MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sherman Firefly restoration (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28145)

JohnHipwell 07-11-17 19:01

Sherman Firefly restoration

I am a new member here but already known to several of you as I own and operate Wolverine Supplies. I am in the process of purchasing a Sherman Firefly, I will post photos as soon as the purchase has been completed. I will be in the market to purchase a quantity of parts. My intent is to fit a modern diesel engine in her but I am looking for an original 17 Pdr with breech and mantlet. Also need books and manuals as I have a huge learning curve ahead of me. All advice is most welcome.

Perry Kitson 07-11-17 21:45

Welcome to MLU John. You will find a wealth of information and encouragement here. Good luck on a speedy acquisition.

Perry

Tim Bell 08-11-17 00:30

John

I am restoring a Sherman Firefly...

www.facebook.com/T289477

Would be interested to know which Firefly you're buying... sent you a PM

Tim

JohnHipwell 08-11-17 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 244429)
Would be interested to know which Firefly you're buying... sent you a PM

Thank you Tim, I have e-mailed you, I await your reply with great interest! :cheers:

jdmcm 08-11-17 03:44

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome aboard John, I look forward to lending you a hand in any way possible...so nice to see classic tanks coming to Canada to bolster our numbers instead of going the other way!

Attachment 95411
Photo:MGM 1970

Oddball said it best..."a Sherman can give you a nice edge"

Hanno Spoelstra 08-11-17 14:03

Hello John,

Welcome to MLU!

Always interested to hear about Sherman tanks as next to CMP trucks, they are my main HMV interest. See my Sherman Register website and you are welcome to join the G104 mailing list or FB page.

If you don't have it already, make sure to buy the following book:
The Sherman Firefly by Mark Hayward
Publisher: Barbarossa Books; 1st Edition edition (September 2001)
ISBN-10: 0953877728
ISBN-13: 978-0953877720
Here's hoping you can share some pictures of your new acquisition soon!

HTH,
Hanno

JohnHipwell 08-11-17 18:37

Thanks Hanno, I ordered that book yesterday, I thought at least it would get me started. I look forward to eventually been ably to post photos of "my Tank".

John

Jon Hickman 09-11-17 01:30

2 Attachment(s)
Hi John,

Someone just messaged me about the tank you are buying from Ricardo.

You should be warned that this tank was sold to an Australian chap by Ricardo who could the not export it. After 3 years it was then purchased by myself off the Australian and it is now sitting on a farm belonging to a friend of mine in Argentina. I would be careful sending any money!!

KR Jon

Photos of the sherman being moved

Sherman tank photo

JohnHipwell 09-11-17 03:13

Thank you Jon, I just e-mailed you before logging in here and seeing your advice. Much appreciated. I must thank you, a good member and this forum from saving me from a lot of grief.

Cheers John

Jesse Browning 10-11-17 02:01

That's scary.