MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WTB Ansul 5# extinguisher (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16124)

chris vickery 05-02-11 19:21

WTB Ansul 5# extinguisher

As the title says, looking for the correct CF type Ansul 5# fire extinguisher with bracket for my M38A1 CDN3.

This is the baby blue painted type.

rob love 05-02-11 20:45

http://www.informatiquebridge.com/iltis/products.htm

Not sure who or where this site is, but they have the extinguishers on there for $120. Seems a little pricey to me, but then again once the vehicle fire starts, I suspect you would empty your wallet for one.

Edited to add: They are in Quebec.

Iltis-Components
(Bridge Computing Inc.)
P.O. Box 18, Sainte-Julie, Québec, J3E 1X5
www.bridgecomputing.com
info@iltis-components.com
T : 450-922-1642
F : 450-922-9705

Jon Skagfeld 05-02-11 23:04

Chris: My 5# Ansul is RED. Are you mixing up the larger Purple K?

Google Ansul...that's where I got mine as well as the 7077 bracket.

rob love 05-02-11 23:28

Jon
Any that I ever saw in service from the late 70s until present were blue. There were some red ones at the local milsurp scrap yard, but they were either older or of an earlier design with a rounded bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Ansul-Blue.gif

chris vickery 05-02-11 23:37

I saw that Greg Wright had some on his milsurp website but they are the red Iltis style ones.
Considering that I want to maintain the appearance of a mid to late 70's Jeep, I do require the blue one.
Rob, is the bracket special?

rob love 05-02-11 23:46

Bracket is commercial. Here is one on ebay. It was on before and received no bids so you may just get it for 98 cents.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Vehicle-Brack...item2c5a9b9832

rob love 05-02-11 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 142688)
I saw that Greg Wright had some on his milsurp website but they are the red Iltis style ones.

I have never seen a red one in an Ilits. Perhaps Ontario uses a different supply depot than the rest of the CF?

chris vickery 06-02-11 00:09

I am just going by what is advertised, could be wrong but have seen mention of red Ansuls in CF service...

chris vickery 06-02-11 00:16

Hi Rob, I found an Ansul on Kijiji at $75, good price I think...
Just have to see if I can get it shipped

rob love 06-02-11 03:21

Just in case there ends up being a debate about the color of the extinguisher, I would offer this description from a checklist Jon sent me a few weeks back:

4210-21-856-9084 Extinguisher, fire, dry chem, hand type, 5 lb cap, cartridge discharged, low temp painted BLUE, w/hose and shut off nozzle, potassium bicarbonate powder.

Checklist was for a 5/4 ton, but all the smaller vehicles used the same 5 pound extinguisher.

Eric B 06-02-11 03:40

Fire Extinguisher

From my understanding, the colour denoted the temperature they were good for.

The light blue were for colder temperatures while the red was for warmer temperatures.

I actually had a dark blue at one point, which for some odd reason i painted light blue. Same make model and temp rating as the light blue.

I have seen all in use by DND.

The red ones can be painted light blue if you wish to change the colour.

Some of them also had the CFR painted on them.

Eric

Mike Baker 06-02-11 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 142695)
Hi Rob, I found an Ansul on Kijiji at $75, good price I think...
Just have to see if I can get it shipped

Is that the one in Fredericton? There is also a red one for sale outside of Comox that I just e-mailed the guy about.

Mike

BCA 06-02-11 07:36

Abdul extinguisher

I'll have a couple of the correct blue Ansul extinguishers at the OMVA swap meet on February 19 in Acton, Ontario. PM if you want to reserve one.
...... Brian

maple_leaf_eh 06-02-11 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 142688)
Considering that I want to maintain the appearance of a mid to late 70's Jeep, I do require the blue one.
Rob, is the bracket special?

Greg has all kinds of stuff that he doesn't catalog. He has a couple sheds and an old house trailer full of gear. Write him and ask. He can only say no.

