MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   blanking board (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15791)

kevin powles 28-11-10 18:26

blanking board

Hi, I have just made a blanking board from an original and was wondering about its storage location when not in use.

I understand the board is fixed to the forward stud of the gunners left side grab handle. Can anyone confirm that it would of been held in position by the same nurled nut as used on the engine covers 3/8" bsf? or a different type of nut?.

I recently dropped onto a copy of some hand written training notes regarding carriers, it specifys the carrier running temperature and use of the blanking board, i will dig out the details and post them here.

thanks kevin.

Jordan Baker 28-11-10 21:33

1 Attachment(s)
Kevin

From my understanding it was stored behind the gunners seat up front. As for the nut that holds it on ive got a picture for you.

RichardT10829 28-11-10 22:19

2 Attachment(s)
on my mk 1 i have a slot on the side of the hull where the gunners legs go (similar to the tin rail it sits on when its in the bulkhead) i always thought this was where the board went.

Jordan Baker 28-11-10 22:44

Richard

That little clip is for a big cleaning rod. Up inside the nose of the carrier there should be another bracket that is a tube. The end of the cleaing rod goes into that.

RichardT10829 28-11-10 22:58

is that the cleaning rod for the boys rifle ?

you learn something every day :)

Jordan Baker 28-11-10 23:01

Yes it should for the Boys

B. Harris 29-11-10 02:18

Blanking Board

1 Attachment(s)
See number 21 as it applys to the MKII. Hope this helps
Cheers...
Harris

Jordan Baker 29-11-10 05:04

Thanks Bruce.

I don't think the board can fit behind the seat in the Mk2 carrier as its a smaller back. On the Mk1 it fits nicely behind the lower seat adjustment rod. In my Cnd Drivers manual it lists the board as being stored behind the seat back.

Lynn Eades 29-11-10 07:27

Stowage

The stowage changed between the different Marks and models. I cant remember why, but I believe Jordan is correct for the MkI* Its hard to argue about the MkII* (now that we have a picture) As for Richards Bkt, I think it carries the D handled Vickers cleaning rod, that works for the Bren as well.

Ben 29-11-10 12:44

I think Lynn's right for it being for the "d" handle for the Lewis/Bren cleaning rod. The Boys rod folds into smaller sections i think.

Ben

Jordan Baker 29-11-10 14:00

I just checked the drivers manual again. It states that the "Rod, cleaning for Boys' Rifle... In clips on hull side plate left of gunner"

B. Harris 29-11-10 14:47

Board Stowage

As indicated on the stowage diagram, item 21 is either stowed over the rad intake, or wedged a slot/bracket to the left of the gunner feet, under no. 22 the map case.
Harris

rob love 29-11-10 16:22

Quote:

Rod, cleaning, Rifle, Boys, No. 2, Mk. I.—This is of steel, approximately 43-in. long, and has a rotating handle. The end is screwed for assembling, alternatively, the loop or wire brush as for the No. 1 rod. A sliding steel bush, provided for insertion in the recoil deflector to prevent muzzle wear, is secured to the handle by a chain and steel clip.
It is also arranged so that the •55-in. plug may be assembled to the rod when gauging the bore of the barrel.
There were two different cleaning rods for the Boys rifle. There was a no1mk1, and a no2mk1. The description for the number 2mk1 is given above.

kevin powles 29-11-10 18:19

Thanks for the clarification, sorry for posting this thread in the sales section, I will stowe it behind the gunners seat.

many thanks. :cheers: