MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New view (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11029)

Keith Webb 22-01-12 11:20

When I think of working under the house in summer...

Two things go through my mind... redback spiders and brown snakes. Oh, and no quick escape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 159348)
The boys helped me replace six stumps under the lounge room and one under the front varandah today. The job is much easier with help than by yourself as I was when I did the bedroom. :cheers:

Mike Cecil 23-01-12 19:06

Hmmm, the heated floor idea reminds me of our neighbours driveway: yep, it's got underground heating coils. You can tell which house it is: it's always 'snowfree' and he's the only local not outside shovelling snow in the winter!!

Still, I do get to play in the snow on the sub-compact tractor where he doesn't.....

Mike C

Colbert is warm today....32.2F outside my office window!

Ian Pullen 24-01-12 02:18

Temperature.

Hey Mike. It's 32 degress here today too. Friday is supposed to be 37 degrees. Oh wait, your talking farenheit aren't you.......

hrpearce 24-01-12 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 159358)
Two things go through my mind... redback spiders and brown snakes. Oh, and no quick escape.

Keith you are starting to sound like those wimpy Canadians :fry: :devil:

Mike Cecil 24-01-12 03:40

Ian, yes, the joys of counting in nice even tens!! Not so anymore; had to dredge the memory banks to the 'premetric' era of my (very young) youth, and then adapt for some US deviations from Imperial, like those funny US Gallons! :bang:

But we deviate too much.....

A nice heated shed floor for winter and reverse cycle air con for summer would be magic in any climate! :thup2:

Mike C

hrpearce 25-01-12 11:11

2 Attachment(s)
More concreting after work today, will it ever end. :cheers:

hrpearce 31-01-12 22:09

5 Attachment(s)
I used my Christmas bonus this year to buy the rest of the lights for the BBQ area. I took advantage of a wet day to stay undercover and wire the lights.
four 10 wat LED spots light up a 6x6 metre area nicely. So with the four 12 Wat LED's up the other end we are lighting 6x12 metres with 88 wats. :cheers:

hrpearce 11-08-12 12:05

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished the last edge poor the next lot will come in a truck :cheers:

hrpearce 20-08-12 12:34

1 Attachment(s)
I brought a trailer load of concrete blocks home today and will pick up the last trailer load needed tomorrow. Vicki is hoping her tax refund this year will be enough for the two truckloads of concrete needed for the floor. :cheers:

hrpearce 21-08-12 12:25

2 Attachment(s)
Last trailer load of bricks have been stacked, I just have to fill them with concrete and reo bar. :cheers:

hrpearce 05-09-12 20:49

1 Attachment(s)
I've started to build a new shed for the workshop trailer, once it's finished I will be able to bring the blitz back home and start working on it again. :cheers:

Richard Farrant 05-09-12 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 170176)
I've started to build a new shed for the workshop trailer, once it's finished I will be able to bring the blitz back home and start working on it again. :cheers:

Hi Robert,
Good to see you progressing with the shed, it will make life easier for you once finished. Keep up the good work !

hrpearce 13-10-12 13:57

1 Attachment(s)
Finally the roof is on, now the blitz can come home :cheers:

Alex Blair (RIP) 13-10-12 19:38

Snow load..

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 171375)
Finally the roof is on, now the blitz can come home :cheers:

Bob...
Dandy shed..I see you engineered it for a pretty hefty snow load..
Well done.
:drunk: :sheep: :cheers: :kangaroo

Mike Cecil 13-10-12 22:42

Lang,

Nice shed .... steel framed, too: not a thing I was able to find in this part of the USA. The new 24 x 36 (FEET) 'shop' (it's what the locals call a shed) was purchased from 'Steel Structures of America' ... and it's framed in treated timber!! Only the cladding is steel.

Ahh, for a good Aussie steel framed shed.

