MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ontario Military Vehicle Association News (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Omva Milton 2017 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27692)

Terry Witiuk 25-07-17 01:55

Omva Milton 2017

1 Attachment(s)
OMVA MILTON 2017. Labour Day Weekend, September 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th....mark it on your calendar and start making plans to attend. See announcement below and/or visit www.steam-era.com. There is limited onsite camping for those who are interested. The OMVA Executive is thrilled that we've been invited back to participate in Steam-Era. Plans and details are still being worked out with the goal of making this another great event for both the public and OMVA members. If you have any questions, please contact myself or Les Fisher via private messaging or by email omva.cmp@gmail.com

Cheers, Terry.

BCA 28-07-17 02:47

Milton Steam Era is a great opportunity to display your MV. We have been allotted a beautiful grassy area overlooking the Steam Show to display our vehicles. Enjoy the opportunity to see the 80 acres of steam and farm machinery as well as meet up with other military vehicle collectors.

Terry Witiuk 06-08-17 15:37

Layout of event site

1 Attachment(s)
See image below for OMVA Vehicle Participant entrance and our display area.

Robin Craig 06-08-17 20:04

I am trying to decide between on site and porcelain camping.

What is the on site evening like?

Terry Witiuk 07-08-17 03:19

On Site Camping

From the Steam Era website...

"Camping sites are available for members & non-members who are exhibiting.
Sites are reserved on a first come first served basis and must be booked and prepaid by July 15th. Those campers that have rolled over their site at the previous years show, will have first choice of their site. After July 15th all remaining sites become available to everyone on a first come basis.

All sites will have 115Volts/15 amps available within 50' of the site however, no water service is available in the camping area.

SITE FEES for 2017
Members, Exhibitors, Vendors..........$60.00/site
Visitors.......................................... .........$70.00/site plus each adult camper will be required to purchase a 3 day pass for the week-end

Please reserve your camping in advance by calling:
Wayne or Judi Fischer at 519-740-7185 or 905-878-3114
or contact by email: wjsteam@execulink.com"

Not sure if camping spots are still available but if this is of interest, please contact the Fischer's as per above.

There will a few OMVA Members camping in military/period correct tents located within our display area who will act as security for the vehicles. No General camping in our display area.

There is a shower trailer available to those camping at the event.

In terms of entertainment, we are planning a BBQ and outdoor movie for Saturday evening. From the Steam-Era organisers, evening entertainment will be as follows:
Friday: Kris Barclay (Cdn Country Artist)
Saturday: Mini Tractor Pulls, and Square Dancing
Sunday: Line Dancing and Lantern walk.
Weather permitting we will have a spark show each evening.

Cheers, Terry.

Robin Craig 07-08-17 05:06

Oh well, thanks for the info.

I guess it will be porcelain camping then this time. I will observe and make notes for 2018 and be better prepared then.

Terry, you asked (by PM) if I will be bringing anything, well that depends if anything is delivered, can't very well bring it if I don't have it on hand, know what I mean?

Hope to see familiar faces at the event, it has been a rough year so far.

charlie fitton 07-08-17 12:43

Looks like another good year.

I have available (likely) an M-38, BSA MC, TRW MC, and a mule If you have room for them.

f

Terry Witiuk 07-08-17 14:21

OMVA Milton

Room for all MVs :thup:

Terry Witiuk 14-08-17 00:42

OMVA Milton 2017

With just about three weeks to go, please contact me if you are planning to attend with a vehicle(s) to display. We will try to have pre-printed name tags for those who reply to this post. Vehicle details such as year, make & model will help. Whether or not your vehicle is licensed for road use, appropriate vehicle insurance is required.

For those who plan to be there on Saturday September 2nd, either with or without a vehicle, there will be a complimentary BBQ for OMVA members. Again, please let us know if you're going to be there so we can ensure there is enough food for all.

Each day, there will be a combined steam & military vehicle parade. On Saturday the 2nd, we will try to have a military vehicle only parade and again, having vehicle info in advance will help.

If you have any other questions, please ask. Please contact us at omva.cmp@gmail.com

Cheers, Terry.

