MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CS8 Bowser (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28113)

Mike Kelly 01-11-17 02:51

CS8 Bowser

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have pics or info: CS8 200 gallon bowser ?

Jordan Baker 01-11-17 04:32

2 Attachment(s)
Have the following two pictures from the water tank truck manual.

Mike Kelly 01-11-17 08:42

reprint

Jordan, thanks . I see that's a Canadian reprint. Interesting .

Do you have the complete manual ?

Jordan Baker 01-11-17 14:21

Yes I have the complete manual.

Owen Evans 12-04-18 18:58

CS8 Water Bowser

3 Attachment(s)
Some factory photos of the CS8 200 gallon bowser. The second photo looks like it's mounted backwards (no tank rear locker?) into the back of a GS body?

Owen.

David Herbert 12-04-18 23:28

I would suspect that the above are prototypes and may be significantly different from production ones.

David

simon king 13-04-18 00:31

I’d say that the last photo is of the production version as it looks to be the same as the early oval water tank fitted to aeroscreen Bedford MWs

Mike Kelly 13-04-18 02:24

middle

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon king (Post 249530)
I’d say that the last photo is of the production version as it looks to be the same as the early oval water tank fitted to aeroscreen Bedford MWs

The middle pic looks to be a ad hoc setup. But who knows ?

What is interesting is the very dark colour the vehicles appear to be painted.

I did buy the original CS8 water tank , cost me a small fortune but it will make a unusual truck when its all together.

Owen Evans 13-04-18 07:28

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 249532)
What is interesting is the very dark colour the vehicles appear to be painted.

They look gloss to me, so probably pre-war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 249532)
I did buy the original CS8 water tank , cost me a small fortune but it will make a unusual truck when its all together.

Was that the one for sale through Gumtree Australia? If so, is it possible to post a picture of the rear locker with both doors open? The locker internals are missing on mine. :(

Agree it makes an unusual truck. My C15 should look like the attached photos, eventually.

Owen.

David Herbert 13-04-18 09:44

Last photo in post #5 look to be printed back to front. Compare with the seccond photo in post #9 which I think is correct.

David

Richard Farrant 13-04-18 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Herbert (Post 249543)
Last photo in post #5 look to be printed back to front. Compare with the seccond photo in post #9 which I think is correct.

David

David,
I can see why you think that but the photo also shows the single rear and brake lamps on the right which would be correct for the Morris. :confused

Richard

Tony Smith 13-04-18 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Farrant (Post 249544)
David,
I can see why you think that but the photo also shows the single rear and brake lamps on the right which would be correct for the Morris. :confused

Richard

And the number on the door is right way around, not mirrored. And RHD!

David Herbert 13-04-18 15:32

Tony, I am talking about the one in post #5 being back to front. You can't see the side of that vehicle at all. The entire interior of the rear locker is a mirror image of the one in post #9 though as Richard pointed out there are what could be tail and stop lights to the right of the blank number plate if that is what that is. There is no rear bumper either. I think it is a photo of a prototype printed in reverse.

David

Tim Bell 13-04-18 17:00

My neighbor may have that water tank on his land... I will see if I can get a look over the next few weeks... certainly there is something very similar in the middle of his bramble patch.

Tim

pauldavies 16-04-18 23:54

1 Attachment(s)
A photo of my C8 from a while ago and I do know where the tank is unless it's been sold.
Paul

Alex van de Wetering 17-04-18 17:11

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Last photo in post #5 look to be printed back to front
That was exactly what I though at first....but if you compare the pic of post #5 with the picture of the manual that Jordan posted, you will note that it does indeed have the bins on the left and the hose to the right, so the picture is not printed back to front.

@ Mike. Were the CS8's always fitted with that full oval water tank? Not the oval tank with flat sides as fitted to later Bedford MWC's?

I spotted a MWC water tank in a farmers field in Western Belgium a few years ago.

Alex

Guy Verstrepen 17-04-18 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 249701)
That was exactly what I though at first....but if you compare the pic of post #5 with the picture of the manual that Jordan posted, you will note that it does indeed have the bins on the left and the hose to the right, so the picture is not printed back to front.

@ Mike. Were the CS8's always fitted with that full oval water tank? Not the oval tank with flat sides as fitted to later Bedford MWC's?

I spotted a MWC water tank in a farmers field in Western Belgium a few years ago.

Alex

Here in Belgium you can come across the MCW water tank several times in the fields.

unfortunately they are completely stripped of the pumps and filters.

sometimes you also encounter the waterbowser trailers.