Mike C

hrpearce 18-10-12 11:08

3 Attachment(s)
The wall is on the skillion, the workshop trailer is inside and the BLITZ is home.
I have two weeks to ajust the brakes before the rego check.
The shed posts are new but the rest is recycled. The timber is out of Mum's old house and the wall is an old water tank and the roof iron is off an old carpoart. :cheers:

hrpearce 24-10-12 12:47

5 Attachment(s)
The decking on the bridge in the paddock was getting dangerous so my brother in law set up his portable mill and fell six trees. I sniged the logs and used the front end loder to place them in the mill. We maimly cut 8x4s and a fiew 6x4s. I have delivered two trailer loads and the FEL was used to remove old deck and lay the new decking, one more trailer load needed to finish. The good news is we cut five too many. :cheers:

Keith Webb 24-10-12 13:14

Cutting

Nice work Robert, I love that sort of stuff. I once had a Granberg mill with a Stihl 076 and slabbed a lot of wood, but it was hard work. A portable mill is probably still a lot of work but a lot more productive.

Mike Kelly 24-10-12 14:36

termite fodder

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 171719)
The decking on the bridge in the paddock was getting dangerous so my brother in law set up his portable mill and fell six trees. I sniged the logs and used the front end loder to place them in the mill. We maimly cut 8x4s and a fiew 6x4s. I have delivered two trailer loads and the FEL was used to remove old deck and lay the new decking, one more trailer load needed to finish. The good news is we cut five too many. :cheers:

That's a neat job Robert .

Around here , untreated hardwood is termite fodder . Treated pine is the only way to go for anything near the ground . I've seen shed roofs collapse because of those pesky critters . Mike

hrpearce 24-10-12 19:39

Keith, I remember those slabbers and they were hard work and the cut was about three times as wide as the tungstan tiped blade in the mill. Although slower than a proper mill the timber is just as good and the latest model is much easier to ajust and use compares to the original.
Mike, the termites are becoming a problem here too and the only alternative for a bridge this long is steel.

Mike Kelly 25-10-12 09:03

timber

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 171733)
Keith, I remember those slabbers and they were hard work and the cut was about three times as wide as the tungstan tiped blade in the mill. Although slower than a proper mill the timber is just as good and the latest model is much easier to ajust and use compares to the original.
Mike, the termites are becoming a problem here too and the only alternative for a bridge this long is steel.

It might be worthwhile applying some sump oil onto those bridge timber planks , every 6 months . Keep the termites at bay .

A chap down the road here made a access bridge for his property by felling a huge tree and placing it across the creek , he owned a D8 dozer at the time. The shire placed a sign on the road stating that "use this bridge at your own risk , its not our fault if you fall " . They said nothing about the huge tree he felled ! figure that out

hrpearce 10-11-12 11:40

1 Attachment(s)
Mike I might give the sump oil a try.
Working on the BBQ area again we finally have enough in the bank for the concrete. We are coming to a dead line as Greg will be 18 in February so we need it finished.

hrpearce 01-12-12 11:09

1 Attachment(s)
A step further today, half the area is ready for mesh. :cheers:

hrpearce 28-12-12 12:08

4 Attachment(s)
At long last the floor has been poured and we used the BBQ area for boxing day lunch :cheers:

Keith Webb 28-12-12 12:14

Well done!

Love the blitz in the background!

hrpearce 28-12-12 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 173894)
Love the blitz in the background!

Photo taken at that angle to give the thread some relivance to MLU.
PS you will have to drop in for a BBQ :cheers:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 28-12-12 23:04

Slab

Hi Robert - I know how you feel about shed slabs. At our new place there is an 18x9m shed and I had a slab poured for that. It is beautiful, just like a ballroom and the beauty is that one can wheel anything around.

:thup2: Bob

hrpearce 08-06-13 09:41

2 Attachment(s)
Tony visited today to enjoy the view.
I learnt a couple of things today my sandblaster won't cut rubber off a rim and I need to get the twin cylinder compressor working again as there is to much down time with only the single cylinder compressor.
The soldered tag is that a ford thing?

Ganmain Tony 12-06-13 12:30

Thanks Robert

2 Attachment(s)
Great to visit on the weekend Robert. Perfect weather, good company, great BBQ.

Tank cleaned up nicely. I have since prepped it with De-ox it and undercoated it.

As Robert has asked - the brass tag braised onto the tank...any idea's as to why it was put there??

hrpearce 28-07-15 10:34

1 Attachment(s)
A slight change to the view again today :cheers: