MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   C42 set power cable (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25972)

chris vickery 02-07-16 17:20

C42 set power cable

As I have yet to pickup some manuals on the C42 set, I have a question regarding the power cord.
I have a cable for my power supply which has terminal ends to attach directly to a CPP-2 or battery. It is about 6ft long.
For M38A1 installation, I would assume that there must have been a cable which would plug into the amphenol receptacle beside the passenger seat, similar to the way a RT-524 is connected.
Looking for one, a part number or some clarification on this.

rob love 02-07-16 19:15

The 50s M38 and M38A1 had a terminal box next to the passenger seat which would hook up the power wires. The Cdn2 and later used the 3 pin Bendix connector, which is still used for accessories today. I did see the odd M38A1 Cdn2 with the terminal box, but it was unusual. The addition of the Bendix connector was made to that 6 foot cable....at least I recall having to add them onto new cables. We used to run into a problem when the cables were too long as they would often get pinched by the passenger seat, and there was no fuse protection on that circuit. The front right door framework would also work through it`s socket and eventually wear into the power supply cable, also raising a few sparks. I would usually weld a washer to the bottom of the door framework so it could not work through.

I can get you the Bendix number, but I would suggest your best bet is to salvage one from a later radio power supply cable. The connectors I have seen on ebay usually go for outrageous prices.

From the top of my head, when using the 3 pin connector, A is positive, B is negative, and C is not used.

BCA 02-07-16 19:43

Chris, Yes there was a Canadian cable to power up the C42 Radio from the standard American power outlet beside the passenger seat in the M38 and M38A1. However the 1/4-ton truck (Jeep) Instruction book shows a simple junction box. I guess they realized that the jeep could be set up with the American power harness and plug. Then they modified the C42 power cables by adding the American cylindrical 3-pin plug. I have these cables in stock as well as the early junction box as shown in the manual. PM me for details..... Brian

chris vickery 03-07-16 15:19

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look through my copious collection of radio bits first to see what I have. If I recall, I did have a couple bendix plugs, just not sure if they are the correct ones. Will get back to you.

rob love 03-07-16 18:17

The proper one is about 3-4" long if I recall correctly.

chris vickery 03-07-16 21:34

Just checked in the garage and found 2 NOS plugs in my collection of junk.
:thup2: