MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier hinges (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19833)

Ben 18-02-13 20:41

Carrier hinges

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

I've made some patterns to cast some hinges for carriers (see for sale section if interested). Whilst I was doing it I discovered that a few share some uses and have evolved from the early carriers through to the later types. shown below are some photos that I hope will illustrate the uses.

Photo one shows all the hinges as separate components listed A to F.

A+B are the larger hinges used on the front folding armour and the flap on the later MK2 style hinging section gunners slot I believe

D+E are two sections of equal size used on the Scout & AOP MK1 rear right folding armour and the central hinge on the Bren LH sloped rear armour. Possibly the same as the LP1 too.

D+C are the lower hinge on the Bren LH sloped rear armour, C has a 90 degree section. possibly LP1 too.

E+F are for the battery box lid. F is a slightly longer version of D that allows for the way it fits on the lid.

It wasn't until I started to make all the hinge sections that I understood the compatibility between sections and the carry over use from the early carriers into the later types. It makes sense when you think about it to use the existing patterns from the Bren and Scout carriers in the MK1 Universals and later carriers that replaced them.

Ben

George McKenzie 19-02-13 19:38

Hinges

Some look like they would fit the Halftracks .what material did you use to make them ? eg: cast

Ben 19-02-13 19:42

Hi George

All cast in steel

Ben

Marc van Aalderen 24-02-13 22:40

Hi Ben,

Email with wanted list sent. Thank you. :thup:

Cheers,

Ben 28-06-13 21:03

1 Attachment(s)
I collected the castings from the foundry today, they look very nice and fit together well. I've offered them up to an original hinge half and they fit that too. Might make life a little easier if you don't need to replace a complete hinge.

Sample picture below.

I'm working for the next 6 days but will endeavour to sort them and get them out ASAP.

The pintles will be a little longer as they made a mistake during the pour and I've asked for them to be remade, fingers crossed I'll have them for W&P.

Ben

RichardT10829 28-06-13 21:10

Ben, drop me an email with your current address matey so I can get a cheque out to you for the other stuff :-)

RichCam 02-07-13 19:31

Hinge Casting for Canada

Ben,

I sent you a deposit for a hinge. When you get everything sorted out, let me know how much more I owe you. Cheers!

Richard

Ben 02-07-13 20:04

I've just sorted the haul of castings this evening after work. There are a couple of items I'm not happy with and need remaking but 95% is good. I'll box them all up and be in touch in the next couple of days to finalise shipping.

Ben