BCA 07-02-11 02:21

Blue vs. Red

I believe that the colour of the extinguisher indicates the type of propellant gas: red extinguishers (good for normal temperature ranges) probably use
carbon dioxide. I believe the blue ones were charged with nitrogen which maintains a better pressure at low temperatures.
....... Brian

chris vickery 07-02-11 15:40

Brian, pm sent...

rob love 07-02-11 17:41

I did some quick research on the color and temp ratings, and I don't think the color has anything to do with it. There are two different ratings for the red line extinguisher, which include a low temp version which are good to some ungodly temp like -65, so it is doubtful that you would have one rated below that. All are presently painted red.
From the product spec sheet:
Temperature Ranges: -40° F to 120° F (-40° C to 49° C) and -65° F to 120° F (-54° C to 49° C) for Low Temp models

What I did find was that the old British rating system had french blue as indicating the extinguisher had dry powder in it. That system was changed in 1997, but it could very well be that the DND colored it's extinguishers based on the British system or an earlier Canadian system, and has never changed it's specs. Currently, the Canadian spec does call for the C type extinguishers to have a blue circle on them with the letter C in it.

Next time I see some of the guys I know at the base fire hall, I'll ask them.

chris vickery 07-02-11 20:02

The main reason or interest that I have with the blue Ansul is the fact that they are correct for a circa 1970's Canadian mv....

Like to do things correctly, otherwise it'd be like putting a Canadian Tire extinguisher on your cmp or MB!!!!

Anyhow, I can put this to rest as I have sourced what I need. Thanks for all the help.

Scott Bentley 07-02-11 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 142851)
I did some quick research on the color and temp ratings, and I don't think the color has anything to do with it. There are two different ratings for the red line extinguisher, which include a low temp version which are good to some ungodly temp like -65, so it is doubtful that you would have one rated below that. All are presently painted red.
From the product spec sheet:
Temperature Ranges: -40° F to 120° F (-40° C to 49° C) and -65° F to 120° F (-54° C to 49° C) for Low Temp models

What I did find was that the old British rating system had french blue as indicating the extinguisher had dry powder in it. That system was changed in 1997, but it could very well be that the DND colored it's extinguishers based on the British system or an earlier Canadian system, and has never changed it's specs. Currently, the Canadian spec does call for the C type extinguishers to have a blue circle on them with the letter C in it.

Next time I see some of the guys I know at the base fire hall, I'll ask them.

This makes sense...

My 5 lb Purple K (Light Blue) has a decal right on it that says "LOW TEMPURATURE" in big letters. I'll take a pic when I get home.

rob love 07-02-11 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 142860)
The main reason or interest that I have with the blue Ansul is the fact that they are correct for a circa 1970's Canadian mv....

Like to do things correctly, otherwise it'd be like putting a Canadian Tire extinguisher on your cmp or MB!!!!

Anyhow, I can put this to rest as I have sourced what I need. Thanks for all the help.

Chris
Debate is important...that's how we learn. It is one thing trying to decide what color is correct now while these are still in service. Can you imagine someone trying to figure it out 50 years from now after everyone who has seen the original are long gone? Even photos don't always do justice to what was normal. Look at how many times a photo was staged for a photographer. Or some obscure piece of equipment has become the norm in the minds of current collectors based on one photo.

chris vickery 08-02-11 01:04

Agreed whole-heartedly Rob!
It is funny that you mention what becomes urban myth based on what experts say or from pics posed etc. Debate is a good thing.

"Can you imagine someone trying to figure it out 50 years from now after everyone who has seen the original are long gone?"
This is another reason I try to do accurate restoration work, carefully researched so that pics of my stuff taken now does'nt have inaccuracies which may be taken ad-liem in the future.

chris vickery 13-02-11 18:32

Rob, I ended up with the bracket for 98 cents... It the shipping and handling that adds up but for roughly $15 I figure its a steal for a brand new one!!! :)

rob love 13-02-11 18:36

Good deal. Nothing like brand new. Seems to me Acklands was charging more than that for the bracket, but they have a reputation for never being undersold.