Terry Witiuk 25-08-17 14:44

OMVA Milton 2017

The Military Vehicle Parade has been scheduled for 1:30pm on Saturday (2nd).

The folks who actually organise the Steam Era event, are looking for volunteers to help out. Specifically we have been asked if any of our members can help with manning the "service gate" which is where vehicles and event participants enter/leave the facility. The shifts are 2 hour blocks and basically run from 08:00 to 20:00‎ (Friday to Sunday) and 08:00 to 16:00 on Monday. If you can help out with this, please let us know.

Cheers, Terry.

Robin Craig 30-08-17 13:53

To pay something back to this hobby I will be bringing my stencil cutting machine with me and as long as stock of file card material is around I will happily make stencils for folks who drop by.

I know a few of you wanted stencils cut a few years back, like Barry Churcher and never got them, so here is your chance.

File folder card stock is ideal, I will bring some but it may not last so bring some as well. I won't be doing brass shim stock as that usually ends in a mess.

I wont be charging, just be patient. Its 1"size from memory. It is an effort to bring out but useful for tire pressure markings and personal kit marking.

Barry Churcher 04-09-17 15:18

2 Attachment(s)
I had a great time at Milton. I want to thank Terry Witiuk for putting on a demo of rope splicing and Robin Craig for his demo on rope twinning. The second photo is of Les' first attempt.
Barry

Barry Churcher 04-09-17 15:27

2 Attachment(s)
Jordan Baker with his latest treasure.

Empire tractor manufactured in 1947 and 1948 using a Jeep driveline.

Robin Craig 04-09-17 16:09

2 Attachment(s)
I would like to add to Barry's post, a great event, my first event this year with a vehicle.

Thanks to Terry Witiuk and Les Fisher and Brian Asbury and to Jeff Armitage and Denise and to several others whose names I forget, especially the ladies in the kitchen trailer.

The show is on a large site and the OMVA component adds another mechanical variation. The grounds are large with sections for all kinds of agricultural and construction and stationary machinery and equipment around.

Right in front of the OMVA site we was a dragline running loading stone to a crusher powered by various engines. This was just typical of displays of a living nature that could be found around the site.

If you have not been to this show it is well worth attending in its own right.

The variety of vehicles we saw side by side was interesting, This picture shows a combine alongside the SUMB and Iltis owned by Brian Asbury. We were also visited by a steam engine that siddled up along the Sherman and there will a picture of that surface I am sure.

I would say that in comparison the event had the feel of Beltring in the UK with the constant activity all day long and with people milling around watching the displays and the constant movement of historic vehicles on the roadways of the site, garden tractors following steam engines following a SUMB or an Iltis.

It was a grand time.

I was happy to have my motorcycle to be able to putter around the grounds and even managed to wire on a purchase to the rack at one stage, very much reminiscent of visiting the stalls at Beltring.

Once again thanks to all the OMVA folks, and what Barry was referring to was whipping not twinnng or rope, a link is here to similar process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wECupgmIJio

Robin Craig 04-09-17 16:15

1 Attachment(s)
I am unsure why thos images have rotated, I will try to sort those out

Les Fisher 05-09-17 17:20

What a great weekend it was from the good weather to all the hard work done by so many. There was no less then 5 people that brought out multiple vehicles. They came from as far away as Ottawa and even from Bruce Mines just outside Sault Ste. Marie. We had members and non members helping in every area. Thank you to the people for helping to put up the tent and even to an unexpected visitor from the newly acquired M4 Sherman from the Military Technology Museum. I knew as soon as I saw the Sherman show up my chances of winning the peoples choice award for my WC56 command car was done. It wouldn't matter how much I stuffed the ballot box the tank would be the overwhelming favourite. The best of show went to Barry Churcher with his C15TA. The best display went to the Vintage Signals Team with a mobile military kitchen as a close second. The furthest distance travelled once again belongs to Angus Bussineau from Bruce Mines with the Hagglunds. Many thanks to Jeff Armitage and Dennise for setting up the kitchen and the ladies that served and prepared burgers, hotdogs, coleslaw and the best corn I have had all year. Thanks to Terry Witiuk for the movies system for the evening and the rope spicing lessons. I know I will miss someone so thanks to all that participated and visited our fall 2017 rally !

