MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   what is the weight of a carrier wheel (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13604)

RichardT10829 14-10-09 17:05

what is the weight of a carrier wheel

anyone able to give me the weight of a carrier wheel, mine are still on the hull so cant weigh them :(

Eric Korhonen 14-10-09 19:58

Carrier wheel

I just went and weighed a wheel that I had , it was 48 pounds.

Eric

alleramilitaria 14-10-09 20:09

also depends if the bearings and seals are there, that can add lots

Eric Korhonen 15-10-09 00:26

The wheel i weighed did have the bearings in it.

Philliphastings 15-10-09 08:16

Idlers lighter

The idlers should be a shade lighter than the roadwheels as the book states they are smaller in diameter

Cheers

Phill

RichardT10829 15-10-09 10:15

cheers guys, they are complete with bearings so thats is great, the ctl 17s are 1 inch smaller (the idler wheel) the CTL 94's are 20" diameter i beleive.

cheers for that guys

Rich

Lynn Eades 15-10-09 14:05

wheel sizes

Yes, they are different, but its in the thickness of the rubber, and I think there is more than one size for the idler.

Philliphastings 16-10-09 06:41

Steel idlers?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there an all steel idler specified for the universal carriers as well ?

The diameter difference may also help explain the replacement of my road wheels in service with modified Local Pattern wheels while still retaining the original british rubber shod idlers.

I have found the (very scant) remains of a second british carrier - well actually only a few loose parts, which also had the retrofit and modified Australian Pattern roadwheels so I should be able to cobble together a just passable set until I find the originals...

Cheers

Phill

RichardT10829 16-10-09 10:28

how many road wheels do you need ?

Philliphastings 16-10-09 17:19

A set

Hello Richard,

to make the machine original I would still need six roadwheels with good rubber.

Cheers
Phill

Lynn Eades 16-10-09 22:52

All steel idlers

Philip, I think you will find that the all steel idlers were for the LP2/2a. I dont believe there was any sort of rubber shortage, when the Scout was being built.

RichardT10829 17-10-09 11:17

i reckon that will be as the carrier has been used Down under they have changed the road wheels etc to perhaps accomodate aussie type track ? if there is any difference in the wheel widths of course...

i may be getting my hands on some CTL 94's in the near future but the postage to you would be a kller

Philliphastings 18-10-09 12:36

A killer allright -

Hi Richard.
Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider importing such heavy items BUT if I'm serious about this quirky little vehicle then it should be done properly with the parts where possible.

Please keep me informed. Greater obstacles have been overcome in this game !

Cheers

Phill

RichardT10829 18-10-09 15:58

of course matey any way i can help, i will continue to keep my eyes peeled for anymore too would hate to think they got melted down when our lot could be using them as they should be used :)

Phil, whilst i have got you, could you possibly measure up your ront armour and side peices so i can pop them onto dxf's i want to check them against the universal front armour, plus it means we have a set for a scout carrier should anyone find an armourless one we can have the measurements on file for them....... just thinking for the greater good and all that.....

Philliphastings 20-10-09 10:35

Can do...

Hello Richard, if you can wait a couple of days I will get the measurements for you.

Cheers

Phill