MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hot engine starting (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6180)

Barry Read 09-05-06 23:06

Hot engine starting

OK this is the question?.

6V carrier, Ford V8, will not start when hot.

Yes its that old V8 problem,
but whats the best answer.

I've been told give it half trottle when trying to start.
Never pump the trottle
No choke.

You guys in hot Aus must have an answer.

Barry i(in a hot London)

Jordan Baker 09-05-06 23:35

Poor a little room temp water on the mechanical fuel pump. SHould help almost immediatley.

Phil Waterman 10-05-06 00:30

Have you determined the cause?

Playing with old flat heads a number of thoughts occure as to what is causing the poor hot start.

There has been some discussion on this in past take a look at
http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ght=vapor+lock

and

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ght=vapor+lock

Lots of good comments

Cheers

G166UC 10-05-06 00:56

Hot starting V8

Barry,
I have found with my T-16 here in WARM Arizona, that I need to hold my accellerator pedal down all the way, not half throttle, and it starts after just a few turns of the motor. Works every time for me. Rod

Alex Blair (RIP) 10-05-06 02:05

Re: Hot starting V8

Quote:

Originally posted by G166UC
Barry,
I have found with my T-16 here in WARM Arizona, that I need to hold my accellerator pedal down all the way, not half throttle, and it starts after just a few turns of the motor. Works every time for me. Rod

Rod
I agree with you...
Right to the floor..don't pump...you are flooded...Holding it to the floor opens up the carb to straight air mix which leans out the starting combustion fuel/air ratio...
Very much like natural gas fuel air combustion ratios..
Between 7%-14% gas to air ratio for ignition...
Ahhhhh...my old flat head school days....
Vapour locking at the fuel pump will only occur when ambient air around fuel pump is excessive..
This flooding situation will happen anytime,even at -10F,as long as the engine is hot....
Jordan...don't pour water on your fuel pump when it is cold out...pour whiskey in the owner....

BIG MIKE 10-05-06 06:03

Gee Alex I never new you had a "FLATHEAD" lol Sorry to hear it mate:)

BIG MIKEk

Lynn Eades 10-05-06 06:25

Flooding

If its flooding itself then firstly check your needle valve and then the float level.
if the float level is too high it will flood real easy.

BIG MIKE 10-05-06 08:45

Lynn what in the heck you talking bout man?? How does the Floaty Have to do with the Heat coming from the pump??? I think you better Skip instead of Jumping LOL BIG MIKE

Barry Read 11-05-06 22:14

Thanks

Thanks for advise.
Are LP carriers 12v or 6v like English and Canadian carriers

Lynn Eades 11-05-06 23:14

Aust. LP2s and LP2as were originally 6 volt. Nearly all vehicles of that era were 6 volt.
Larger vehicles and radio equiped vehicles were generally 12 volt.

BIG MIKE 12-05-06 05:08

I thought this Thread was on "Over heating" not Flooding???? are they both intertiwned into one thing? please explain.

BIG MIKE

Lynn Eades 12-05-06 07:48

Big Mike

You appear to be the first person in this thread to mention "over heating" Ford v8's are real prone to flooding when hot.
Vapour lock is separate problem. When you have a column of petrol sitting between the fuel pump valve and the needle valve, and its hot in the engine bay, the fuel tries to expand.
If the needle valve wont hold it, or the float level is a bit on the high side, then petrol piddles down into the manifold, and floods the engine.
I believe Barry is trying to find out how best to clear it. or to get it started from an "engine flooded" situation.

Alex Blair (RIP) 12-05-06 13:50

Re: Big Mike

Quote:

Originally posted by Lynn Eades
You appear to be the first person in this thread to mention "over heating" Ford v8's are real prone to flooding when hot.
Lynn
I separated the two problems on my first posting..

Vapour locking at the fuel pump will only occur when ambient air around fuel pump is excessive..
This flooding situation will happen anytime,even at -10F,as long as the engine is hot....
Jordan...don't pour water on your fuel pump when it is cold out...pour whiskey in the owner....

Lynn Eades 13-05-06 05:51

Alex, Alcohol in the veins increases the risk of hypothermia (although i'm sure it does dull the bite of the cold). (Brain fade)

Alex Blair (RIP) 13-05-06 12:20

Brain Fade...

Quote:

Originally posted by Lynn Eades
Alex, Alcohol in the veins increases the risk of hypothermia (although i'm sure it does dull the bite of the cold). (Brain fade)
Lynn...
Happens..(HIC!!...) to the best of..(HIC.!!) us..... :drunk:

BIG MIKE 13-05-06 12:34

I like Alex's Idea Of Whisky in the Owner, But Whisky makes BIG MIKE's tummy all Fuddy Duddy, So i'll stick to the Scotch , or a nice cool Gin & tonic , YUMMMM

BIG MIKE

BIG MIKE 13-05-06 12:41

Geez I nearly fergot , I need a Manual Alex for a US mine detector (AN/PRS-1) its ww2 1944 dated and its not the Hotplate kind , it has the metal feelers or sensors , like a upside down antenna or something . power board is good new fuses and tubes , just need power source in battry type, all metal, wires, recieveing set up and bakelite parts all good, Anywho , What say ye?

Cheers BIG MIKEY

Alex Blair (RIP) 13-05-06 18:25

Mine detecting...

Quote:

Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Geez I nearly fergot , I need a Manual Alex for a US mine detector (AN/PRS-1) its ww2 1944 dated and its not the Hotplate kind , it has the metal feelers or sensors , like a upside down antenna or something . power board is good new fuses and tubes , just need power source in battry type, all metal, wires, recieveing set up and bakelite parts all good, Anywho , What say ye?

Cheers BIG MIKEY

Hi Big Mike..Sorry I haven't got such a manual..