Les Fisher 05-09-17 20:59

I knew I would forget to mention someone in my previous comments and I most likely still am going to. First and foremost we can't forget our hosts at Steam Era. They have been nothing but receptive to our presence. They give us everything we need and want and I just want to say publicly "thank you" to all of them and to the great united effort it takes to make a weekend like that work. Also I need to name the other two ladies that prepared and served the food. My wife Karen Fisher and Brenda Gabel along with Dennise. They both took the day to help us as they did in the spring at Aquino. Also it can't go without a shout out Robin Craig for providing the desserts and the rope whipping lesson! Robin I am hooked !

Wayne Hingley 05-09-17 21:10

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like a great event guys! I hope to be able to attend one of these years.

Robin: My monitor was getting banged up from flipping it over on its side to look at your photos (nice photos by the way - that crushing setup is pretty cool).

Michael R. 05-09-17 21:53

1 Attachment(s)
If anyone wishes to donate their Iltis next year, the crushing theme can be demonstrated with the Sherman . . .

rob love 05-09-17 23:00

Straining to crush, or straining not to crush? Methinks your caption needs a slight edit.

Crush em all, and let the overseas recyclers sort them out.

Robin Craig 06-09-17 01:09

I quote our leader Les Fisher from his post where he states "Also it can't go without a shout out Robin Craig for providing the desserts and the rope whipping lesson! Robin I am hooked !"

Les, I have been hooked on desserts for years!

Les Fisher 06-09-17 01:29

I couldn't tell, but I was referring to the rope whipping !

Kolten Hooper 06-09-17 02:07

Yet another great year at the Steam Show in Milton. As mentioned by others above, a BIG thank-you to all involved!

I just wanted to take a moment to pass on a message from the Steam Show organizers whom Brian Gough and I spoke with after emceeing the military vehicle parade...

The organizers were genuinely extremely thankful to all those involved in the OMVA/military vehicle display! They said that we play a large role in the event as not all visitors who attend are interested in agricultural equipment, therefore our display effectively helps them to appeal to a wider variety of audiences! They wished for us to pass their thanks on to as many of our attendees as possible! So, THANK-YOU to all! :)

Bob Phillips 10-09-17 14:26

Milton

3 Attachment(s)
Great show, great people, nice display of vehicles and nice weather (while I was there) !

Attachment 93833

Attachment 93834

Attachment 93835

Peter Phillips 10-09-17 16:56

Awesome Show!

I had the fortunate opportunity to go to the show this year as I happened to be in Southern Ontario at the perfect time over the Labor Day weekend. You folks put on a top notch display not to mention the Steam Era show itself is second to none; at least in my opinion! My only regret is that I didn't get to hang out and shoot to bull with some of the members, but with a wife and daughter in tow my time was "dictated" shall I say. Just to put the overall show in perspective, we spent 5 hours strolling through the grounds to see everything and could've added to that easily.

Kolten Hooper 11-09-17 19:16

1 Attachment(s)
Posting this photo on behalf of an MLU user (who shall remain nameless :yappy:) who does not know how to upload an image!

Pictured are the Military Technology Museums' M4A2E8 Sherman tank which won the OMVA "Peoples Choice Award" and Barry Churchers C15TA which won the OMVA "Best of Show Award".

Les Fisher 12-09-17 13:37

Thanks for posting for someone that's doesn't know how to do it himself !

charlie fitton 12-09-17 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Craig (Post 242097)
I am unsure why thos images have rotated, I will try to sort those out

There"s plaques?

Barry Churcher 12-09-17 17:03

Yes, the Steam Show came around Saturday night with these plaques.

Terry Witiuk 20-01-18 02:24

OMVA Milton - Steam Era

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Charlie. I have a brass plaque for you. Let me know if you're going to be at Acton on March 31st. If yes, I'll bring it along. Cheers.