MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bubba in the CF (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25566)

chris vickery 12-04-16 19:36

Bubba in the CF

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

It appears that Bubba works in the CF as well.
I suspect this is a mock vehicle to represent enemy force?
Just needs a DShK in the back and an ISIS flag

Bob Carriere 12-04-16 19:39

Nice paint job.....

...from a kindergarden for 4 y.o.

Cheers

chris vickery 12-04-16 19:41

"Sir, I'm a Vehicle Technician, not a painter..."

rob love 12-04-16 22:47

While it could have been a vehicle tech who did that (we did have a few special needs guys in the trade, as most trades do), it could just as easily have been the user. I woudl lean away from a vehicle tech, since most of them know the repercussions of such sloppy work.

I have seen similar terrible paintjobs from reserve units when they did not like the shiny lincoln commercial green that their support vehicle came in.

chris vickery 12-04-16 23:26

Rob, do you agree that this is an opposition force mockup for training purposes?
Only thin I see that would be more realistic would have been choosing a Toyota over the Ford although I have seen plenty of pics of Fords in Iraq and Syria.

rob love 13-04-16 03:08

Can't agree or disagree, although I suppose it could represent a "technical". Normally those were Toyota helix models though.

The vehicle is quite old for a DND commercial light truck. The DND has a policy of releasing trucks within 4 years and a certain mileage if I recall correctly...same for the autos. There is a far better return for the dollar, and a far lower overall maintenance cost. There were reports stating that units who thought they were saving anything by keeping the commercial vehicles for a year or two longer were actually costing the system. So to see a 12/13 year old vehicle for sale with a craptastic paint-job really defies the fleet policy.

chris vickery 13-04-16 04:05

And all that for a minimum $5500 bid.

Robin Craig 13-04-16 09:30

But as the folks say, what provenance to show that it is a genuine, as used by the CF paint scheme, somewhere, sometime for some reason, the exception that proves the rule.

The photo is the smoking gun. Love it.

Robin

chris vickery 13-04-16 14:21

I saw a photo recently which came out of Syria of a F250 in service with ISIS rebels. What made it particularly interesting was the fact that the name, number and address of the ex-plumbing outfit that previously owned it was still painted on the doors. (Texas, USA) I guess the ex owner was suing the dealership and questions have arisen as to how and why used American trucks were ending up in the conflict in Syria. Someone was buying them at auction in the USA and shipping them overseas...

David Dunlop 13-04-16 14:59

Wouldn't the plate number provide some history?

David

rob love 13-04-16 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 223235)
I saw a photo recently which came out of Syria of a F250 in service with ISIS rebels. What made it particularly interesting was the fact that the name, number and address of the ex-plumbing outfit that previously owned it was still painted on the doors. (Texas, USA) I guess the ex owner was suing the dealership and questions have arisen as to how and why used American trucks were ending up in the conflict in Syria. Someone was buying them at auction in the USA and shipping them overseas...

When I was a contractor in KAF, the DND along with just about every other nation, would rent vehicles from a rental agency located right in KAF. Vehicles would range from the semi-luxourious to rolling scrap. One of the guys ran some of the serial numbers and sure enough, some were stolen out of the US.