MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Victorian Bushfires (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7564)

Ian Pullen 07-12-06 12:47

Victorian Bushfires

For those of you in the Northern part of the world preparing for a white Christmas, we here in the wide brown land are facing possibly the worst bushfire season in recorded history. The great fires of five years ago that ravaged parts of the eastern states and even crossed in to the suburbs of the country's capital, Canberra, are still a vivid memory to most of us. We were even warned for evacuation here at Bandiana.
At last count today, there were 248 bushfires in Victoria alone. Inthe last three days they have burnt an area equivalent to the last major fires in their first nine days.
The worst case scenario is that the fire fronts will converge and virtually cause one huge blaze.
With strong winds, storms and little chance of rain forecast for the weekend, I think we are in for a rather suspensful week.
Wish us all luck...............

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 07-12-06 13:32

Ian, you have my (and our) best wishes, trust me on this one.

Keith Webb 07-12-06 19:57

Fires

This may only be the beginning.

We've had so little rain lately and the humidity levels are extremely low - all we need is a hot day (Sat is forecast to be 37) with strong winds and we're in real trouble. Even the dams relied on by firefighters are dry so vast areas just cannot be defended.

Our fire season runs until early March.

A mate of mine in Northern Victoria has been using his bulldozers to make firebreaks and has already lost one machine to fire.

Max Hedges 07-12-06 20:06

smoke

plenty of smoke around here this morining blown up from Victoria, no fires close by here.
Max

Max Hedges 07-12-06 21:18

fires

Ian, with all those fires going you better be careful that the yowies don't move into town to escape the fires, you may need a yowie rescue team

Keith Webb 07-12-06 21:26

Never mind the Yowies, what about the drop bears...

1 Attachment(s)
Thank Goodness there's a team of CMP drop bear rescue ambulances standing by.

Phil Waterman 08-12-06 00:21

What's a yowies

Could you translate for people who live a might north of you.

Neat display, interesting how something like that will really catch people’s attention at a show, the kids love it.

Richard Farrant 08-12-06 00:38

Re: What's a yowies

Quote:

Originally posted by Phil Waterman
interesting how something like that will really catch people’s attention at a show, the kids love it.
Yeah..... especially when they start rooting :D

Mike Kelly 08-12-06 11:50

Fires

For fire updates :

www.dse.vic.gov.au

www.cfa.vic.gov.au

Lets hope that many old relics like Blitzs will not be lost in the fires . There would be many old sawmills in the N.E. part of Victoria , with derelict CMP's nearby .

Mike

Vets Dottir 08-12-06 17:38

Karmen is seriously praying for heavy rains for that corner of the world for you folks, but just enough to douse the fires and replenish the earth and growing things!!!

:cheers:

Keith Webb 10-12-06 09:43

Fires still going

And we've just had the hottest day for this time of the year on record. It was 42C in Melbourne before a cool Southerly buster arrived dropping the temperature by 20C which was quite a relief. Tomorrow there's some rain forecast but it's been so long since we've seen any I'll believe it when I see it.
Hopefully it will bring some rest for the firefighters too. Victoria has been blanketed in smoke the whole weekend.

Keith Webb 10-12-06 09:48

Bushfire map

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the current map as at Sunday evening:

Keith Webb 10-12-06 11:28

Sat view

This is from Saturday once the smoke cleared from Melbourne which is at the head of the bay on the left.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...y__325x400.jpg

That's Tasmania at the bottom.

Source

Tony Smith 10-12-06 11:49

Keith, the state's ablaze and yet you still have the bare-faced cheek to go out taking Aerial Photos!! :D

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 10-12-06 17:50

LMAO!

Gee I was flying high that day... :eek:

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony Smith
Keith, the state's ablaze and yet you still have the bare-faced cheek to go out taking Aerial Photos!! :D

Tony, understand that what you're seeing is a direct link to the database in Keefy's "brain" as he recharges his batteries back in orbit.

The Truth is out there.