MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1942 ford f60l (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30003)

leo tomaiolo 09-04-19 22:32

1942 ford f60l

5 Attachment(s)
my recent purchase F60L. i have wanted a cmp for a long time and this kinda fell in my lap and it was a Ford, so i bought it. now most of you reading this that know my other projects tend to lean towards captured equipment reused by the german military. but breath a breath of relief i'm keeping this original Canadian military. overall this truck does not look to bad. some typical rust work and bed repair. but the drive line and axles and tires are in good shape. my short term goal is to get it to drive and stop enough to move it around the yard. and when i get a little farther on my carrier project then i'll put a long term plan together. but for now it's in my stable of Fords. so post some pictures and go from there.

leo tomaiolo 22-06-19 16:13

5 Attachment(s)
so i had to do some work on the f60l to be able to move it around. the brakes we stuck so i made a puller popped the drums off. the shoes and drums are in really good shape. i looks like some one was in these not that long ago so a little freshing up and it rolls quite easy. the engine is need of a valve job for sure. it did make some oil pressure when i was cranking it over so i'm hopeful the bottom end is ok. so i buttoned it up and it will have to wait it's turn to get done. it's like these 2 are old friends.

leo tomaiolo 22-06-19 16:26

5 Attachment(s)
so i'm starting to find some clues as to what this truck might have been. the front bumper appears to be original. and the bed has a tag still attached so i hoping to find out what it original purpose was. the cab has some of the interior left. there's a tag on the engine cover that states something about winch operation but i don't believe this truck ever had a winch on it. the cover and dash are grey so i pretty sure their not original to this truck. the 11.00x20 make my 7.50x20 look really small. and my helper in his glory. so i've put it in storage for a bit.

David Dunlop 22-06-19 18:24

Hi Leo.

Nice looking CMP. Also nice the body data plate has survived. The 5D4 is the Body Code Number. ‘5’ denotes the vehicle wheelbase size the body is intended for. In this case 158 inch, either Ford or Chevrolet. ‘D’ would be the type of body. In this case it looks very much to be a standard General Service (GS), or Cargo Body. The ’4’ denotes the fourth variation of this type. The serial number is directly across from the Body Code Number. There were a lot of body manufacturers during the war. The serial number indicates production from Brantford Coach for this body type only.

Top dead centre on the data plate is the Canadian Military C-Broad Arrow Acceptance Stamp and the three digit number to the left of it is possibly the Inspector’s Stamp Number.

The Ford Data Plates were frequently mounted along the top inside vertical face of the driver’s door, but not always.

David

Alex van de Wetering 24-06-19 12:15

Nice truck Leo!

"5D4" according to Servicepub's book would make it a Workshop version of the 5D1 GS body. Do I spot a little door in the left side front of the body?

It seems it might have had a taller radiator fitted at some stage(?) as the engine cover has been reshaped to a higher peak than standard.

Alex

leo tomaiolo 24-06-19 14:25

1 Attachment(s)
yes it does have a small sliding door on the drivers side of the bed. interesting about the hood. it did come with a radiator that looks original and does not stick up higher than the hood. but who knows what might have been fitted in it's past life. the hood does fit the sheet metal behind the grill pretty well.

leo tomaiolo 24-06-19 20:46

i did look thru several pictures of cmp's and the hood does appear to be peaked higher. i'll have to get a good look at this later tonight. i'll get a few pict's as well.

leo tomaiolo 12-07-19 22:29

5 Attachment(s)
the hood was most definitely modified to fit a taller radiator. i believe it's the original hood just stretched and welded. it will be an easy fix to bring it back to shape.

leo tomaiolo 16-01-21 19:48

4 Attachment(s)
still making progress. pulled the engine and sent it of the the machine shop. needs a some cylinder work and a valve job. next up was to get the cab off.

Harry Moon 16-01-21 20:02

ouch

the whole front clip should be off to pull the engine. so the radiator shrouds and possible a cross support are missing from the front. Try to get a manual online or otherwise. Very nice find.

leo tomaiolo 17-01-21 18:14

so when covid hit back in May my blaster closed up and it stopped work on my carrier. so i turned my attention to the cmp. i had pulled the engine around the same time i was hoping to be able to do a freshen up to the engine put it back in and drive it around the yard. once i really got into it the engine needed a major rebuild. and when i looked harder at the transmission and transfer case they both needed attention. top it all off someone tried to retro fit a newer? master cylinder to it. so it made sence to strip it. i do have the radiator shrouds but no cross bar. and i have a manual for it. there's no doubt i'm missing a fair amount for parts for it. and there's absolutely nothing around here for it. so i might be taking a trip north to do some shopping.

