MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Info needed: Cheap Aluminium radiators in Ford CMP? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28433)

DaveBuckle 24-01-18 09:45

Cheap Aluminium radiators in Ford CMP?

Has anyone got good or bad experiences to share regarding using ebay aluminium radiators to suit Ford flathead V8 installed in a Blitz?
Let me know so I can make an informed decision - thanks

Lang 24-01-18 10:11

I have put in aluminium radiators at 1/3 the price in a 1942 Jeep, Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol. All were excellent and still in perfect operating condition after a number of years rough off road use.

I believe there is no doubt they are more thermally efficient than the originals but you will have to do your own research on that.

I think saving several hundred dollars on a lightly used vehicle such as a collector blitz would be a an excellent budgetary decision.

Just my opinion.

Lang

Mike Kelly 24-01-18 12:00

yes

Not Ford.

I fitted one of those Ebay al. radiators in my 1940 C8 Chevy, also in my 87 XF Falcon and the neighbour has just fitted one in a EA Falcon. No problems so far. For around 200 bucks it's a bargain. The local radiator business' must be crying with the downturn in repairs/recores - because fitting a new al. radiator yourself is a fraction of the cost of a re-core

Tony Smith 24-01-18 20:48

One point to keep in mind is that while those Alloy radiators come in a wide array of applications (I've seen V8 into Model A, 8BA into '32, etc), virtually all of them are standard rads with 2 row cores. I've never seen an equivalent to the 4 row "Tropical" radiator as fitted to Australian Blitzes and some MCP's.

While a fine option for a light car, you may find that the standard radiator will struggle to keep a hard-working 3-ton blitz cool in an Aussie summer.

Lang 24-01-18 21:04

Tony

Just had a look for aluminium radiators on Ebay Australia. Any number of 4 row radiators and nearly all 6 and 8 cylinder types are 3 row. They are a lot more efficient than the originals so I reckon a blitz would have no problems, even pulling logs. Prices seem to be around $150-200 which makes them a quarter the price of originals.

Lang

Dusonn 25-01-18 18:53

rad

It seems there are quite a few of these to choose from on Ebay. Anybody would have a link for the most suitable one for Ford cab.13 as for size and look?

DaveBuckle 26-01-18 23:47

Thank you all for those responses - just a case now of making sure it can fit in the space and the hose outlets are compatible diameter.

Tony Smith 29-01-18 09:32

On the subject, Petr Brezina has fitted an alloy radiator to his Ford V8 powered Carrier, and recently swapped it out for a larger unit. If you have the space, go bigger!

Harlé Sylvain 15-04-18 17:58

Hello
Finaly ,what is the right type of alluminium radiator to use on ford cmp , I take the mesurement of the ford 1941 one , and it seems to be too large to fit a cab 12?

Does any one knows?
Cheers
Sylvain