Air Cav Scout pilot, who incidentally is a Canadian Vietnam veteran.
He even pulled out his non regulation helmet and visor so I could get a photo op.
In VN he had a Canadian flag painted on his visor much to the dismay of his CO which almost landed him in jail a few times. As he explained to me, what was the worst they could do, send him to Vietnam?
19 years old and full of himself, volunteered as a scout pilot one of the most dangerous jobs a chopper pilot could have.
He said he would do it all over again.

Les Fisher 23-05-17 04:47

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go Chris. Oh and congrats for winning the 50 50 draw.

chris vickery 23-05-17 04:54

Thanks Les! That's him alright. Winning the 50/50 was a nice touch for sure.

japes 07-06-17 13:10

Change of plans

It looks like there is going to be a change of plans on my part so I won't be able to coordinate anything for the group. I hope you all still get together. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

J.P.

Les Fisher 08-06-17 19:20

As the Pres. of the OMVA I just wanted to let all MLU users know that the OMVA has a table in Cleveland at the convention. You are invited to drop by or if you have purchased an item you wish to leave under the table while you continue to walk around or shop please feel free to so.

Jordan Baker 13-06-17 16:19

I'm looking at day tripping it to the show either the Friday June 23 or Saturday June 24. Anyone interested in carpooling. Can meet up in Ft Erie.

John Sek 14-06-17 04:23

Hi Jordan,

I'm willing to car pool on the Saturday though.

John

Dano McLaren 19-06-17 07:07

MVPA Cleveland

You have to love spell check...see you there. Wednesday until Friday

Jordan Baker 19-06-17 19:42

Any plans for a meet up on the Saturday?

IM looking forward to attending as I have never been to one of these shows before.

chris vickery 20-06-17 02:21

Jordan, it will open your eyes for sure. Have a good time.

super dave 20-06-17 05:54

I hope to meet a few of you there so I can put a face to a name, Should arrive tomorrow night :)

Barry Churcher 20-06-17 22:06

Don't forget that Les has extended an invitation for all MLU members to make use of the OMVA table at the convention. Perhaps we could use it as a meeting place. Les is on his way to the show now so when we know our table spot we will post it here.
Cheers,
Barry

Jordan Baker 25-06-17 06:40

Thank you to the OMVA chaps for having stable. It provided a great spot to meet up with some fellow Canadians and also a handy spot to drop off some purchases that were made.

Was a great show and I'll post up some photos tomorrow. All in all I had a blast seeing one of the big US shows. Other then some fun crossing into the states the day trip was uneventful.

chris vickery 25-06-17 16:15

I am a huge fan of US based shows now. Have been in the MV hobby for 25 years, always heard and knew about them but never really went down to any. Started going about 4 years ago now and love it. There are several that are within a days driving from S Ontario. Always get treated like family when we get there.

rob love 26-06-17 04:41

Please no photos, or anecdotes of how good the deals were. My co-driver backed out and I wasn't ready to make the 20 hour drive alone, so I sat at home here watching it rain instead of going to the convention. :bang:

derk derin 26-06-17 18:38

Sorry Rob!

Yes I admit I wanted to go and started getting worked up but I started to think of building my shop this summer and got cheap and backed out! Once the shop is up then We will make the next close show! I still need a reproduction tire chain bag yet for my jeep tool kit list!
Regards,Derk

Jordan Baker 26-06-17 18:48

5 Attachment(s)
As promised here are a bunch of the pictures I took.

Jordan Baker 26-06-17 18:49

5 Attachment(s)
Batch number 2

This big truck was pretty cool to look at. Was a Vietnam era USMC workshop truck. Had a lathe, press, welder, torches, grinder and a bunch of other tools.

Jordan Baker 26-06-17 18:50

5 Attachment(s)
Batch #3

There was even an original barn find Higgens Boat brought to the show.

Jordan Baker 26-06-17 18:51

5 Attachment(s)
Batch number 4.

Jordan Baker 26-06-17 18:51

2 Attachment(s)
Last bunch of photos

Mike Cecil 06-07-17 17:17

News Report

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/07/...tary-past.html

The show made the news.

Mike :salute: