MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Canadian Mk2 19 set up and running (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29167)

RichardT10829 24-07-18 23:17

Canadian Mk2 19 set up and running, query regarding Radium content ?

Well I got the 19 set back from a pal and it’s running great, the A and B sets have been sympathetically decommissioned.

There was mention that these sets may contain Radium ? Anyone know what the craic is with this ?

Bruce MacMillan 25-07-18 07:47

To the best of my knowledge the only radioactive item on the Canadian/US sets is the glass bead on the end of the PSU switch. Simple test is to look for brown colouring on dials, meters, etc. Radium lasts a while but the phosporous doesn't. It turns a brown colour that can indicate presence of radium.

Note to self, look for geiger counter at Warren Piece.

RichardT10829 25-07-18 08:50

Cheers buddy, alas I won’t make it to W&P this year.

I did note that there was some sort of green oxidisation on the top of the psu switch, I might just change it out to be safe !

Just wanted to check there was nothing else on the set I should be wary of innthat respect.

Chris Suslowicz 27-07-18 12:25

It's safe enough behind the glass bead, and changing that switch is not a task to be undertaken lightly - even if you can get an equivalent (4-pole 2-way centre-off) switch. To get at it involves the almost complete dismantling of the supply unit, something I'd only consider in the event of smashed fuse holders. or other major damage

Chris.

RichardT10829 28-07-18 12:41

Chris, I may need to image the switch as there is no glass bead on the end, its chrome but with clear green paint on the tip which is scraped away.

I will get a snap of it when I get home, see what you think.

Cheers

Richie

Chris Suslowicz 28-07-18 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardT10829 (Post 252522)
Chris, I may need to image the switch as there is no glass bead on the end, its chrome but with clear green paint on the tip which is scraped away.

Ah, I was thinking "Supply Unit No.2" which has a wildly different switch.

The only real test is a geiger counter, but...

Paint that looks "burned brown" may well be radioactive (and the phosphorescent zinc sulphide that caused it to glow has been rendered non-luminous).

Paint that is light green may be plain zinc sulphide luminous variety: shine a strong light on it in a darkened room; if it glows after you turn the light off it's the safe variety.

Chris.(G8KGS)

RichardT10829 28-07-18 23:12

1 Attachment(s)
Psu no.1 it seems

RichardT10829 28-07-18 23:13

1 Attachment(s)
Toggle switch

Bruce Parker (RIP) 29-07-18 01:51

Nothing radioactive there. Just somebody doing the emerald paint treatment. It's the right switch so just steel wool the knob and be done with it.

RichardT10829 29-07-18 10:38

ok will do, cheers guys.