MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The MLU Sappers Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   military bridging (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6617)

Les Freathy 23-07-06 01:20

military bridging

1 Attachment(s)
evening all

I put in a number of titles on bridging into the search with no results so guess there are no threads on this subject. Apart from the armoured types all of this type of equipment is carried by trucks of one description or another by most armies world wide. It is a facinating subject and one which i am sure will attract a good deal of responce.

To kick off i have included 3 photos of Albion 6x4 3 ton folding boat lorries
1. Crossing a stream in the Garigliano area in Italy as part of fifth army

Les Freathy 23-07-06 01:21

1 Attachment(s)
2nd Albion BY5 6x4 3ton

Les Freathy 23-07-06 01:25

1 Attachment(s)
3rd Two FBE carries during the crossing of the Rhine

Steve Guthrie 23-07-06 03:39

Military Bridging

Hi there

I've posted some photos and data here:

http://milifax2003.tripod.com/milita...ng_part_1.html

Steve

Les Freathy 02-08-06 00:31

1 Attachment(s)
Here,s a interesting thought, i have a number of British bridge carrying truck photos taken in the western desert now why would they go to all the time and effort not to mention valuable shipping space to transport trucks to a zone that has no rivers and if there were they must have been minimal. This photo shows a Karrier F.B.E MK2. Hey Bill any 6x4 bridging photos in your collection
Les

Les Freathy 05-08-06 10:17

1 Attachment(s)
A couple more for the Bridging thread, first a 3 ton Folding Boat trailer MK1 1938 these certainly were used during the early part of WW2 a large number being lost in france

Les Freathy 05-08-06 10:22

1 Attachment(s)
Second shows a pontoon or ponton which ever, suspended on sky hooks, note the Studebaker semis in the background and our intrepid camera man underneath , better him than me

David_Hayward (RIP) 05-08-06 11:10

Wadhis?

From my experience in Tunisia, there are loads of dried-up riverbeds and culverts that would require bridging over. It does of course rain in North Africa, and some on occasions! One night there was a torrential thunderstorm and the water that came down a wadhi washed half the beach away in one go!

servicepub (RIP) 05-08-06 20:53

From a British Army catalogue of service vehicles, dated 1931. The marking identifies the unit as the 17th Field Company, Royal Engineers. Census number is L19260

http://www.servicepub.com/images/file0755.jpg

Hanno Spoelstra 04-01-07 01:41

1 Attachment(s)
Another bridging vehicle, in this case a CMP 6-wheeler - C60X by the looks of it.

I think this is in Burma, saw a pic of a similar truck there.

H.

Stefan Leegwater 04-01-07 06:31

maybe

Hi Hanno,

Is it maybe a F60H, if you look at the rear end that looks like a timken bogie with the wishbones, and the location of the rearview mirror?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Stefan

Hanno Spoelstra 05-01-07 17:26

Re: maybe

Quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Leegwater
Is it maybe a F60H, if you look at the rear end that looks like a timken bogie with the wishbones, and the location of the rearview mirror?

What do you think?

I think you could be right, I wasn't sure when I first posted the photo (that is why I wrote CMP 6-wheeler). What made me think it could be a C60X was the shape of the front hub.

But I'm sure you will now run out of the house and take pictures of Lwd's F60H to teach us all about it's intricate details!

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 05-01-07 17:28

1 Attachment(s)
Personnel of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division Bridging Troop, Royal Canadian Engineers (R.C.E.), constructing a pontoon bridge across the Dortmund-Ems Canal, Meppen, Germany, 8 April 1945

Credit: Capt. Alexander M. Stirton / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-159176

Les Freathy 07-01-07 12:27

Nice photo Hanno, i would say that is a Diamond T with the Coles crane fitted. I have ahand book on the crane that shows a illustration of the truck and will post as soon as i can locate it
Les
How do you find these good photos on the canadian archives i get to it but do not seem to be able to find this type of material

Les Freathy 09-01-07 07:04

1 Attachment(s)
Folding boat equipment in use as a raft, looks to me as if it is being handballed across

Les Freathy 09-01-07 07:08

1 Attachment(s)
Pontoon bridge section being rowed across to link up with other sections , training in the UK circa 1941/2

David Potter 17-06-07 13:10

Albion BY FBE

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Freathy
3rd Two FBE carries during the crossing of the Rhine
Les,

You have a wonderful photo library!