Mike Kelly 18-04-18 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies (Post 249685)
A photo of my C8 from a while ago and I do know where the tank is unless it's been sold.
Paul

Paul

That tank pictured on your C8 is sitting in my yard right now !

These tanks turn up in the UK now and then for sale, not a particularly rare item in Europe but as others have noted, the fittings are usually missing. I have only seen the flat sided tanks on the MWC's . There ARE a number of MWC's listed in the ARN register books but the only example I have seen ( AWM film ) is with the Australians in the SWPA is a MWC issued to a searchlight unit in Pt. Moresby . Never heard of any MWC survivors in Australia . Where did they all go to ?

Owen Evans 18-04-18 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 249714)

I have only seen the flat sided tanks on the MWC's.

I've seen them with oval tanks, but only on the early MWC (open cab with flyscreens). There is (or was) one at RAF Duxford though:

http://www.maquetland.com/article-ph...-bowser-hendon

Not sure if that tank is original to that truck though. Maybe the oval vs. flat sided tanks were an 'early' vs. 'late' thing? :confused The earliest flat sided tank I've spotted was dated 1941 on the instruction plate.

The oval tank was also fitted to the Guy Ant, but I believe they were solely for 'commercial government' use in Britain, not military.

Owen.

pauldavies 18-04-18 10:48

Hi Mike and well done for purchasing the tank, it was there when I went to pick up a load of C8 spare bits in Inverell. Couldn't make my mind up when I saw it on Gumtree, I believe it was on the other C8 used to finish restoring the one I have, good luck with the resto.
I had a question for you regarding a 3/8 tube on the top of my transfer case which was pushing oil out, couldn't see it in the manual any idea?
I put a pressure valve on it so it doesn't let oil out now.
Paul

Mike Kelly 19-04-18 03:39

tube

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies (Post 249729)
Hi Mike and well done for purchasing the tank, it was there when I went to pick up a load of C8 spare bits in Inverell. Couldn't make my mind up when I saw it on Gumtree, I believe it was on the other C8 used to finish restoring the one I have, good luck with the resto.
I had a question for you regarding a 3/8 tube on the top of my transfer case which was pushing oil out, couldn't see it in the manual any idea?
Paul

Paul

I don't have any experience working on the 4X4 models. Have you seen the facebook Morris Commercial C8 and GS quad page ?

Owen Evans 31-05-18 16:16

CS8 Portee?

1 Attachment(s)
Water bowser fitted to a CS8 Portee (I think) on the Giza Plateau.

I wondered where all the white 2 Gallon cans went! :eek:

Owen.

Mike Kelly 01-06-18 03:19

field mod

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Evans (Post 250746)
Water bowser fitted to a CS8 Portee (I think) on the Giza Plateau.

I wondered where all the white 2 Gallon cans went! :eek:

Owen.

Interesting field mod ! looks like a C8 4x4 with the field rigged tank, a case of improvisation

Dave Newcomb 01-06-18 06:31

Hi; Off subject sort of... My dad was a water supply officer thru WW2... he related that they were a Priority 1 target for the Germans, especially in N Africa. Newc

David Dunlop 01-06-18 07:11

Are there two bowsers fitted to that vehicle? Almost looks like a second parallel and inboard to the one at the rear.

David

T Creighton 01-06-18 23:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldavies (Post 249729)
Paul

Hi Paul, Your Morris looks good.
The transfer case has an expansion tank (similar to a CMP radiator) hooked up to that tube. 3" dia x 4" high.
I was lucky to find one. Time will tell if it works.

All the best, Terry.

Mike Kelly 02-06-18 02:06

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 250756)
Are there two bowsers fitted to that vehicle? Almost looks like a second parallel and inboard to the one at the rear.

David

Yes, well spotted sir

pauldavies 05-06-18 00:07

Thanks Terry you are spot on with that, will have a look around for an expansion tank. Pressure relief valve will keep the oil in for now. Having a new thermostat housing forged at the moment will keep you informed.
Paul

pauldavies 08-06-18 06:31

1 Attachment(s)
Just a photo of my pressure relief valve, have them on the Austin Champs at all the laberynth seals lets the pressure out keeps the oil in. It might the wrong way round sound turn your heads.
Paul

Owen Evans 14-12-18 17:24

5 Attachment(s)
Had a reasonably fruitful week, courtesy of the much-maligned Ebay. Item 1 is the small 'locker drawer' from the rear locker of the british 200 gallon water bowser; I believe the Canadian bowser had a similar unit? You can see the wood is rebated for a drawer to slide in and out.

Item 2 is the inner strainer off the end of the suction hoses. And 1940 dated too!

If anyone wants more pictures or dimensions, give me a shout.;)

Owen.