MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recommended plant haulage firms UK ? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20941)

RichardT10829 14-09-13 21:52

Recommended plant haulage firms UK ?

Just starting the process of ringing around for quotes to get my carrier to W&P, can anyone recommend a firm ?

:thup2:

Richard Farrant 14-09-13 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardT10829 (Post 185539)
Just starting the process of ringing around for quotes to get my carrier to W&P, can anyone recommend a firm ?

Sending a PM

Tim Bell 15-09-13 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardT10829 (Post 185539)

Have you asked Rex Cadman - he can arrange collection.

Tim

RichardT10829 15-09-13 18:03

No to be fair I have not, I never even thought about Rex.... The carrier will be unveiled at the show, or that is my plan so it would be nice if it was there ! I don't think Rex would be able to accommodate me being so far away.... But I suppose you never know.

RichardT10829 16-09-13 12:43

First quote came back from a local firm..... £1400 +vat

I thought it would be in the mid to upper hundreds, but that's a joke !

If its going to be thousands I can't afford it so won't bother.

Ben 16-09-13 13:48

Rich

If they're coming down the M1, stop and pick me up half way. Is there room on your bike for two?
I've not asked yet about prices from here direct.

Ben

RichardT10829 16-09-13 15:05

Spoke to Rex, he reckons you can get three carriers on a 40ft unit. So yeah potentially room for three machines.... If you email me where the carrier would need picked up from I will do more digging, but it's looking grim :-(

Hans Mulder 16-09-13 18:56

Sure makes the hobby that much more expensive, doesn't it? I was stopped by the RCMP weekend before last on my way to a parade, with the carrier on the trailer behind the truck, and ordered to change the vehicle and trailer registration because of the weight...which effectively doubles the cost of truck insurance and quadruples the trailer registration...ouch.

eddy8men 16-09-13 21:01

rich get it road registered then get break down cover with the AA, then all you have to do is drive it to the end of the street fake a break down and they will take you to your onward destination :rolleyes although they might smell a rat once they find out it's 380 miles away

Euan McDonald 16-09-13 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy8men (Post 185648)
rich get it road registered then get break down cover with the AA, then all you have to do is drive it to the end of the street fake a break down and they will take you to your onward destination :rolleyes although they might smell a rat once they find out it's 380 miles away

I like an ideas man!

Ron Pier 17-09-13 08:25

You could consider buying a cheap 7.5 ton flat bed truck with beaver tail. I'm sure you can register it "private light goods" as per a car or van. As long as it's for your own use or recovery. Lots of the banger race boys and horsey types use them. I would think that even the heaviest 7.5 tonners stripped to a light flat bed would not put you over weight. My last 7.5 tipper was a Mitsubishi Canter and we could carry 4.3 tons on that. Most 'brickies' will know the rules I would think! It depends if you can park it of course, but you would then have something, not just for W&P.........Or maybe you could just hire one? Ron

Paul Dutton 17-09-13 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 185677)
You could consider buying a cheap 7.5 ton flat bed truck with beaver tail. I'm sure you can register it "private light goods" as per a car or van. As long as it's for your own use or recovery. Lots of the banger race boys and horsey types use them. I would think that even the heaviest 7.5 tonners stripped to a light flat bed would not put you over weight. My last 7.5 tipper was a Mitsubishi Canter and we could carry 4.3 tons on that. Most 'brickies' will know the rules I would think! It depends if you can park it of course, but you would then have something, not just for W&P.........Or maybe you could just hire one? Ron

This is what my mate did for his tractors he shows.
He bought a 7.5 ton curtainsider the (lot cheaper!) and converted himself with winch and beaver tail. Also a tow hitch, two tractors and caraven to stay in! Whole lot cost just over £2,000!!!! :note:
He pays small fee at local farm to park it in the yard! :thup2:
Thats what im doing when get my new toy!!! :drunk:

eddy8men 17-09-13 12:47

there's always the option of putting it on the neck of a lowloader trailer if someone that is near to you is bringing some heavy kit down to the show. is there anyone local with a tank that you know of ?
we'll get you to the show somehow rich don't worry.

Paul Dutton 17-09-13 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy8men (Post 185693)
there's always the option of putting it on the neck of a lowloader trailer if someone that is near to you is bringing some heavy kit down to the show. is there anyone local with a tank that you know of ?
we'll get you to the show somehow rich don't worry.

Whos up for a push...??? :rolleyes
Anyone got a Sirkorsky they taking or a Horsa...??? :fry:

Just throwing my tuppence in the pot! :cheers:

RichardT10829 17-09-13 13:41

Cheers guys, fingers crossed something comes up... In the meantime it's back to the grind.

carrierbarry 17-09-13 21:40

Cargo

My old ford cargo with beavertail keeps going and going.
I had to put a good winch on just incase we have to recover my MKII.
Made up some good strong ramps.
Then your off.
Should not cost much more than £2500 and its yours.
Do not need Tacho or haulage license so long as you register it as private heavy goods and you only use it for your carrier.

Make sure its a cargo with wooden deck ( keeps weight down)

Barry

Watford

Nigel Watson 18-09-13 10:03

This year to W&P

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardT10829 (Post 185628)
First quote came back from a local firm..... £1400 +vat

I thought it would be in the mid to upper hundreds, but that's a joke !

If its going to be thousands I can't afford it so won't bother.

Hi Richard. It cost me £1200 this year to get my carrier down and back from Dundee which was the best I could get. It took several days as it was done via backloads. Not the best way as it was returned with damage.

What about a multi carrier load starting my end? Would get 3 or 4 on a low loader!
Worth looking at.

Nigel

RichardT10829 18-09-13 11:10

Well I know Ben needs collecting en route too so that's three of us ? Maybe we could get our heads together :) :) :)