MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ford 01Y Van, 1 ton, 4x2, Battery Staff, Wireless (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14775)

Nigel Watson 26-05-10 23:35

Ford 01Y Van, 1 ton, 4x2, Battery Staff, Wireless

1 Attachment(s)
Can any of my Australian friends help me with any details of the above vehicle. Anything, chassis and rear body, folding top etc. Working drawings would be great!! Photos would be useful too, have some. Getting all vegamitey with my vehicles now!

Thanks
Nigel

lynx42 27-05-10 13:08

2 Attachment(s)
Nigel, here's something which might help.
Regards Rick.

Dave Page 27-05-10 16:33

Hi Guys,
I like the megaphone next to the wireless operators seat, in case the WS fails?
Cheers,
Dave

Bob Carriere 27-05-10 19:18

No, no, no....

The megaphome was used to call back the poor chaps who sat at the rear behind the rear axle..... once they bounce out of the box you had to yell at them to find you in the following dust cloud.....

...on the other hand...rather nice vehicle to take you mother in law for a ride..... Sit back here mother dear..... enjoy the fresh air!!!!

Boob

Nigel Watson 28-05-10 00:11

Great

Haven't seen these pics, thanks Bob. What chassis was used? Was it the van one or truck?

Nigel

Nigel Watson 28-05-10 00:13

Ooops sorry wrong person!!

Sorry Rick it was you I meant to thank!! Bob I take that back unless you have any more photos!!!

Nigel

Lynn Eades 28-05-10 00:54

Megaphone

Does this remind anyone else of "Gonaphones"?

Mike Kelly 28-05-10 02:19

yes

My fav. vehicle but I always never managed to get one .... back in the 80's I came across a nice one in NSW ... but the old ownner wouldn't part ... its still there as far as I know .

I just missed a 11Y , the 1941 version with 9.00-16 wheels at a auction in 1990 ,again in NSW . Would be the best example around , it was half restored and sold to the tank man at Narre Warren - he also has a 39 version with the cameo grill ... he made up new ute section side panels ..very clever work , we had a tour of his worksop where the bits were.

Danny S. in QLD is currently restoring one , a 01Y .

John N. down Geelong has one too .. a 11Y he's restoring now .

I looked at a very stuffed 11Y near Werribee at a Garden centre ..totally stuffed it was and he wanted ridiculous money for it .

There are a few around
MIKE

Mike Kelly 28-05-10 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Watson (Post 131100)
Haven't seen these pics, thanks Bob. What chassis was used? Was it the van one or truck?

Nigel

the chassis is 122" wheelbase , standard FORD light commercial ...

the 1939 version with cameo grill has different brakes I think

MIKE

Bob McNeill 28-05-10 14:04

ford

2 Attachment(s)
spotted in southern sydney, plus one in the middle east with the old man.

Keith Webb 28-05-10 22:39

The one on the left

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob McNeill (Post 131159)
spotted in southern sydney, plus one in the middle east with the old man.

Desperately needs a generous coating of khaki (or other suitable military paint) doesn't it. It's just not right looking like that!

motto 29-05-10 03:09

Amen to that Keith. It's like seeing a Stude US6 civilianised, it really grates on the senses.
David

Lynn Eades 29-05-10 03:32

Paint

They never look right do they. I remember a 2 1/2 ton Jimmy in red.
Bob. Which one is your old man? The one in the short longs, or the one in the long shorts?

Bob McNeill 29-05-10 06:24

short longs

R B Mc is on the right, the chap in Bombay bloomers was attached to " Army intelligence" killed in N G. The door marking on the ute " y " is the key. Pic taken Baal Beck Plain in Syria during range shoot, several other unit members also shown. the thunder box behind and away from ute is vacant.

Keith Webb 29-05-10 08:18

Speaking of more appropriate colour schemes

How about this beauty?

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/...smart_Left.png

Tony Smith 29-05-10 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 131172)
Desperately needs a generous coating of khaki (or other suitable military paint) doesn't it. It's just not right looking like that!

Or no paint at all would look better still!

Tony Smith 29-05-10 17:17

Appropriate paint schemes

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 131205)
How about this beauty?

No, I think that paint scheme more appropriately belongs on this:

PS: Good heavens, how DO you stop this Threadjacker2000 program from Autoloading??

Nigel Watson 29-05-10 17:34

Hey!!

Quit high jacking my thread about pure vehicles to these wee easy to squash foreign bumps of thin metal!!!! lol Give me 01Y or C01UC any day....shame on you!!! lol (nice artwork though!)

Nigel