MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jacking Bar (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21863)

super dave 26-03-14 00:32

Jacking Bar

2 Attachment(s)
I am looking to make a jacking bar for my carrier and borrowed one from a friend for the specifications so I can turn one down. Another friend I know also had one but it would not fit into the cross shaft as it was approximately .040 to large so he gave it to me to turn it down so that it would fit the tube. Here is the question, They are both different in size and overall length with one having a flat machined into it to fit the end of the jack better. Which one is for the Canadian carrier or were there two different ones made as it would be nice to know which one I should base the measurements from :confused

super dave 01-04-14 07:32

2 Attachment(s)
Well this has been an overwhelming response :(. I guess this tool is rarer that the track jack. I machined up one like the larger bar and if anyone out there would like to make up one here are the dimensions.

Lynn Eades 01-04-14 11:31

Dave, Are there any part numbers on them? I think the Australian carrier has a bigger hole in the cross tube. but not sure and have nothing with me over here, to be able to give you a positive answer. I think all the riveted carriers from the northern hemisphere, have the same size hole (also not sure :confused)
I have never seen one with a flat milled on it before (post military service?)
Sorry I can't be of more help.

John A. Rippingham 01-04-14 12:15

thanks

Thank you :note: for the drawing dave, will make my life a little easier :thup2:

horsa 01-04-14 16:17

The longer pattern you have is what we saw issued with the T-16 universal carriers. Odds are it is still functional with other carriers as well though. Rod Shaver in Arizona might still have them available.

super dave 02-04-14 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 193827)
Dave, Are there any part numbers on them? I think the Australian carrier has a bigger hole in the cross tube. but not sure and have nothing with me over here, to be able to give you a positive answer. I think all the riveted carriers from the northern hemisphere, have the same size hole (also not sure :confused)
I have never seen one with a flat milled on it before (post military service?)
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sorry no numbers that I could see. Oh well at least I now have one that I can use :)

super dave 02-04-14 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by John A. Rippingham (Post 193830)
Thank you :note: for the drawing dave, will make my life a little easier :thup2:

Glad I could help :thup2:

Michael R. 09-04-14 01:07

1 Attachment(s)
Have a look on the end bit Dave, the strike is fairly light.

super dave 10-04-14 06:48

Will do when I see my friends again as I returned the originals back to them.

rob love 02-07-14 00:32

I made one up to Dave's dimesnions today, but the small diameter end seems a little too long. It gets hung up inside the cross tube, and has to be pried out. Does someone have the overall lengths of the Canadian jacking bar, and especially the length of the small end?

super dave 02-07-14 06:48

I checked the one I made and it fits perfectly in the end of the tube without binding, Is there possibly a difference in your tube ID compared to mine ??

rob love 02-07-14 13:49

Mine binds in the same spot on both sides. It seems about 3/4 an inch too long, and wedges in quite solidly.

I did get one measurement from someone else. It matches yours almost perfectly with two exceptions. The small diameter is 1.632 (as opposed to 1.72 in your drawing) and it also has a much larger chamfer at the end.

I'll have to get a flashlight into the bore and see whats going on.

David Dunlop 02-07-14 22:59

Watch out for glowing eyes when you do, Rob!

David

Michael R. 03-02-19 18:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 197299)
Mine binds in the same spot on both sides. It seems about 3/4 an inch too long, and wedges in quite solidly.

I did get one measurement from someone else. It matches yours almost perfectly with two exceptions. The small diameter is 1.632 (as opposed to 1.72 in your drawing) and it also has a much larger chamfer at the end.

Questions regarding the dimensions of TL7477 resurfaced... the end lengths being observed to +- match what Dave provided. The smaller end diameter in millimeters on one original example is +- 41.65 ... similar to what Rob found.

Mike Gurr 10-02-19 19:51

1 Attachment(s)
Just to add to the mix I have two jacking bars. The green painted one has no id marks at all but fits the hole in the suspension on my No2 MK2* correctly. Both ends of this bar are the same diameter unlike most of the other bars in this thread. The bare steel bar does have a number stamped on the end but no letter prefix so not very helpful. The parallel end is too large to fit the suspension and the other end is tapered so not ideal as it can slip out of the suspension. If anyone knows what this one is for is it available.