MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mk1 carrier bren ammo box and smoke discharger box (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21664)

kevin powles 15-02-14 10:24

Mk1 carrier bren ammo box and smoke discharger box

1 Attachment(s)
Gents, Does anyone know off the top of there head if the two boxes are physically the same except for the catch arrangements on the front?, just noted the number of rivets in the hinge is different.

Kevin.

kevin powles 15-02-14 10:34

Box bren ammo

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the bren ammo box :

Anyone have the same problem when posting images from an I-phone, you can only post one picture per thread response?.

Kevin.

rob love 15-02-14 11:30

I will check in the shop later today, but I do not believe they are the same dimensions. Certainly the smoke discharger box is a lot higher. I am almost certain the smoke box is also thicker, while the Bren box may be wider.

Are the photos you show the copies from Midwest Military? John's copies are quite good, but his hinges are not the correct spacing of the original boxes.

kevin powles 15-02-14 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 191797)
I will check in the shop later today, but I do not believe they are the same dimensions. Certainly the smoke discharger box is a lot higher. I am almost certain the smoke box is also thicker, while the Bren box may be wider.

Are the photos you show the copies from Midwest Military? John's copies are quite good, but his hinges are not the correct spacing of the original boxes.

Hi Rob, Yes photos from Midwest, I have one of his smoke discharger boxes but am looking for the Bren ammo box, this will be the last box I need for my MK1

Kevin.

rob love 15-02-14 11:49

John used a Bren ammo box for the pattern that I found at a local auction. It had become a tool box on the back of a tractor.

John and I had a debate a few years prior as to the authenticity of the higher bren ammo box he had been making, so when he saw mine, he immediately asked to borrow it and re-designed the copies.

There may have been a revision for the higher box, but as anyone who has been in the back of a carrier can tell you, it is already overcrowded back there. The higher box leaning into the walking/kneeling area makes it worse.

Jordan Baker 15-02-14 17:43

The smoke discharged box is much higher then the Bren ammo one.

I have one of each from Midwest and yes the original run of Bren ones are higher then the originals I've seen.

kevin powles 15-02-14 18:22

Robe, Do you have some
Pics of the bren ammo box, dimensions etc, also what's the correct hinge spacing on each box?.

Regards Kevin.

shaun 16-02-14 11:26

Folks, Russ at oldbuckrestorations@hotmail.com will be making these boxes for my Mk1 in the next month. Drop him a line if you need a price .

RichardT10829 16-02-14 11:32

I can vouch for Russ's work, very very good indeed and a first port of call for anyone in Europe to go should they require bins and cannot afford the postage from the US...