MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cdn Kawasaki KLR 250 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24426)

Robin Craig 07-09-15 13:44

Cdn Kawasaki KLR 250

Howdy,

any owners present or past on here who would care to share any words of wisdom on these bikes?

Are many in civvy hands in the MV world or did most end up getting bodged and civvied up?

Are they as simple and robust as they look?

Can you trace the CFR from the VIN?

I'm kind of in love with the 250cc size military bikes and am looking at one right now as a possible purchase.

Comments or PMs?

Robin

maple_leaf_eh 07-09-15 22:00

The VIN might be the serial number the Forces used to record the m/c. Since the online lookup tool has been shut down, you'll have to send them your $5 and do an Access to Information request.

Robin Craig 08-09-15 00:30

Terry,

I think if I was to do an ATIR then I would ask the question "please provide the serial numbers of all Kawasaki KLR 250 motorbikes purchased and their VIN and related CFR"

After that I would post the answer here and then that tranche is done.

Robin

maple_leaf_eh 08-09-15 04:47

Yes, and be as descriptive of the motorcycle too in case there are two similar buys. Not that that is as likely as with some contracts, but every detail helps. You might also remind them that the information might be found on the EDR or its replacement lookup application.

Ed Storey 08-09-15 12:58

KLR 250 Motorbikes

I have it recorded that there were 58 1992 models with a 95 CFR year and 17 99 models with a 20 CFR year. Unfortunately I don't have their VIN numbers.

rob love 08-09-15 14:11

By looking up each CFR number individually on the new CFR info pages, you can get the serial numbers. I recently had to do this for a M151A2. Took about 20 minutes as there are a lot more M151A2 numbers than there are motorcycle numbers.

Robin Craig 08-09-15 16:57

So there was two buys of bikes.

Is the CFR year the year of purchase then?

Anyone know the block of CFR numbers for those years?

Can anyone show me what a CFR plate on a motorbike looks like, i'm thinking it is a smaller plate?

Was the CFR stencilled on the bike or stamped anywhere?

We are getting some movement and all the info is greatly appreciated by me, thank you.

Can anyone show pictures of them in service, I'm thinking Clive has loads, I am sensing a book purchase is imminent.

Intrigued

Robin

rob love 08-09-15 19:51

There is only one size license plate in the CF so if it is a quad, a snowmobile, a motorcycle, a gator, or a 60,000 pound lav, it is all the same license plate.

The year digit is the year of delivery to the CF. CFRs for specific vehicle can be saved in blocks, but with delievery times, you can end up with different years in front of the 5 digit numbers from that block. For instance, deuces could range from 1952 right up to 1956. Same block of numbers but different year prefixes.

Not sure why the second batch of Kawasakis were purchased so far apart. By then the writing was on the wall for motorcycles.

Robin Craig 27-02-16 20:23

Great information,

does anyone have any photos of them in service? Any recollections of their usage? Were they good bad or indifferent?

What about markings and colours or variants of them?

I am keen to amass as much information in this one thread as possible for all who may or will buy them.

rob love 27-02-16 23:30

My only recollection of the KLR was that they had a tendency, when presented with hundreds of acres of barren land (suffield), to run into the only tree to be seen for miles.

chris vickery 28-02-16 02:35

Robin, the Kawasaki KLR is an excellent dual sport bike.
My friend owned a 650 version that would go like the devil.
Nice thing about these bikes is that parts are readily available right here in North America at any Kawi dealership...
I've been keeping my eyes open for one of the USMC versions in diesel.

Peter Phillips 28-02-16 18:03

Robin a friend of mine I was in the Forces with was the head instructor on motorcycles at CFB Borden for a number of years. I'll have to see if I can find him somehow to see if he has some info/pics for you. I'm a bit fuzzy on what type of bike they used? I'll let you know what I come up with.

Update: I've found out that the former instructor lives in Trenton, ON. This may work out nicely for you as I'm supposed to get his number shortly!

Robin Craig 29-02-16 05:30

Perfect, Trenton is only down the road from me, that is good news

Peter Phillips 01-03-16 02:32

While I patiently wait for his number (?), I was told that this site will have lots of info for you. Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group
http://www.cvmg.ca

Without divulging his name without permission, I'm told he works in the refuelling section at CFB Trenton :thup:

SteveJ 01-03-16 04:38

Hi Robin

I was looking at one of the CF 250 KLR's last summer. Nice robust little dual sport. I could not find any CFR marks on it. It was in the CF flat green. And like was said the local Kawasaki dealer can supply most of the bits. The bike stands real tall and has a nice feel to it. There are a few pics of them in service in Clives Canadian Motorcycle book near the back as they wee about the last. Id make sure all the military bits are there as it might be hard to source things like panniers etc. i almost bought this one but decided to go with the Armstrong as I need a bigger bike to haul the bigger me.

