MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Poor mans armour (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29650)

karlos59 05-01-19 03:52

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for the comments. I would have liked to build a Replica German SdKfz 222/223 but I decided this would be too hard with the limited facilities I had plus I wanted to be as accurate as possible in regards to motor position front in a 64 and rear in a 222/223

Rob Cassin 05-01-19 16:37

Russian BA 64 Armoured Car

1 Attachment(s)
Too bad that someone could not rescue this one. I understand how important museums are but I don't get why they would rather keep a display and let it rot then sell/give it to an organization or person like you who can care and restore it. This one is in New York in bad shape.

karlos59 06-01-19 12:58

3 Attachment(s)
Jerrycan holders and spare wheel bracket made and welded on

karlos59 08-01-19 03:25

2 Attachment(s)
Door bins and equipment handles made up and welded to door. Transmission cover made up also

Tim Bell 08-01-19 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Cassin (Post 257067)
Too bad that someone could not rescue this one. I understand how important museums are but I don't get why they would rather keep a display and let it rot then sell/give it to an organization or person like you who can care and restore it. This one is in New York in bad shape.

Ironic it is at the "Museum of American Armor"

James P 10-01-19 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Cassin (Post 257067)

Hah that is a good one as the CWM has a couple vehicles that look like crap........but thats fine by them.

karlos59 10-01-19 10:44

4 Attachment(s)
Hood cut to size and test fitted. Welded tool holders on for Shovel Bar and Axe

karlos59 14-01-19 21:34

2 Attachment(s)
Hood handle bent and welded on, Drivers porthole doors laser cut and fitted

Tony Smith 16-01-19 01:52

1 Attachment(s)
You might want to get rid of those Suzuki wheels and find something more period looking, like some 1930's Ford wheels.

karlos59 16-01-19 07:00

Thanks Tony where is best place in OZ to find some like that and how much do they go for.

Tony Smith 16-01-19 10:59

Swap meet or early Ford club events. I'm not too familar with the Qld scene, but I wouldn't expect to find them at the major Qld military swap at Canungra, but more likely general Vintage vehicle gatherings like Toowoomba in Feb or Brisbane in May.

You find old car parts where you find them and pay what you agree to pay. Depending on condition, the wheels could be anywhere from $10 to $100. You might want to pay extra for a matching set of 4 or 5. Ask around and let people know you're looking. Keep an eye on Ebay, Gumtree and even the local tip recycling centre. Stuff shows up in the strangest places. Make sure you know how to tell the difference between 5 on 5 1/2 and 5 on 4 1/2 stud patterns.

Dave Newcomb 17-01-19 06:58

wheels

Hi; There are modern reproduction wheels available like those illustrated from some California companies. With radial safety beads and a variety of lug bolt patterns. Street Rodders are using them.. Vintiques and Wheel Smith I believe
Search out the Street Rodders magazines or goggle search. Newc

karlos59 18-01-19 21:50

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for suggestions guys. Did some internal work setting up firewall and gearbox cover

karlos59 23-01-19 10:25

2 Attachment(s)
Did a test fit of the Turret and put PVC pipe in for effect

karlos59 26-01-19 04:38

2 Attachment(s)
Made up and fitted Dash with Original to compare

karlos59 26-01-19 14:21

2 Attachment(s)
Worked out steering column and steering wheel placement

karlos59 28-01-19 13:46

3 Attachment(s)
Welds cleaned up and rust removed before priming. Exhaust worked out and muffler brackets made and muffler fitted. Door locking mechanism made and fitted.

karlos59 28-01-19 14:06

2 Attachment(s)
Turret was primed and canvas cover made up by a mate

karlos59 31-01-19 11:50

4 Attachment(s)
Worked out and made seat set up for the turret before fitting it. Fitted internal storage racks and painted interior. Layout is for a vehicle captured and put into German use

James P 31-01-19 14:33

Nice to see this cool project getting paint on it that will really make it pop. I suggest (and this is ONLY a suggestion) is once you have it driving give it a run through some mud and start giving it that 'lived in" look. I would also take it out and shoot some rounds at it at different spots and angles, you may want to do some test shots at plate so you do not go through the vehicle panels. That would certainly give it a "back in the day" look .

karlos59 31-01-19 14:51

Thanks for the positive feedback slowly getting there

karlos59 05-02-19 13:29

3 Attachment(s)
Big day has arrived, time to paint. A green was picked out close to the Russian color and done over two days.Doors hood turret grille screen door port hole covers hinges and all other bits and pieces done on first day. Then vehicle was done the next day

karlos59 08-02-19 08:28

3 Attachment(s)
Doors, drivers screen door, hood and observation porthole covers put back on. Turret fitted and exhaust system completed. Muffler still needs painting. Balkenkruezs painted on upper body

David Dunlop 08-02-19 14:03

Looking very nice.

One thought, If any photos have been found of a captured vehicle, it would be interesting to see how, and how well, the Germans painted out the original Russian markings, and then duplicate that look on your vehicle.

My guess would be a hand painted process, probably with the best available mismatched paint colour the Germans had on hand at the time they took over ownership. That would add a lot to the 'field use look' of the vehicle.

This is an interesting project to follow. Keep up the good work. Looks like you are getting close to 'Vroom, vroom! time now.

David

James P 08-02-19 18:52

^ I agree, stencil on the Red Army markings in a thick paint, then over paint that in dunkel gelb , brush or spray, with spray being the better of the two options so the RA markings are visible, but just. Then apply the wehrmacht markings and cross. But that is JUST a suggestion its your project and it looks great what you have done so far.

Dave Newcomb 09-02-19 05:51

A Possible kit or Prints sale???

I can see a whole convoy of these guys on the road. In my Ferret we used motorcycle head phones and mics for communications within the crew.. helped in traffic. Newc

karlos59 10-02-19 04:58

Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions. A few people over here said the same thing about painting over a Russian star. I didn't even think about it. Will look into it if I change the paint scheme in the future

karlos59 05-03-19 14:19

Inside update

3 Attachment(s)
Made up grenade rack and was fitted before painting inside. Grenades stowed in racks. Fuel tank made up fitted in place.

karlos59 05-03-19 14:24

Outside work

3 Attachment(s)
Pintle hitch bought painted and fitted. Muffler removed and painted with heat proof paint

jdmcm 05-03-19 16:56

That project is turning out awesome, I have to say you have done an absolutely fantastic job!

John