MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lost ww2 photographs (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18454)

Little Jo 13-05-12 12:02

Lost ww2 photographs

5 Attachment(s)
Hi All

I was given a lot of allegedly lost WW2 photographs and would like to share some of them with my fellow MLU friends. I found them interesting.

Phil. I know you like this sort of stuff so I have sent all to you.

Cheers

Tony :no4:

Hanno Spoelstra 13-05-12 12:17

Tony,

Always nice to see these sort of pics, but they cannot be "lost" in the sense of never seen before as I have seen at least three of them in publications.

Anyway, keep posting, please!

H.

Little Jo 13-05-12 15:09

Found photos

Hi Hanno

You will note I used the term "Allegedly" lost photos found. The guy who sent them to me claimed they were, "Recently found in an old foot locker and were able to be developed". I am always a sceptic with that sort of claim.

I also have also seen photos of the attack on Pearl Harbour claiming they were taken with a Kodak Brownie Box Camera and the roll of old film was only recently found. However I had seen most of the photos previously.

I know every now and then there are such claims but I take it all with a pinch of salt and just enjoy the photos for what they are and think of the people involved in those terrible war times.

Cheers

Hard to believe that these pictures were recently

Keith Webb 13-05-12 22:59

Skeptic

You're right to be skeptical, these are a mix of photos taken by many different cameras which someone has probably cobbled together from various sources around the internet to create something akin to spam. I must have received these at least a dozen times over the past few years.

Little Jo 14-05-12 03:06

Photographs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 164810)
You're right to be skeptical, these are a mix of photos taken by many different cameras which someone has probably cobbled together from various sources around the internet to create something akin to spam. I must have received these at least a dozen times over the past few years.

Hi Keith

You are correct of course, when looking at the photos it is very obvious, they were taken at different times using a varied range of cameras. However there are 38 photos in the batch sent and they are still interesting just the same regardless of the "Claims" all now part of history.

Cheers

Ryan 14-05-12 06:55

photos

Interesting thread.
Some of you are alluding to some sort of scam. How is this done? I've never heard of such before.
Jo and keith, did you receive these via email or something?

Little Jo 14-05-12 08:48

More photos

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 164830)
Interesting thread.
Some of you are alluding to some sort of scam. How is this done? I've never heard of such before.
Jo and keith, did you receive these via email or something?

Hi Ryan

An old Army buddy sent the photos to me via email because he knows I am into that sort of thing. Anyway here are some more photos to share.

Cheers

Richard Coutts-Smith 14-05-12 09:28

Ryan, not so much as a scam, as mis-information.
Periodically get e-mails with these and other photos, but for some reason they seem to be linked with stories of just discovered and undeveloped film, or used to back up "Stories" of derring do or some such.
Personally, I find them interesting enough as they stand, after all a picture is worth a thousand words...
Did get some terrific colour ones taken in Germany a while back, about time they did the rounds again.
Rich.

Ryan 14-05-12 11:13

photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith (Post 164836)
Ryan, not so much as a scam, as mis-information.
Periodically get e-mails with these and other photos, but for some reason they seem to be linked with stories of just discovered and undeveloped film, or used to back up "Stories" of derring do or some such.
Personally, I find them interesting enough as they stand, after all a picture is worth a thousand words...
Did get some terrific colour ones taken in Germany a while back, about time they did the rounds again.
Rich.

Ahh, no worries. I thought it may have been an email requesting money for photos or something.

Little Jo 14-05-12 11:28

War time photos

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Ah shucks, I guess another few to keep the memories alive. :D :D

Cheers

Little Jo 14-05-12 11:32

Some more photos

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

I might as well post some more.

Cheers

Little Jo 14-05-12 11:36

And a few more

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Last ones for today.

Cheers

Richard Coutts-Smith 15-05-12 00:09

Just been sent this link:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...he-war/100180/
immediate Post War pics, all credited and with a little extra information.(The way it should be done). Worth the effort to have a browse, something to be learnt for everyone.
Rich.

Little Jo 15-05-12 03:00

Ww2 in photographic history

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith (Post 164867)
Just been sent this link:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...he-war/100180/
immediate Post War pics, all credited and with a little extra information.(The way it should be done). Worth the effort to have a browse, something to be learnt for everyone.
Rich.

Hi Richard

Thanks mate, that was a very good site. Great clear photographs. I have saved a heap to my WW2 photographic History collection. Here are some more of the "alleged" lost collection :coffee

Cheers

Little Jo 15-05-12 03:06

These are the last

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Here are the last in the batch. I would suggest, tongue in cheek, that I am sure I may have seen some of the photos in "Movies".... Well "Thats all folks".. :smoker:

Cheers