MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Paisley, Ontario 1976 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27644)

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-07-17 04:55

Paisley, Ontario 1976

4 Attachment(s)
Paisley Ontario was host to Ontario, Canada's first ever military vehicle rally. I was a wee lad of 16 at the time and took these photographs with big eyes and big dreams.

Although I had already bought my first MV by then (a Canadian contract MB from a classified ad in the Toronto Star for $350), it was seeing CMPs and carriers, and hob-nobbing with pioneers like Don Smith, Bill Beardmore, Brian Asbury and Steve Alford that really set me on my course.

Within two years of the show I had bought Dennis Cardy's C15A wireless, traded the MB away for an 11 cab F15A and was co-owner of the Mk.1* Bren Carrier which I still own (now outright) today.

The show lead me down a path of acquaintances and friends which has been incredibly rich and fulfilling and that I hope can last for many years to come.

Jordan Baker 15-07-17 05:08

Great pictures. I would have loved to have been around then (still had 6 years to go).

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-07-17 05:16

3 Attachment(s)
Also within a few years of the Paisley event I was lucky enough to be introduced to Peter Simundson who is an incredibly wonderful and knowledgeable fellow and one who probably more than anyone else encouraged, supported and abetted my descent into this hobby.

Not may years after that I attempted (with the bravado of youth) to buy one of the Fox armoured cars in the Elliot Brothers wrecking yard near Port Hope. I'm sure when an 18 year old walked through the door asking to buy it they laughed, but did in fact give me a price of $3000 (knowing full well in that day and age it was a fortune beyond me). A year later after raising the funds and walking in with $3000 cash they told me the price was now $5000. Many years and one owner later I finally consummated the deal. It worked out for the best because had I bought the old girl back then I surely would have choked on its restoration.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 15-07-17 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 240092)
Great pictures. I would have loved to have been around then (still had 6 years to go).

Say Jordan, notice all the matt khaki and OD paint? All those years closer to these vehicle's origins seems to have given them an appreciation of their original finishes.

maple_leaf_eh 15-07-17 23:03

"Mercenary Manual"

I remember a newsstand adventurer's magazine from the 70s that had an article on some Ontario guy who had a 3/4 M37, was part of the then military vehicle community, and wrote some little books called, "Mercenary Manual" Parts I and II. It was supposed to be a pocket reference on AFV and aircraft recognition, foreign weapons handling, mine, urban warfare, comms, and a whole lot of other soldier level skills. The first name was Terry. Ring any bells?

peter simundson 16-07-17 01:37

The same guy???

And the same guy hung with Don Smith at his shop on
Greenlane and used Don's deuce to deliver the Gun
newspapers he published, he painted CIA on the tailgate.
Remember Stenig Gruener and his pal?
And the guy with the 52 jeep at Paisley with the loaded semi
automatic pistol under the front seat cushion.
And...the 37mm that was towed just North of Paisley and
fired in the bush

Peter S

Dennis Cardy 16-07-17 02:34

Hello Peter,

Good to hear from you..

Yes... you certainly did have a lot of interesting friends…LOL…

Dennis.