MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Information needed: data plate (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29484)

Rod Salter 25-10-18 00:32

Information needed: data plate

3 Attachment(s)
Info on this plate, please

What does it all mean?

If it is supposed to be lost

Well I found it - not far from where I am, in the grass, still attached to a vehicle

thanks rod

Attachment 103098 Attachment 103099

Attachment 103169

Rod Salter 29-10-18 03:03

here is the truck

Here is the truck, I added photo earlier

Rod Salter 01-11-18 07:01

3 Attachment(s)
Over 200 now

Can anybody lead me to where I might find more information, Please?

There is no engine, no steering

There is plenty of rust and a wireless tag

I think it is worth maybe $200 to $300 AU $s

I don't want the old lady to let it go to scrap, so how much?

Why do people let things go for scrap but don't seem to like stuff going to a person for similar or even more money?

cheers rod

Mike Cecil 01-11-18 19:56

Rod,

The GMH plate you mention in post 1 has nothing to do with the Army registration number: it is the production plate for the WO (War Office) Front End - the sheet metal structure forward of the main cabin frame.

The way to find and identify the vehicle in AWM126 is with the chassis number, as the painted-on registration appears to be long gone.

Looks like the sad remains of an Australian signals van.

Mike

motto 02-11-18 23:24

It's a numbers game.

The situation with CMPs in Australia is that there has always been (in my lifetime) plenty of them around. You could easily fill your yard with them and the reality is that there have always been more trucks available than people to care for them.. Over the years the scrappies have been a real opposition but now the price of scrap is so low the cost of aquiring an unrestored truck is usually easily within reach. It just remains to see how many people are interested in doing so. The current generation doesn't seem much interested as the previous generation drops away. Us older folk grew up surround by the people who had lived through and had fought the war so there was a connection with equipment from that era.
All things must pass.

David

Bruce Parker (RIP) 02-11-18 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by motto (Post 255476)
The situation with CMPs in Australia is that there has always been (in my lifetime) plenty of them around. You could easily fill your yard with them and the reality is that there have always been more trucks available than people to care for them.. Over the years the scrappies have been a real opposition but now the price of scrap is so low the cost of aquiring an unrestored truck is usually easily within reach. It just remains to see how many people are interested in doing so. The current generation doesn't seem much interested as the previous generation drops away. Us older folk grew up surround by the people who had lived through and had fought the war so there was a connection with equipment from that era.
All things must pass.

David

I completely agree, and would add that there are other factors slowing the number of CMP restorations as well. Farm finds are mostly picked over and being out in the weather for 70 years means you might have a lot of extra restoring to do. Then there's the cost of everything you buy from the auto parts store. Nothing is cheap, if you can even still find it. Last is the gold-like prices for original parts. Worth every penny if it's the last bit of treasure you need but to pay those prices for every part will bankrupt you and make the finished product cost way more than its market value.

If you're heart is set on restoring one (as it should be) the next hunting ground is that garage find owned by some well meaning but now elderly gent who has stockpiled every last bit for the beast but never got to it.