leo tomaiolo 17-01-21 18:32

5 Attachment(s)
the engine is off to the machine shop. had some water damage in two of the cylinders. and it for sure needs a valve job. it's an original 99 block. i'm missing the water pumps for it. got the bed off. and rolled the chassis into the garage. i built a temporary wall so i can heat the garage and work with out gloves. so i'm just about done removing all the drive line items. when i'm done with the front half i'll spin it around and do the back half. although there's not much to do.

leo tomaiolo 17-01-21 18:47

5 Attachment(s)
i found my frame serial number. it's messy, typical Ford. lol. the transmission number doesn't match the frame. not surprised. and it appears that i'm missing my poppet vale for the brakes. luckily the mechanism for the master cylinder and frame bracket are there. it looks as though i could operate the brakes with out it although i'm sure it needs it with these size tires.

Hanno Spoelstra 17-01-21 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo tomaiolo (Post 275848)
there's no doubt i'm missing a fair amount for parts for it. and there's absolutely nothing around here for it. so i might be taking a trip north to do some shopping.

Which parts do you need? The mechanicals are all US Ford based. The brake master and wheel cylinders can still be bought new.

Post a wanted list here and let's see what the group here can rustle up.

Phil Waterman 17-01-21 23:55

Great to see another CMP being restored NE USA

Hi Leo

Somehow missed your earlier post, great to hear another CMP being restored in NE USA hope once things get back to normal you can bring your F60L up to the Weare NH Rally, with my trucks and if Bob brings his down we could have a record gathering of CMPs.

Record at least for the US, what's the record gathering (post 1950 ) for Canada, think we all know that Corwa holds the Australian record?

Cheers Phil

Harry Moon 18-01-21 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo tomaiolo (Post 275848)
so when covid hit back in May my blaster closed up and it stopped work on my carrier. so i turned my attention to the cmp. i had pulled the engine around the same time i was hoping to be able to do a freshen up to the engine put it back in and drive it around the yard. once i really got into it the engine needed a major rebuild. and when i looked harder at the transmission and transfer case they both needed attention. top it all off someone tried to retro fit a newer? master cylinder to it. so it made sence to strip it. i do have the radiator shrouds but no cross bar. and i have a manual for it. there's no doubt i'm missing a fair amount for parts for it. and there's absolutely nothing around here for it. so i might be taking a trip north to do some shopping.

Be proud! You have a lot more than most to start with. All you need is some pictures to fabricate the radiator shrouds and missing bits from the front end, self serve on those. Some measurements of a radiator to see if you have the right one.

leo tomaiolo 18-01-21 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 275854)
Which parts do you need? The mechanicals are all US Ford based. The brake master and wheel cylinders can still be bought new.

Post a wanted list here and let's see what the group here can rustle up.

as far as the mechanicals go, i was able to source all the drive line and engine parts. it appears that i'm missing some cmp only parts. once i get a list together i have no doubt that i will find most if not all of what i need here on this great site.

leo tomaiolo 18-01-21 21:58

Hi Leo

Yes 2022 is probably a better bet. We are planning for a Rally this year but if it happens it will be a lot smaller. Where is the Tank Rally? I do the newsletter for our club and would enjoy putting that in our calendar once it gets (excuses the pun) back on track.

Cheers Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 275861)
Hi Leo

Somehow missed your earlier post, great to hear another CMP being restored in NE USA hope once things get back to normal you can bring your F60L up to the Weare NH Rally, with my trucks and if Bob brings his down we could have a record gathering of CMPs.

Cheers Phil

i have been wanting to get up to the Weare rally for a while now, but it seems like it's on the same weekend we do our tank event. i would very much like to see another functional cmp. 2022 would be a realistic date for me and my cmp. we are not doing our tank event so maybe i'll come up with my 41 this year.

leo tomaiolo 06-07-22 21:56

5 Attachment(s)
some more progress. sand blasted the frame and a bunch of small parts. made some collars to protect the tires from the blasting and paint. Attachment 129352

Attachment 129353

Attachment 129354

Attachment 129355

Attachment 129356

leo tomaiolo 06-07-22 22:06

3 Attachment(s)
i struggled with the paint. the color seems to elusive. of course i looked here and in some publications. but matching the paint was difficult. the computer eye that matches the paint was putting to much brown. so i ended up using RAL 7008. seemed to be a really close match. and i can get it mixed to match in the future real easy.

leo tomaiolo 01-06-23 22:10

1 Attachment(s)
so it looks the end of the road for the F60. it was missing to many parts and the parts truck turned out to be a better candidate for restoration. since i'll be using the cab from the F60. i'll be left with the rolling chassis and bed. maybe i'll put those up for sale in the future. probably keep the 20" wheels though, do some wheelin.