MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Registering and insuring an m35a2 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13944)

dugmckenzie 15-12-09 21:58

Registering and insuring an m35a2

I am looking to buy my first mv. i am wondering about the laws in Alberta that are about driving 6x6's on the road. i have read the post about the MLVW's and am wondering if i was to buy an am gen or kaiser from the late 60's early 70's would it be legal to drive on the road. right now there is too much snow to drive any normal vehicle and i would be buying my first truck to be driven quite alot as i live in a farming community and could make decent side money hauling for farmers in the winter when im off work. i would also be looking at doing camping and hunting with it. my question is how does one register and insure one of these, if you go with the older trucks are they able to pass safety and have insurance? i know of a farmer that has a couple, and i assume he drives them on the road cause i drove past his house and he had a horse trailer on the hitch. however farmers have farm plates and can clame pretty much anything is a grain truck, but i live in town so i cannot qualify for farm plates.

does anyone run these on the road currently? i am very interested in getting a fleet of 6x6s. its a childhood dream and i am finally making enough money to start getting into a hobby like this. i have a few friends who are also interested in getting into the hobby as well, especially if you can drive a deuce down the street, legally, in the middle of winter :D.

Wpns 421 15-12-09 23:35

M35 on the road

We have a M35 and a M109A3 both licenced for the road. The procedure is quite simply, once you have the truck and the paperwork if you import the truck. take the paperwork to the licence office and they will issue you a registration and then you pass the safety inspection and if in Ontario a clean air test. Once passed, they will issue plates and a correct registration.
Be aware that to pass the truck at safety you must bring it to Cdn standards, clearance lights, backup lights etc. It is easy if you know what you are doing. We have done this many times. These trucks are inspected yearly and can be expensive for plates. Insurance is another matter, the best is to contact your insurance company/broker. If you plan on working with the truck you are looking at commercial insurance. At present in Quebec where we have govt insurance on our plates and plates for a 3 axle truck costs $1400, insurance 1 side only $800+. In Ont plates are less but insurance is more. Owning a big truck is expensive.
Do you plan on buying the M35 from a dealer or a private individual?? Gilles
I drove our M35 today in the snow, our trucks have Cdn MLVW tires and not the Non directional tires.

dugmckenzie 16-12-09 00:04

thanks, that will deffinately help i am in alberta so things are different with the insurance. however the registration is about the same as i can tell, i just didnt know if it you were able to get them on the road. i would be working witht the truck doing snow removal mostly but i was thinking about doing hotshot work for a company in town also, so i would be needing commercial on one of them. i was thinking of getting a couple of them because they such a good price and very awesome. im surprised you dont see more of them out west here up in the oil patch. i know a few companies in bc use them for logging but you dont see them much except sometimes on a farm but very rarely nowadays. most of the military vehicles you see on farms are the WWII M37's and the occasional carrier sitting in the back behind the barn. i have a few that i am trying to buy but old vets love their m37's. theres no muscle cars to restore left around here and there is alot of interest in mv's around here but no one knows anything about the hobby.thanks for the info it will help now that i know that you can drive them legally i will be saving my pennies to get a couple at once and put one to work.

WayneR 16-12-09 03:14

Registration in Alberta

I just got my M38 registered in Edmonton and the only thing I had to do for the registration was have an out of province inspection done. Other than that there were no delays or headaches.

Wayne

Wpns 421 16-12-09 21:22

M35

For snow plowing awesome truck lots of torque, hotshot work not to good unless you are local, don't forget if you get 100 kph you're doing very good. We have a nice M37 for sale see our site at militarytrucks.ca Gilles