MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Parts/Sources/Prices (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mystery Battery (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33593)

Dave Mills 07-08-22 03:11

Mystery Battery

3 Attachment(s)
Have come across these, British made and carrying the FV number my guess is that they are out of AFV's but unsure.
Cheers,
Dave.

Lynn Eades 07-08-22 11:46

In my ignorance, I googled the FV number. It was vague, but mentioned Austin Champ? Maybe a clue?

Lynn Eades 07-08-22 11:59

In my ignorance, I googled the FV number. It was vague, but mentioned Austin Champ? Maybe a clue?
FV verses AFV?

Matthew P 07-08-22 12:29

Being 6V and 115 AH that puts them on the smaller end of military vehicle batteries. American Jeeps, Dodges and GMCs with the 4 and 6 cylinder engines used similar sized batteries. While the tracked vehicles, radio platforms and larger trucks used a bigger battery. American armor ran on 12V either a single larger battery or two that were still bigger than these.

Hope that helps narrow it down.
Matt

Bruce MacMillan 07-08-22 18:41

16E shows up as a RAF stores prefix for mechanical transport, electrical equipment. Possibly something like a forklift or mobile loading platform?

Paul Singleton 08-08-22 00:27

Battery

It may sound odd but I have seen a similar type of terminal arrangement on solar system storage batteries, although the batteries are much larger. Could these batteries have been used for standby power, maybe for radio or radar equipment?

Richard Farrant 08-08-22 14:41

Although these batteries have a RAF stock code on them, the FV number and No.3 Mk.1 115amp shows them to be for a Centurion tank. The terminal type was also used on armoured vehicles such as Ferret, Saracen, etc.
The FV numbers are drawing numbers for items specific to 'Fighting Vehicles' and not for commonly available civilian market items.

Lynn Eades 08-08-22 21:53

Dave, have you just started collecting Centurian parts? :D

Dave Mills 09-08-22 01:07

Thank you for all of the input, what a wonderful collection of brains we have on the MLU :thup2: It makes sense to me that they are from AFV's due to the "FV" number and being so close to Puckapunyal the hunting ground of the Centurion, Saracen, Ferret etc. The last inspection tag on them is dated 1955 the right time frame for these vehicles in Aust service.

Cheers.

Richard Farrant 09-08-22 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mills (Post 288018)
Thank you for all of the input, what a wonderful collection of brains we have on the MLU :thup2: It makes sense to me that they are from AFV's due to the "FV" number and being so close to Puckapunyal the hunting ground of the Centurion, Saracen, Ferret etc.

Hi Dave,
Just to clarify, these batteries are listed in the British Vocab' of Stores as for Centurion. My reference to Ferret, Saracen ... was the type of flat terminals were also used on the 12v batteries for these vehicles.

Mike Cecil 09-08-22 15:48

Four per tank

Four per Centurion, linked to provide 24 volts. In the battery compartment at the front left floor of the fighting compartment. Not an easy place to get to for replacements.

Mike