MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CMP Ingersoll Rand compressor (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8755)

chris vickery 18-05-06 01:18

CMP air compressor

Would there be any interest in an original CMP air compressor? I have my hooks on one and don't want to pass on it especially if we have an interested party on the MLU.

Neil Ashley 18-05-06 08:47

Chris

If you are talking about the gear box mounted type I believe Dirk has them.

I want one for my C15TA but its obviously a lot cheaper to pick one up from Beltring than pay the post from Canada.

chris vickery 18-05-06 13:05

I am speaking of the trailer mounted Ingersoll-Rand type used for jackhammers etc

chris vickery 25-05-07 13:48

CMP Ingersoll Rand compressor

Recently aquired, a cmp style air compressor, trailer mounted, made by Ingersoll-Rand.

This unit is in excellent shape and will make an interesting winter project.

Any info or photos of this unit in service would be appreciated.
I could really use the manuals etc that go with it...

Bob Carriere 25-05-07 16:19

Lucky you.....

.....now you canblow a lot of hot air..... you should consider moving closer to the parliament in Ottawa.

any pictures yet of as found???? what engine is inside...???

Bob C.

Grant Bowker 25-05-07 17:28

Is that the one you "have my hooks on" according to a post a year ago? If so, congratulations on your persistence tracking it down.
Have you looked at the thread http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ght=compressor
in which Mike Kelly mentions having a manual for a WW2 compressor? (I don't think it's exactly the same model as typical Canadian production, but might provide guidance)

Mike Kelly 26-05-07 13:00

Still here

I still have it here , the compresser that is . I do have some manuals for it too . The problem is the exhaust valve seats in the Waukesha block are stuffed , they need replacing . A guy in town here has two of the compressers , same as mine . A lot of shires and Govt. authorities used them post WW2, Vic railways and SEC etc. . Some of them had a Ford V8 fitted instead of the Waukesha 4 cyl.

The air tank on mine was last tested in 1971 , I am rather dubious about its safety state . I have heaps of new manifold gaskets for the Waukesha , they came with it .

Its quite a neat machine , with safety valves everywhere and a unloading system that disables the compession mode once a pre determined PSI is reached . It has a clutch too , you can disengage the motor . Also has a bosch magneto and a governer .

Mike

rob love 26-05-07 13:58

On mine, the unloader will occasionally stick (usually during it's first use of the season). Pressure will build up a bit more (no more than 130 psi or so) before the engine lugs and stalls. A shot of grease into the unloader does the trick.

Other than drinking gas like a humvee, and weighing about the same as the titanic, I have no complaints with mine.

Phil Waterman 26-05-07 16:07

How about a picture

How about a picture of the criter. I just came across a IR compressor the other day old compressor mounted on a modern military trailer.

Cheers

Paul Singleton 26-05-07 19:26

Quote:

Other than drinking gas like a humvee, and weighing about the same as the titanic, I have no complaints with mine.
I know about the fuel consumption! A friend borrowed an old IR compressor to run a drill to bore fence post holes on his farm. It was an early 1950's unit with a six cylinder flathead Chrysler industrial engine with a clutch. It had an air tank on each side mounted down low and some of the body panels were made of fiberglass. The compressor worked flawlessly and after the job was done he found he could have rented a new diesel compressor for the cost of the fuel he used!
:eek:

Paul

rob love 27-05-07 05:36

Mine goes through a 20 liter jerrycan for about 3 hours of run time. But since I get the sand for free (Sand is to Shilo what snow is to eskimos) my sandblasting ends up running about $8 an hour. Not bad all in all.

chris vickery 27-05-07 16:46

Rob, one thing I did notice is the mag and handcrank ordeal... How scary is it to fire this old girl up???
I used to have a welder that was crank start and overall it wasn't too bad but it was a little 4cyl engine (Continental) and not a big behemouth like this Waukasha....

rob love 28-05-07 01:09

After almost snapping my arm a couple times handcranking that old Ford KL, I swore I would never handcrank another engine again, uless it has a pull cord. The starter on my compressor works (12 Volt) and I will keep it that way. I see pipe wrench marks on the compressor hand crank shaft, but other than turning the engine over during installation, I have never used it to start it.

One thing I would reccomend you get on yours is a clapper for the exhaust. Mine didn't have this before I bought it, and the engine had some internal rust damage. Nice thing with those big 18mm sparkplug holes is you can almost crawl into the cylinders to see what is going on in them.

Mike Kelly 28-05-07 12:38

Hand crank

I was worried about the thought of hand cranking too . But I read in the manual that the Bosch magneto used on the compressor has an inbuilt anti kick back device . Its called IMPULSE COUPLING . The initial spark is delayed until TDC has passed . A few old hand started aircraft have a similar thing . I think a starter motor is the sensible way to do it .

One thing I was told about the XAH Waukesha in the compressor is , the exhaust is a straight out vertical tube with a 6" section squeezed down to create some back pressure , without any back pressure they burn out exhaust valves in quick time .

Mike