These look like early Albion BY1 or BY3 with open cabs. VERY unusual to see them late war since more usual chassis was BY5 with deeper front panel and windscreen (as per your other photos).

I am still getting over a heart attack and resultant surgery and have yet to complete purchase of Geoff Hargrave's BY5N FBE. (I am having trouble attaching photos - instruction that photo must be less than 700x0 ?!)

If you have any more 44-45 era photos of FBE or Bailey pontoon lorries, I would love to see them!

David

cliff 17-06-07 22:19

Re: Albion BY FBE

Quote:

Originally posted by David Potter

I am still getting over a heart attack and resultant surgery and have yet to complete purchase of Geoff Hargrave's BY5N FBE. (I am having trouble attaching photos - instruction that photo must be less than 700x0 ?!)

David

Photos must be a maximum of 700 pixels wide. I normally put mine through photoshop and resize them to 700 wide and medium sized Jpeg images before posting.

David Potter 19-06-07 21:06

2 Attachment(s)
Right, here are the images I tried to put up last week!

Sorry for quality (lack of!) they were taken with my mobile phone on a foggy day. Somehow did not occur to me to take a camera when inspecting a vehicle for purchase!

Les Freathy 19-06-07 22:11

David thats a cracker, did you buy the truck must admit i have not come across that restored vehicle before. Currently sorting out some pics as you requested trust you are feeling a lot better now Cheers
Les

Les Freathy 19-06-07 22:32

1 Attachment(s)
David thought you might like this shot of a FBE dump prior to the nomandy landings
Les

David Potter 19-06-07 22:42

Albion BY5 FBE

Les,

Geoff was restoring the BY north of Skipton until his retirement forced "altenative storage" (on a farm!). I saw it last October and put down a deposit on the spot (this is only complete FBE in existance - unless someone here can tell me otherwise!); following heart attack I have yet to make it back to UK but things are on the mend and I hope to complete purchase and move it south before the summer is out!

David

Les Freathy 19-06-07 22:47

1 Attachment(s)
To keep the thread lively heres a Albion small box girder superstruture
cheers
Les

David Potter 19-06-07 22:50

1945 Rhine Crossing

1 Attachment(s)
In the same vein as Les' image of early cab FBE, here are some early (non windscreen) pontoon carriers. Date: 24-25 March; "General Ritchie (12 Corps) inspecting brdiging parties".

David

David Potter 19-06-07 23:05

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Freathy
To keep the thread lively heres a Albion small box girder superstruture
cheers
Les

Les, you have briliantly eclipsed me!

I was struggling for an image of "full size" SBG on British chassis (have an overhead shot of Diamond T975 - but had to resort to a 1/76 model for the Leyland Retriever!) to illustrate my series of drawn out replies to David Haywards question regarding LLB, SBG and TSB. Much of the vehicle load data and images would have been more appropriate here under the bridging thread! As a relative novice here I assume it is bad practice to copy posts from one thread to another?

Please keep the images coming Les; very much appreciated!

David

Noel Burgess 20-06-07 00:32

TSB

1 Attachment(s)
heres an Albion BY3 Trestle & Sliding Bay Lorry
Photo (credited to Albion Motors) appeared in one of the "Focus on Allied Softskins" articles by Mike Conniford in the now defunct B attle magazine (Feb 1977)

Noel Burgess 20-06-07 00:50

Ponoon

1 Attachment(s)
Leyland Retriever Pontoon Lorry (Conniford again)

Noel

David Potter 20-06-07 13:42

Small Box Girder - SBG

1 Attachment(s)
Karrier CK6 SBG

David Potter 20-06-07 13:43

SBG Body Drawing

1 Attachment(s)
SBG Body Drawing

David Potter 20-06-07 13:45

SBG Loads

1 Attachment(s)
SBG - Short Box Girder. SBG Mk2 & Mk3 was in use in 1939; obsolete in 1944 (replaced by Bailey bridge), although SBG Mk2 components were used in SBG assault bridge carried by Churchill AVRE in 79th Armoured Division.
SBG Load 1:
On frames: 4x Box sections; 2x Launching nose on top of box sections; 2x Launching cradles on rear ends of outside box sections.
In toolbox: 4x Cradle Pins; 16x Dogs.