Robin Craig 20-04-16 05:37

Well,

as those who have looked at my signature block will notice, after a royal run around I now have a KLR 250.

What exactly and whose army exactly, god only knows.

I think it may be a Frankenstein but who knows.

Have a whack of spares with it. Just got in the door from buying it.

The adventure begins

charlie fitton 20-04-16 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 213858)
By looking up each CFR number individually on the new CFR info pages, you can get the serial numbers. I recently had to do this for a M151A2. Took about 20 minutes as there are a lot more M151A2 numbers than there are motorcycle numbers.

Is this "CFR info pages" of which you speak available to the unwashed masses?

thx

f

rob love 20-04-16 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie fitton (Post 223470)
Is this "CFR info pages" of which you speak available to the unwashed masses?

thx

f

Yes and no. A few serving members on this forum were providing the information. Last summer the more detailed database was removed, but a basic database still existed.

However, in the last year, a message was sent from the Army Commander to all with access to the Defense Internet System that information from the system was not to be given to the public. While I am pretty sure the information they were worried about may be a bit more sensitive than 20 year old CFR numbers, at the same time it is not our call to make. Nor is it worth my job or reputation if the DND wants to make an example of someone.

The information can still be had by making a freedom of information request along with $5. It is actually quite possible to request the information for all the vehicles in a fleet. For instance, you could ask for all CFRs and corresponding serial numbers and historic unit holding data on the Kawasaki motorcycles.

Kolten Hooper 20-04-16 21:05

Robin,
Congrats on your purchase. I too have been interested in these bikes lately so am looking forward to updates on yours.
Cheers.
Kolten

Robin Craig 23-04-16 18:26

So,

To refresh the subject,

To date no owners of ex CF KLR machines have posted and there are no pictures of them that anyone has to share, hmmmm.

Kolten can you email through the forum please?

Kolten Hooper 24-04-16 19:06

Email

Robin,
Email sent.

Gil Restiaux 19-05-16 19:56

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased a KLR 250 2 years ago, I had to replace the shock, clean the carb, new battery and it seems to run pretty good.

CFR 95-10907

Gil

Winnipeg

Robin Craig 20-05-16 06:21

Thanks for posting Gil, I did get your email but have yet to reply.

Can you show more pictures, especially the handle bar guards, there are a couple of types.

What about the rear lights, is there the convoy blackout one?

How was the CFR plate mounted?

Gil Restiaux 07-06-16 20:28

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple more pictures.

derk derin 07-06-16 23:42

Gil,
That's a nice licence plate! Cleaned up well. Nice job.
Regards,Derk.

rob love 10-06-16 01:12

They were used for minor tasks in the field, like bringing in IOR demands to service battalion and picking up small parts from service battalion and bringing it back to the first line unit. They could possibly carry messages too, but even by the 90s the army was way past that.

The advantage of a bike in the field was that it could snake ahead of a jammed up route blocked up with slow moving convoys. However, given the few tasks that remained in the military for motorcycles, they have joined honest politicians, the dodo bird, and the woolly mammoth into the history books.

frichtie 12-08-16 15:28

Well...I had one of those like 9-10 years ago. I sold it knowing I had a special little bike. That one was used by the MP in Valcartier.
Yesterday, I bought another one. I'll be picking it up on monday. It has only 4400 km on the clock and the engine was recently rebuilt. The bike is complete with its panniers, and it was rebuilt from the frame up. They are basically regular commercial bikes taken off the assembly line and painted flat green over the original ''purple''... My new KLR had its frame sandblasted and the correct color was applied.

I'll be posting pictures sometime next week. Meanwhile, I'm mostly going to try to gather as much informations as I can with the help of FB. (Maybe some on my former army buddies can remember if they've seen it and even better: They took a picture). The bike will receive its markings and I need to do it right. It was supposedly brought to Québec from B.C.

-Eric

Robin Craig 13-08-16 04:44

I have some green parts in NOS condition and some spares like black out light bits, some promised out west.

I have no panniers, no rear rack, no handle bar protectors, looking for them.

frichtie 14-08-16 00:44

A set of panniers were for sale on kijiji in the Fort Erie area a few months ago...
They were painted white with UN markings....
I remember they were $50.00!
I read somewhere that the klr 250 was used in Haiti.
Most military personnnal never heard of the klr250...and 99.9% have never seen it. Hard to gather infos on that particular vehicle!

frichtie 15-08-16 04:12

1 Attachment(s)
Look what I just found: