MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mk1 bren carrier boxs (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25634)

kevin powles 25-04-16 22:07

Mk1 bren carrier boxs

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up two original bren mag boxes for the mk1 carrier. Never see these in original before, usually lost as they only have a strap holding them in.

kevin powles 25-04-16 22:12

1 Attachment(s)
Much lesson height than the smoke discharger box

Paul Dutton 25-04-16 22:48

I tried to get those off HMVF!! What you pay mate?

rob love 25-04-16 23:09

I found mine on the back of an old tractor at auction. I'll give Derk Derin credit.....I recognised it as a military box, it was Derk who recognised it as the ammunition bin. I didn't have to buy the tractor to get it...I merely had to deal with the guy who did buy the tractor. I guess when you pay $350 for a tractor and get $40 back for the little box under the seat, you are doing OK.

I quickly sandblasted it and brought it to the MVPA convention in Alabama to show John Bizal. We had had a bit of debate about how high these boxes were supposed to be. He had repros of a significantly higher box. On seeing mine (with part number) he borrowed it and made a new pattern of copies.

charlie fitton 25-04-16 23:12

Are we talking bren mags, or bulk ammo storage?

Jordan Baker 26-04-16 00:41

I believe this box held 5 bandoliers worth of ammunition. One of the equipment listings says it held 250 rounds. My understanding is that it was an earlier version of the "bail out bags" seen on the later carriers.

I tried fitting 5 full bandoliers and they fill the box rather well.

derk derin 26-04-16 03:46

Amazingly.......

Rob,
I remember that! Did I get anything that day? I usually don't get nuttin'
Derk

rob love 26-04-16 04:10

Well it looks like you got to steal my line. You also got a Ford MCP that day, along with a nice pair of Ford doors, although I'm not sure it ever left my yard.

Lynn Eades 26-04-16 07:35

Yep, designed to take 250 rounds, of loose .303" ammo.

So what are these used in apart from a proper Bren carrier (pre universal that is)?

derk derin 26-04-16 07:46

Oh yeah!

3 Attachment(s)
Now it's all coming back to me. I did get something that day. Alot of good parts on that truck for my Ford MCP dump truck that wound up in your yard in the end.Yes that parts truck was brought to your place and never left. Good thing too cause it saved bringing it to my place and then back to your place! Here's the good truck we picked up that day on the perimeter and hwy 59.

RichardT10829 26-04-16 08:42

Very nice find indeed !

Lynn Eades 26-04-16 11:05

In a multi model parts book, they were in Bren MkI, Bren MkII, and the MkI (MkI*) Universal carriers.

kevin powles 26-04-16 11:23

Gents, anyone got details of the strap used?, I've an original tray it sits in and the strap guide at the back of it is to narrow to take the standard 1/2" utility strap. The bandolier stowage makes sense as 250 rounds would rattle around in there.

Paul, I made an offer on them and the guide accepted, he was only to happy to sell when he knew they were going back in a carrier - history preserved !

RichardT10829 26-04-16 12:49

I wondered if the strap was leather perhaps ?

I don't have the box, but I have hundreds and hundreds of .303 :D

rob love 26-04-16 13:33

Brian Asbury had some original straps at one time....not sure if he still does. They were the usually 37 pattern webbing with a buckle and the brass tip.

Jordan Baker 26-04-16 14:46

I used a strap from a P37 map case. It fit perfectly and does a great job of securing the box.

Paul Dutton 26-04-16 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin powles (Post 223777)
Gents, anyone got details of the strap used?, I've an original tray it sits in and the strap guide at the back of it is to narrow to take the standard 1/2" utility strap. The bandolier stowage makes sense as 250 rounds would rattle around in there.

Paul, I made an offer on them and the guide accepted, he was only to happy to sell when he knew they were going back in a carrier - history preserved !

I messaged him and got no reply at all!!

Jim Burrill 26-04-16 19:35

The bottom of the angled tray has a strap "trap" underneath it. Measure the width of it and then the length by what it takes to wrap around the box in the tray and then add a couple of inches for "ease".

From memory, it is the same width as the Large Pack straps. I would cut and stitch 2 of those to give me the length and still have the factory brass tab and buckle already there.

Or, you can order the tan cotton webbing and salvage the tip and buckle from some dead bit of Mills webbing and use some brass eyelets to reset the tip.

Lynn Eades 26-04-16 20:52

Carrier straps were firstly leather and rubber, but soon became mostly webbing.
Some of the straps were very impractical. I think this is why active service carrier photos never seem to show tools on the board.

kevin powles 27-04-16 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 223791)
I used a strap from a P37 map case. It fit perfectly and does a great job of securing the box.

Gents, I like this map case strap idea, it will fit the metal retainer guide behind.

Does the famous looking down pic on a mk1 give anything away?, if someone has a clear picture.

derk derin 27-04-16 23:36

37 pattern large pack cross strap

If I remember correctly I used one of the 37 pattern large pack cross straps like Jim Burrill mentioned which are 3/4 inches wide (if I remember correctly) and slipped through the metal retaining tab at the back of the mounting plate.You wind up with both ends original and just take up the slack at the back and pin it,cut it and resew it together,staple or rivet,whatever works for you as you will never see the back of it. If I have time I will take pictures and see what I ended up doing to mine.Spring is here finally in Manitoba and it's time to pull the tarp off of the carrier anyway!
Cheers,Derk

charlie fitton 28-04-16 11:45

[QUOTE=Lynn Eades;carrier photos never seem to show tools on the board.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, as with the Kangaroos, the infantry kept stealing them..

Lynn Eades 28-04-16 11:58

Charlie, I have as new old stock, about 3 rubber straps with the part numbers.
They are for the pick handle. They are rubber with a canvas layer in the middle.
They bolt onto the channel shaped bracket, but if you try and thread them through the hole in the bracket, it is almost impossible to do.(with the handle in it) The same parts are used to locate the shovel.
Who ever designed and approved that set up, was working for the enemy.
This time, I couldn't blame the grunts (inf)

kosbie 28-04-16 20:00

sten gun slings are 3/4in, certainly fit John Bizal's repro trays and are cheap and plentiful (in the UK at least). If you cut to remove the barrel attachment hook they are plenty long enough and you are left with a buckle at the other end.
Kevin - if you need one I have several spare, ask me when you come over

Rick

Michael R. 28-04-16 21:25

The original British buckle and strap is identified in the Chilwell manual as 3/4" x 30".

kosbie 28-04-16 23:40

Sten slings are approx. 50 inches long, the right width, so as I say, would make a very passable strap