MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: Mk1* Universal Carrier electrical conduit (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21956)

Doug Lavoie 18-04-14 19:54

Mk1* Universal Carrier electrical conduit

Folks,
I am trying to find the last of the large pieces missing from my 1942 Mk1* Universal carrier project, the electrical conduit.
If possible, I would like to find a complete original set of electrical conduit, or parts of, to make up a complete set.
Any help with this would be much appreciated. This would be a in Canada request, due only to the major cost of shipping these days. Please let me know what you have, condition of pieces. Pictures would be a great asset.
Thank you,
Doug

Doug Lavoie 22-04-14 15:02

To date, very quiet to this request to date. Maybe the spring weather will help get people moving about, and assess what they want to keep or part with (I hope).

rob love 22-04-14 18:18

Doug
If you can find scraps from old carriers, you will need to salvage the conduit elbows, bulkhead fittings, and end fittings. The conduit itself can be made from regular conduit of the appropriate size, but you will have to thread it to 3/4" NF if I recall, which will match the BSP they originally used on the carriers. It has been a while since I made any, so don't take my ref to the threads as gospel, but I know there was a match between one of our standard threads and their thread. Of course, your new conduit will likely be galvanized, so you will have to take the appropriate steps for painting.

Doug Lavoie 22-04-14 23:19

Rob,
Thanks for your reply, and heads up on the galvanized pipe.. I have managed to find 2 x1/2" elbows so far. It`s a start. Still a ways to go though. Every bit helps. The ones I have found, required a good bit of salvage/clean up. That`s ok though, now able to work with them. I think I can wangle the large conduit plate that is attached to the division wall.
Still on the hunt for bits and pieces.
Doug

Lynn Eades 23-04-14 00:31

Doug, Rob, I believe the threads are "conduit" thread. and yes 3/4 UNF is the same as the small size. If I recall they are all 16tpi from that size up.

rob love 23-04-14 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 194512)
Doug, Rob, I believe the threads are "conduit" thread. and yes 3/4 UNF is the same as the small size. If I recall they are all 16tpi from that size up.

Thanks for the correction Lynn, it's been a few years since I had to do a set.

Doug: I'll be doing the conduit in my carrier in the next month or two. If I have extra (and there should be a bit) I'll let you know.

Doug Lavoie 23-04-14 05:54

Rob, Lynn,
Thanks for the info. on the conduit. I will check the thread or threads concerning "conduit".
Rob, That would be great if you can spare any pieces. What ever much it is, it`s that much less to find.
Take care,
Doug