MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   M8 Greyhound Brakes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32626)

Brian Butt 20-07-21 16:50

M8 Greyhound Brakes

I figured I best ask here to see if the knowledgeable folks here would have any idea where to find brake hoses for an M8.
A couple of us are trying to get the M8 belonging to the Ontario Regiment Museum, back on the road. After a few issues with the wheel cylinders, now were are in need of new hose for the rear axle. 17.5 inches long.
Anyone have any ideas where to source one of these.

rob love 20-07-21 17:25

There are companies about that will make you up certified hoses for brakes. NAPA here in town (Brandon) was sending the older brake-lines in to Winnipeg where a company was making them up. That said, they were more expensive than the ones out of the catalogues. Prior to them doing it this way, you determined the size of the hose, the length, the fittings on the end, and you hit the catalogue to find whatever was closest.

Lynn Eades 20-07-21 23:16

I just posted the same in Darryl's thread.

Brian Butt 01-09-21 15:32

Well, there's good news and bad news;
We found a source for newly made hoses through a friend. But when refilling the brake system with fluid, we've discovered that all twelve wheel cylinders are leaking.
On the next trip to the museum we will open up one to see if it's the seals or the sleeves that are the issue.
:bang:

MikeV 16-10-21 17:05

return to the Brakes for Muesum grey hound

Hi everyone
I am the second half of the team for The M8 brake project . We have had the cylinders re sleeved but, they did a poor job, we installed all the newly done cylinders and they all leaked. we are in the process of honing and getting the grooves out of the new sleeves from the repair, any Idea where we can get the brake cyl. seals that fit in the older grooved pistons, we are running out of options,
thanks for your help. i will post Pics. Later.

maple_leaf_eh 17-10-21 02:08

M8 brake parts

Have you asked on Steel Soldiers forum? There are restorers there who've seen and done just about everything, or will have the only-one-left-in-existence 3rd line shop manual with the exploded views of everything. There is likely a commercial equivalent.

MikeV 23-10-21 15:52

M8 Greyhound

Thankyou for that we will reach out to them.

Big D 24-10-21 10:20

M8 brakes

Hi MikeV,

Did you find some cups for the old pistons? I might have some new ones left here. There is a guy in Belgium who I think still has stock of the NOS ones.

super dave 25-10-21 05:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 282569)
Hi everyone
I am the second half of the team for The M8 brake project . We have had the cylinders re sleeved but, they did a poor job, we installed all the newly done cylinders and they all leaked. we are in the process of honing and getting the grooves out of the new sleeves from the repair, any Idea where we can get the brake cyl. seals that fit in the older grooved pistons, we are running out of options,
thanks for your help. i will post Pics. Later.

I am not sure of the availability of these kits but a friend rebuilt all of his wheel cylinders using the Raybestos MK37 kits that come with the newer style pistons and cups with it and works great.

Brian Butt 26-11-21 20:01

Well after careful examination of the wheel cylinders, eleven of the fourteen are damaged, at least four are irreparable. We are now searching for twelve new cylinders. Anybody have a lead on some?
Once we have new ones we'll go with the Raybestos WK-37 piston kit.

super dave 27-11-21 02:29

PM sent regarding cylinders

Brian Butt 11-02-22 20:32

Well the saga continues, it appears that Raybestos no longer mages the WK37 kit, and no suppliers have them remaining in stock. I did find a equivalent made by Centeric, 144.80009, but it seems that they are or have stopped production as well. Does anybody know of a suitable replacement for the old GM# 5450435, Raybestos WK37 or the Centric 144.80009. A brake wheel cylinder rebuild kit 1 1/2" bore with cups, pistons and a spring?

Tony Smith 11-02-22 20:52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25528299770...IAAAzymjpStY0U

Big D 11-02-22 21:39

M8

Hi Brian,

I got mine from Ross Prince in Australia but I guess Tony’s EBay option is a bit closer to you.

Lynn Eades 11-02-22 23:33

Can you not buy the components separately, from a good brake supplier?