MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shelter General purpose 12 Foot Canadian (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30729)

Robert Bergeron 12-12-19 03:15

Shelter General purpose 12 Foot Canadian

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, just bought this 12 foot general purpose shelter used by the Air Force with a CFR starting with an 84 , year of manufacture . I want to restore it and make it out into a realistic TAC Aviation command post . I will use it later as a range control office.I wonder if i should post here or on the resto forum ? Does anyone have PAM’s / Ref books on these ? How much does it weight ? Is the floor insulated like the roof and walls ? On the right of the door between the door and Jerrycan holder is a clip with rubber like a gun rack with a metal cup underneath. What is it for ? An antennae ? Any other info appreciated . I have worked in these for many years but never as an operator / maintainer just as screen watcher . Thanks a lot . Bob

Robert Bergeron 12-12-19 03:42

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of unreadable manufacturer data plate

rob love 12-12-19 04:07

There is a bit of data on the CADC postings for these boxes:

• Year: 1984
  • Make: DEW ENG LTD (48902)
  • Model: 12-FT, General Purpose Shelter
  • Curb Weight: 1698 lbs
  • GVWR: 5141 lbs
  • Height: 7ft 11 inches
  • Width: 7 ft 6 inches
The CFTOs for the boxes will still be on the defense network.

maple_leaf_eh 12-12-19 15:01

The flexible vinyl section around the perimeter at the rear is for a penthouse, probably the mating piece to connect to conventional modular tentage. When that style of box is on an MLVW, there is an interface that not only has poles out from the floor of the box and a short arch pole back to the roofline, but a series of skirts that enclose around the issue ladder. Quite a clear but maddeningly only-fits-one-way piece.

The weak spot is a ball and socket knuckle at the end of the arch poles. MCE had those knuckles in storage because the troops used to break them (quite innocently) often enough.

FrankJames 12-12-19 15:19

Anyone know if these things are easily mounted and dismounted with M36 C ?

Can they be lifted with just one hook or is there more to it?

Thanks!

rob love 12-12-19 15:29

It seems to me that the 4 cables that hold the box to the truck are used to lift it. There is a ring stowed in a bracket on the outside of the box that joins the 4 cables together.

An empty box is certainly within the range of a M36 crane load capacity.

maple_leaf_eh 12-12-19 15:36

The principle is for a stock MLVW to carry any SEV box without modifications.

There are reinforced corners with lifting eyes in the top corners, and an issued kit with 1/2" dia cables that lash the box crisscross along the sides. Only four cables. The box could be forklifted in too.

To link the box to the truck there is a coupling and a pigtail cable on the box. I've never worried about this before, but think the connection is on the front of the box.

Robert Bergeron 13-12-19 03:18

Thanks Rob for the info . Thanks Terry . The connection to the truck electrical is on the front . The power inlet for generator power is in the back to the right of the door below the Jerrycan holders. Mine has got an AC duct on the roof . The ladder to the left of the door is standard and so is the multi fuel heater to the front left on a shelf outside . The steel ring brackets are standard on both sides .

FrankJames 13-12-19 14:28

Thank you, Rob and Terry.

Going to try to pick up one of these next time I see them.